1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ambient temperature sensor (help! Not about getting wet!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by aspiringnobody, May 17, 2016.

1. aspiringnobody

aspiringnobody Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, everything starts small:

I recently purchased a 2012 Prius two not II because only 2010 used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation checked carfax, did a visual with the car on a lift, no signs of accident repair. All looks good.

I was investigating why the outdoor temperature was displaying as -- on the hvac controls, and eventually discovered that the sensor was missing! Only after removing the splash guards did I see the true horror - lots of stuff under there has been zip tied together very cleverly to disguise the accident damage. The metal bumper is undamaged and has my vin. Looks like at some point the bumper cover got ripped off the car.

So. That happened.

The harness that should run above the bumper that powers the horns and the temp sensor is also missing. The horns have been bypassed directly to the relay in the power distribution center, so they work. The wires are even wrapped in factory looking cable sleeves.

But, the real horn power supply and temp sensor wires have been clipped behind the drivers headlight. Replacement temperature sensor in hand, I wanted to attach to the factory location, but it's damn near impossible to access, and I'm not really ready to take the bumper cover off at this point (that's gonna be costly for sure)!

So TL;DR: does anyone know another place I can splice into the ambient temperature sensor wiring that's more accessible?

- Evan

P.S. Is the red triangle of death actually yellow on the 3rd gen? Or is my red triangle burnt out? It doesn't light at all on startup, just the yellow one to the left of the speedo.

Edit: I did take it to Toyota and they've confirmed with the scantool that the airbag sensors are intact and functional and that the airbags are armed.