1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AMEC Economy Run Competition - Test Your Skills!

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by Matt Herring, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm planning to attend this event in August and figured I'd post it here to see if any other Prius drivers would like to join in the fun. Close to 100 mile economy run so a good test of your hypermiling skills. It's all in fun and a cool event! If you're interested you can contact Mike (info at the bottom of this message). Let me know if you're going with your Prius...would be great to have a few there! :D

The Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club would like to invite you to participate in Economy Run III

What: Fuel mileage contest through the southern Adirondacks of NY. The route will be on really scenic and challenging roads [mild grades] and will run approx. 94 miles in distance. Your “economic†driving ability will be tested. Cars will be filled with fuel by an AMEC official and be sent off at one minute intervals. There will be a time limit to complete the run. Any street legal vehicle is allowed to participate, [including motorcycles]. This event will run rain or shine.

Where: The starting spot will be at the [ethanol free] Fairway Oil gas station on Route 5 in Fonda, NY. Physical address is 40 E Main St, Fonda, NY 12068. Take NY Thruway Exit 28. After the toll booth, turn left onto Riverside Drive. Then turn right onto South Bridge Street and go over the bridge. On the other side of the bridge is a traffic light. You can see Fairway Oil and Gas on your left. Turn left onto Route 5 and enter the station.

When: Sunday, August 23rd, 2009. Arrival time will be 8:00-8:30am, first car off at 9:00am. They have gas and diesel and have a large enough parking lot that we won’t be in the way.

Cost: $10 per vehicle plus $8 per car for lunch at the awards picnic by the lake. [see "Awards" below]

Awards include:

1. Best overall mpg for gas cars [1st, 2nd, and 3rd places]

2. Best overall mpg for diesel and hybrid cars [1st, 2nd, and 3rd places]

3. Best Historic car ['79 and earlier - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places].

Note: If we get more than one motorcycle we will add a class for them.

Finish: will be at the Citgo located at 746 NY-30, in Northville. They are less than a mile from Northampton Beach Campground and their lot is plenty big. It will be on your right as you're heading on Route 30 south in Northville.

Awards and Lunch: This event will conclude about noon, and we will be having our A.M.E.C. summer picnic immediately following the event. All Economy run participants are invited to join us for awards and a picnic lunch at Northampton Beach Campground located on Housmann Street, in Mayfield, [it's actually closer to Northville] NY. Their website is HERE. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the map links. The picnic pavilion and beach are right on the shore of beautiful Sacandaga lake. Hamburgers, hot dogs, and soda will be served. This park is only about a mile from the Citgo station where the event concluded.

To register for this event: Please contact Mike Kamm at (518) 674-0520 or via email: mkamm [at ] juno [ dot] com. Or just simply reply to this thread with your name, year/model car. The vehicle count will be limited so please sign up before this event is full.

2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For those interested...the AMEC Economy Competition in Fonda, NY was a great event this past weekend! Hobbit and I were the only Prius entered in the competition. I took 2nd in the Hybrid/Diesel car class with 76 mpg and Hobbit took 3rd in the same class with 74 mpg so Priuschat was well represented at the event!

The course was 104 miles long and very challenging with huge elevation changes. From the start line to the highest point on the course the elevation was more than 1500 feet higher...very demanding route.

I posted some pics of Hobbit and my cars. I also included a pic of the winner of the event who drove a heavily modded 1989 Honda CRX that got 118.18 mpg on the course...amazing numbers!

If you have never been to one of these events it is a great time...highly recommend the AMEC in Fonda, NY!

Attached Files:

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I want to hear more about the CRX

4. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I remember correctly...

The guy was from MA and had a racing background (and runs a performance auto business there). His CRX was stripped down with all the extra weight removed including the seats (except the drivers seat). The aero mod on the front of the car is the most remarkable but he was heavily modded beyond that as well. He taped off all the seams in the car for aero, lowered the car to a 2-3" clearance and had side skirts.

The most remarkable thing about his car is that he was running LRR snow tires from Nokian. He said they are incredible for economy...snow tire...who would have thunk it!

1 person likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if you look carefully at the "Mt. Washington" sticker in
    pict0049, you'll see that it's not exactly the stock one they
    issue at the gate when you go up the auto road...
    _H*

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunately I was out of the country. Congratulations to both winners! Maybe next time...