1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

American Muscle

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Nov 27, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone been keeping an eye on the car market?

I have a 1972 Mustang Convertible: its a Mach-1 running gear, with a rag top body. (factory ordered)
    I check the auction price and it was 38k in a #2 condition.

After seeing this I have been checking into other collectable vehicles.. "Wheel Estate"

So I purchased a 1979 Firebird it was clipped on one side so the owner parked it.... Im restoring it now.. :) Im flipping cars! :lol: :lol:

The housing market is in the dumps but the car market as long as its a muscle car seems to be thriving....

My mustang only gets driven on Sundays to the local Star Bucks and I dont drive it in the rain unless it rains while Im out....

The firebird Im going to sell for 9500 obo... :)
    At the Auction it would bring in 11-14k (in dream land) ;)

I believe this is a good way to make some extra cash, as long as a profit can be made.. B)

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 27 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]544752[/snapback]</div>
    The market for collectible cars is based on supply and demand (as well as the availability of parts for the cars). I put myself through college restoring Series I (enclosed headlights) E-type Jaguars.... Some of the more exotic parts (glass headlight covers for example) were getting scarce toward the end - could only get them from England....

There will always be a market for clean, well-cared for muscle cars (even if they only get 10 mpgs). I am continually amazed at the prices that are paid for pristine examples at Barrett-Jackson auctions.

Just leave enough room in your margins to not have to eat any hiccups in the market when you sell the car.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Nov 27 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]544763[/snapback]</div>
    True, Barrett-Jacksons prices are just sickening... They had a show that had a guy with a 65 pontiac with tri-power for 60k, they ran the VIN and found out it didnt come with the tri power option. The vehicles overall worth dropped 30k.. The numbers should match when selling a car to a collector, other wise slap them in the autotrader..... ;)

I go by the collectors price guide and when dealing with vehicles 79 & up black book/blue book guides it really shows what the car is really worth as to what the seller wants you to pay....

The next car will be a 1965 Ford Fairlane we are going to paint it up just like a Mayberry squadcar.. B)
    [​IMG]
    it will be for car shows.... B)

I restored a 1965 Cadillac Volunteer M/M Model Ambulance back in 1992, paid 600 for it and in 2yrs sold it for 6k. I dropped 3k into the restoration & made a 3 k profit..
    [​IMG]

4. sbradyny

sbradyny New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Nov 27 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]544752[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with you. 3 years ago I bought a 1971 Mustang convertible for $7250. I'm always checking out the prices on Mustang convertibles, and other Muscle cars, and I think they are a really good investment.
    My Mustang is in hibernation for the winter in up-state New York. Barrett Jackson brings the people who have more money than brains, but it makes for great entertainment. Besides, I like to look at the cars that are for sale. If you ever find a 1972 "Sprint" edition Mustang convertible, buy it, they only made 50 for the cherry blossom parade in Washington D.C.

5. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just bought a 1966 Mustang for $6600 off ebay. It's for my 16 year old daughter. Spoiled kid gets her dream car for her very first vehicle. She is beyond thrilled.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't it you not so long ago that wanted to be adopted? Are you sure you wouldn't like more kids? I'd love a Jaguar, Mom. Pleeeaase? :D

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The cars of yesteryear are sure fine to look at at old car shows. But as was stated before parts become scarce and the price goes up on the parts that are still availible. Thank goodness that there are so many aftermarket parts availible for the Fords, Chevys, Pontiacs & Mopars.

I really liked the Ambulance, we would drive it to the drive-in and when ever they had on a grade B flick on (you know the ones, where the girl always removes her shirt) we would tap the coaster and it would sound like a dirty old man sitting on the back row. "MMMMMmmmmm".

I paid 600 for the ambulance, put 500 in it, and sold it for 5k.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nothing emphasizes how timeless a design is as when the manufacturer releases an updated version (Ford with the latest Mustang, GM with the Camaro Concept).

10. sbradyny

sbradyny New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please don't forget the 2008 Dodge Challenger! I saw the one and only, prototype at the Miami new car show, and it looks better than the original 1970 Dodge Challenger! I guess the saying "What's old is new again" is true.
    BTW, The Jackson 5 is planning a concert tour.:lol: