1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An awesome alternative to Satellite radio (Free!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jasoninmass, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jasoninmass

jasoninmass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cant believe I was considering getting the pricey Satellite radio receiver installed and paying for a Sirius/XM subscription!

I found a better solution... and its free! Not to mention the method below doesnt have annoying talking dj's and the music doesnt cut out under bridges and large buildings.

All I simply did was download the free "Pandora" app to my cell phone, choose my favorite music playlists, and connected my phone to the aux port in my Prius. Voila!

The quality of music is awesome... I am so happy with this solution for music in my car..yay!!

Heres the link to get more info on Pandora..enjoy!

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

FYI: This solution works with most smart phones..I have an Sprint HTC Evo w/Android

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uh, your internet connected phone is free?

3. jasoninmass

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No...its assumed you have Internet on your phone.

4. mesojdm

mesojdm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wanna know whats even more better? Pandora Skip Hack on your phone(i.e UNLIMITED music skips and ZERO ADS) without paying for pandora One
    :)

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lousy assumption. Some of us are still too cheap to pay for phone service with internet.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, even though I have an iPhone 4 (w/lowest voice plan, no text message plan and grandfathered into unlimited data), Virgin Mobile has $200 Android phones but they have plans w/unlimited texting and data for as little as $25/mo and no contract. See Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile.

Pandora's been out for Android for awhile now and I've used it on my iPhones and Android before.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh. Triple the annual cost of Tracfone or ATT prepaid, with an even worse coverage map.

8. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why not try HD radio? Totally free, no subscription and very high quality. Plug radio into AUX jack.

9. jasoninmass

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not familiar...but there has got to be some sort of receive you need to buy for HD radio?

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OTA (over the air) HD radio is free but programming choices are greatly determined by your local radio market. Here, I get one station; luckily it's the one I want.

Besides Pandora which I don't like the skip feature limitation (thanks for the hack link) and now frequent ads, I recently found another iPhone freebie that looks to be a variation of the Pandora model: HiDef Radio over 3G or WiFi through your iPhone

HiDef Radio - Free News & Music Stations - iPhone app from New & Popular | Appolicious â„¢ iPhone and iPad App Directory

If this works for my limited needs, I'll hold off getting the $3/mth satellite radio iPhone app (in addition to your standard monthly fee) I was considering. Both the XM sat. and pandora apps will stream via bluetooth but AFAIK, the HiDef radio app will need to be plugged into via USB or aux in.

1 person likes this.
  11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tell me more.
    Tell me more.

12. jasoninmass

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just Google the Pandora skip hack...I did...but seems shady and possibly illegal..so i'm not going to try and install it. But thats just me!

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try iHeartRadio and Slacker also. They are free as well. I find iHeartRadio sound quality is better but the connection breaks more often and it does not resume like Pandora.

HD radio requires a new hardware. I was going to get the add-on module for my Kenwood until I discovered those apps for my iPhone 4.

I also installed OpenTable and MovieTickets. Those are the apps that will be in the upcoming Entune audio system in Prius v.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Most cases, yes you need to purchase an additional HD tuner that connects to your head unit but a few new OEM radios have them built in. Ballpark range: $50-100 depending on brand. AFAIK, you CAN'T mix and match brands as they can use proprietary connectors to the head unit. You'll need to find one with an aux. in type connector for generic/universal applications.

HD radio stations can have up to 5 channels of different programming per station. Check that the tuner offers multicasting as the low costs ones may not. If not, you'll only get the first channel offering.

2 people like this.
  15. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    say goodbye to your battery life, unless you buy the official iPhone car charged. Pulling a 3G signal, and sending it via bluetooth eats the battery. Ask me how I know.

16. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would think *anyone* with an iPhone (or worse yet - Android based OS) already has a car charger (???) - but then again, some people don't even have a data plan :cool:

17. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use a free app called MP3VCR along with Live365. It breaks up the stream into MP3's. Then you can load them onto a flash drive or a CD. Set up separate folders for each station. 255 songs per folder. Voila! Free radio!

18. jasoninmass

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just keep the phone plugged in while driving...otherwise yes the battery would be gone in a NY minute

19. jasoninmass

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OpenTable and MovieTickets..check! Thanks for the tips..i've been going nuts with apps lately but those 2 seem pretty useful.

20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it takes a special receiver or an adapter with your existing receiver. Also be aware the HD FM range is less than regular FM radio.

If your local HD radio has the programming you want and reliable coverage for your driving area then it can be a good thing. That's two very big ifs, so check before buying.