1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amsoil vs Mobil 1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ScottY, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I plan to use extended drain interval after my warranty is up. During warranty, I will use OEM parts and drain interval. So I am studying which oil/filter is best for the job for extended drain interval. Want some expert opinion on this.

Oil:
    According to this website, http://www.lubeoilsales.com/amsoil_vs_mobil1.htm. Amsoil out performs Mobil 1 in all areas. But the site is an Amsoil dealer website, so the test is questionable. I try google, but have no luck coming up with independent source of the comparison.

Filter:
    This picture comes from WHATS THE BEST OIL? thread by ekpolk
    [​IMG]

Construction wise, Mobil 1 seems to be very good. But the filtering media might not be as good as Amsoil's EaO filter's. From Mobil 1's website
    While the Amsoil EaO filter uses FULL synthetic filtering media.
    Amsoil EaO filter construction
    [​IMG]

Amsoil EaO filter spec is 98.7% efficiency @ 15 microns per ISO4548-12. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter spec is 99.2% under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test. Can't really compare these two numbers since they are obtained under different tests. Mobil 1's website did not say what particle size their filter can filter out. Amsoil EaO filter is guaranteed 25,000 miles or one year if used with AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil. Mobil 1's Extended Performance oil is guaranteed up to 15,000 miles/1 year, but did not say anything about their oil filter.

For now, I'm leaning towards the Amsoil oil filter. As for the oil, still researching on independent tests. What do the experts think?

2. kDB

kDB New Member

3. egb6550

egb6550 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Sep 2 2006, 05:50 AM) [snapback]313019[/snapback]</div>
    Great comprehensive studies so which is better? Seemed to say change the filter every 5k synthetic oil at 8k.. too many words though for me to find the slick info. I'm going back to 3rd grade and really learn how to read this time.

4. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    A couple things to keep in mind. First, Amsoil sales websites are a dime a dozen. There are literally thousands of them out there (try google-ing "Amsoil" and just see what happens...). Sadly, Amsoil doesn't do the greatest job in policing the ethics of some of its sales people, and you'll see some frankly outlandish claims on some of these sites.

Second, you can't just say "Amsoil" does better than M1. There are dozens of different Amsoil motor oil products, targeted at different markets and performance needs. Whether or not a given Amsoil product outperforms one of the M1 products (there are, btw, three different 5w-30 Mobil-1 oils at the moment too, standard, EP, and new TSUV) will depend mostly on how you use your car in your circumstances and environment. Most all will do great in the vast majority of cases.

Here is the real main Amsoil site (corporate, not reseller): Click here for Amsoil Home.

And here is is the motor oils sub-page: Click here for Amsoil Motor Oil Info.

Please join us over on Bobistheoilguy.com. You'll find a more evenhanded discussion of the relative merits of the products available. Amsoil products are well respected by most (check out their used oil analysis results -- hard to argue with), but they also have a firmly established reputation for somewhat hyperbolic advertising. Do also keep in mind that only the XL line (which happens to be a Group-III product, unlike the other lines that are IV/V oils) is API licensed. OTOH, all Mobil-1 products are API SM and GF-4.

Now, let the hard thinking begin. . . ;).

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    For now, I'm leaning towards the Amsoil oil filter. As for the oil, still researching on independent tests. What do the experts think?
    [/quote]

Scott, If you decide to go for Amsoil, we can buy a case and splitt the final product ;)
    Regards

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for all the replys. Actually, I did couple of search on Bobistheoilguy website. I'll hang around there to get more info.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Sep 2 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]313301[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Horacio, it will be a while before the end of warranty period. I am still at 30k, and I got the extended for 100k. I'm just doing some research on these things. So hang in there~ :p

Have a wonderful holiday everybody!

7. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, My coworker just bought an 07 Audi A3 and the manual states that synthetic oils can be changed at 15k miles without voiding the warranty.
    I use Mobil 1, and just tried the 15k Extended Mobil 1 on my last change on my 04 Prius. It's a dollar more a quart, but saves money with one third of the oil changes.

Filters, I don't kow (change every 5k or 15k).

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ Sep 7 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]316044[/snapback]</div>
    Hi 200Volts! Great to hear that. You have UOA report of the oil by any chance?

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    About the only real knock I have against Amsoil is their Multi Level Marketing approach. The local Canadian Tire stores here have started carrying Amsoil for $2.50 a litre more than Mobil 1, which is a good $2-$4 a litre cheaper than the many Amsoil "distributors."

I've been running used oil analysis on my 2004 Prius while slowly upping the oil change interval. Oil changes at 7,000 miles are trivial with Mobil 1 and the Toyota filter.

10. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ Sep 7 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]316044[/snapback]</div>
    You've stumbled over one of my personal pet peeves. Running oil longer than the recommended interval will NEVER, I repeat NEVER void your warranty, at least not in the US. If you go over/longer than the recommendation, AND the manufacturer can prove that doing so caused damage that you're claiming under the wty, then they can deny that claim. This does not, however, void your wty in any way. Even if the mfr succeeds in winning a wty claim denial in court, the wty remains in full force and effect as to other claims. Obviously, it's best not to play with fire while you're within wty (avoiding a fight, even if you will win it, is almost always best, IMO), don't let them cow you with threats of "voiding" your wty -- no such animal!

Do note that aftermarket "extended"wtys are a different animal, and CAN be jeopardized. If you have any questions about them, see a lawyer in your jurisdiction.

11. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Sep 7 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]316092[/snapback]</div>
    No analysis was done.

12. LongRun

LongRun New Member

If you go to bobistheoilguy.com you might find the latest synthoil news of interest. Evidently someone that works in a lab tested Mobil 1 and found it to be mostly a Group III oil with very little Group IV or Group V components at all. Mobil, of course, won't answer any questions about how much of ther oil is Group III and how much is anything else. As you remember, Mobil 1 complained that Castrol Syntec when is a Group III based oil called is a synthetic oil. Mobil's complaint was thrown out. So the speculation is that Mobil redid their Mobil 1 oil and removed most of the expensive components and now the oil is mostly a Group III product, like Syntec but with a Group IV price. Mobil as even added a new more expensive version called Mobil 1 EP. No one has been able to figure out what the changes are and the used oil analysis reports are not much help, either. Beyond Amsoil's flaky marketing this kind of monkey business on the part of Exxon Mobil is beginning to make Amsoil products look a lot better.

I'm also looking for a synthetic oil for my 07 and have not made a choice, yet. I'm looking elsewhere.

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Anybody every heard of "Lukas" Synthetic engine oil? They had that at Pep-Boys yesterday.

14. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I usuallly use the Mobil1 filter because I believe that it is just as good as K&N and Amsoil. Mobil1 lasts me 15,000miles with Redline or Royal Purple oil.

15. LongRun

LongRun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 20 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]352121[/snapback]</div>

What viscosity oil are you using?

16. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Nov 20 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]352353[/snapback]</div>
    I purposely use 5w20 instead of 5w30. I *personally* feel that i achieve a smoother engine and better MPG and I don't need 5w30 in LA. 5w30 is best all around as suggested by Toyota engineers.

17. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    OK, so I'm going to switch to sync oil this next oil change..... where is the best place (cheapest) to buy the sync oil and filters???

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 20 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]352378[/snapback]</div>
    Here in Canada Wal Mart is good for Mobil 1. Superstore (grocery store) price is about the same as Wal Mart. All others are higher. I think the Mobil 1 oil filter is made by Champion, if I recall correctly from the oil filter thread.

Do read the synthetic oil thread before choosing which oil to use. It appears there may be even better choices than Mobil 1. I use it and am happy with it, but check out the consensis on the bobistheoilguy site.

19. LongRun

LongRun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 20 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]352121[/snapback]</div>

The K&N oil filter is different than a Mobil 1 or Amsoil filter. It's a good quality filter made by Champion just like the Mobil 1 filter. The difference is that the K&N filter is build for more flow and because of that does not filter down to as small a particle size as does the Mobil 1 or Amsoil filter. If for some reason you want more flow it would be the choice, but more flow is probably not needed in most stock motors.

20. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III