1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amount of battery used for EV only driving

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by davidewart45, Aug 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. davidewart45

davidewart45 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I have a 2020 Prius Prime. The specs say it has an 8.8kWh battery.
    But I am just now experimenting with an energy monitor to track charging (using a standard 110V).
    Plugging in from empty to full charge showed as 6.2kWh.
    Is this because the hybrid mode reserves 2.6kWh of the battery's capacity?
    Given that the traction battery is not drained to zero before the hybrid mode kicks in, what is the trigger point? How much charge is needed to "fill" the traction battery by plugging in?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the traction battery is less than 30% charged you won’t be able to engage EV mode and you get a message saying so. That’s 30% of the total traction battery not the EV portion.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all of it is for the hybrid mode. There is reserve for longevity too. 8.8kWh is the gross capacity and you’ll never have access to the full amount, especially if you want it to last 8-10 years and the 160,000-240,000km warranty.

@john1701a website will have more information but IIRC, a full charge (100% on the battery meter) is about 84% true SOC. (So there’s a 16% top buffer) and “empty” is 14% true SOC with a drained HV portion dropping that to 11% true SOC.

Taking 84% to 14%, that’s 70% of the battery. 70% of 8.8kWh is 6.16kWh. Yeah that’s close enough to what you’re reporting.

davidewart45 likes this.
  4. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This grahic I created helped me understand better. Traction Battery explained.jpg

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your 6.2kWh on L1 for a full charge is rather low. With L2 EVSE, I have read reports by others saying 6.0-6.3kWh for a full charge is common. But with an L1, most people report that the average is 6.5-6.8kWh. The reason L1 is higher than L2 is due to less conversion efficiency and a longer period of charge period (6 hrs for L1 vs 2 hr for L2) using fans and monitors for the charging.

The data and graph below are my own record on my 2021 PP for the monthly average of kWh of electricity drawn from the wall for a full charge. The number of kWh is extrapolated for 100% even when only partial SoC was charged. In fact, the partial charge extrapolated for 100% is more consistent than using the "real" 100% full charge since you can not assess the amount of SoC % used after the EV range is depleted. My 13 months average for a full charge is 6.67kWh.

Also, the use of "battery heater", "battery cooler", and "climate preconditioning" all use the traction battery kWh and increase the total kWh drawn from the wall but they do not end up stored in the traction battery when you unplug. In my record below, the Dec average was 7.22kWh which is higher than any other month. This is due to the fact that I had the "traction battery heater" function turned on. For subsequent months, I turned off the "battery heater" function and the number became consistent. I have never used the climate pre-conditioning or battery cooler functions.

There is some conversion loss, so not all the kWh from the wall ends up being used for the traction of the car. My estimation is that ~85% of the L1 wall charge or 5.65kWh (6.65kWhx85%) total is actually used for the EV mode portion of the traction SoC.

upload_2022-8-28_10-48-0.png

6. davidewart45

davidewart45 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Thanks for all of the above responses. Given all the variables you all have pointed out, I can see that there is no precise "Full Charge kWh" figure. My second charge today was 6.34kWh.
    But even given all the variables, I think it would be helpful if Toyota would say somewhere that is easily discoverable, something like "When fully charged, EV mode will use X kWh (or X %) of the traction battery's 8.8kWh capacity." Or.