1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An easy way to verify that the oil filter housing cap is correctly tightened.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In an earlier post, I indicated that an easy way to correctly tighten the oil filter cap wrench is to mark it's position in relation with the aluminum oil pump casting, before removing it.

I've looked at several photos of the oil filter cap in the correctly tightened position and found an even easier method. It works even if it was incorrectly tightened during a previous service event.

Since the oil pump housing is "die cast," and the "injection molded" plastic filter cap has it's threads and startiong position of the threads in the identical position in all examples of the parts, the tightened positionm when correctly torqued will be in the identical or nearly identical position in every case.

When correctly tightened, the molded in word "open" in one of the recesses of the cap should past the bottom metal clip to be aligned within the next recess with no lettering.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would just say snug it up with a few fingers. If you work at dealer snug it up then turn one more full turn.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The O ring keeps the oil in so the cap just needs to be tight enough to keep it from unscrewing by itself. 18 ft lbs for the filter cap; 27 ft lbs for the drain plug.

4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Snug, allowing the locking clip to fall into the locking notch.