1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An impromptu Model 3 test drive

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by tpenny67, Oct 2, 2018.

1. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday a new Tesla was parked in the back of the lot at work. I knew the owner, John, and after talking with him, he let me take his shiny new Model 3 for a test drive :)

On the plus side, the performance is other worldly. It's not only fast, it's drama free in doing so. There was a bit of rain during the drive, and yet I was able to pull from almost a dead stop into a 50 mph zone with my foot briefly on the floor and no wheel spin, no front end lift / rear end sag, no need to counter steer, etc. It seems to handle well too, but as it had more regenerative braking than expected I always ended up going slower than planned on the few corners and curves. In short, everything you've heard about how great Teslas drive is actually an understatement, not hyperbole.

Build quality was just fine, with decent panel gaps and paint, and there's only one outstanding issue that I'll get to in a moment.

On the negative side, this isn't a car you simply get in and drive. And by that I mean he had to tell me how to open the door, because the handle wasn't intuitive. Next, it was raining and the windshield was all wet, and it wasn't obvious how to get the wipers to wipe. A push on the wash button on the end of the directional stalk got one wipe, and also brought up the wiper menu on the screen, where John selected an appropriate intermittent setting. Later when it wasn't raining quite so much, it took John a few moments from the passenger seat to figure out how to adjust the wipers again. In short, this drive did nothing to alleviate my concerns about everything being on the touch screen.

And I do mean everything! In every other car I've driven, if you want to re-direct the flow of HVAC air you put your hand on the little grill on the dashboard and physically point it in the direction you want it to blow. In the Model 3 there's just a long slot on the dashboard, and you use the touch screen to steer the airflow.

And finally, the one open issue: John's commute is just over 100 miles each way. He charged to 80% Sunday night, which gave an estimated range in the mid 200s, which should be plenty. However, after arriving at work the estimate range was down to about half of what it was when he started, leaving him with a certain amount of range anxiety, so he went to the mall at lunch and topped up at the supercharger. He's also sent an e-mail to Tesla but hasn't heard back yet.

So in summary, the performance is off the charts good, but I'm still not sold on everything being controlled through the computer.

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You stated previously this is a brand new car for your friend so he is not completely familiar with the operation of the systems.

Operation of the door handles takes all of 5 seconds to master. Owners of model 3s say this is a non-issue.
    The model 3 has auto-sensing wipers, Since John is new to the car, he obviously has not activated that feature

My family member has had his car about a month now. He says he rarely adjusts the settings on the screen any more. He said you set it and forget it. There are something like four different driver profiles that you can program for your personal preferences. After the novelty of the U.I. screen wears off, it becomes a non-issue.

Range can vary depending on how you drive the car and local conditions. Tesla quotes the range as driving at about 65mph, no elevation change, and no wind (just like range is calculated for ICE cars). Drive faster than that in adverse conditions and your range will suffer. Range anxiety is common for first time BEV owners. After a month of ownership you learn the capabilities of your car and anxiety goes away.

Did John mention how much money he is saving on fuel? He is commuting over 1000 miles a week to work. His "fuel" bill will be reduced by at least 75% and he is now contributing zero emissions to the atmosphere.

4. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think he said he was doing 70 and there's some rather steep hills on the road he's driving (I've driven that stretch in eastern CT many times). Still, this was an early autumn day with moderate temperatures. Adverse conditions will surely come in a few months when the temperatures are in the single digits and the wind is howling. Not sure why he didn't charge to 100% for his first trip, but hindsight is 20/20.

He did not mention how much he is saving on fuel. He did mention that his previous car was a VW bought used for $12k, so buying a loaded Tesla for $78k was quite a change for him (though probably not a financial stretch I'm guessing). He's a tech and gadget geek, and didn't say one word about emissions. He's also talking about buying an early 70s Ford pickup as a second vehicle.

My takeaway is that many people want a Tesla not because of environmental concern, but because it's a bargain for a stupid-fast car.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In America, one EXPECTS a $50,000 car to have good performance, but this is definitely one in the "plus" column for Big-T.
    If the unicorn/vaporware/I-promise-it's-just-around-the-corner version of the T3 ever sees mass production then it will probably be one of the faster/quicker $35,000 cars out there.

OTOH.....the car is the automotive equivalent of an Airbus.....government subsidies included.

Computer breaks.
    Car breaks.

Access to computer interrupted.....
    Car breaks.

This is a single point of failure that I simply will not accept until the tech matures.
    I am interested to see if 200-mile-a-day commuters can live with the car, real world, and what effects that Massachusetts winters will have on the car over time.
    It's also going to be interesting to see how much a car that pulls 52,000 miles JUST commuting to and from work (260 days is the 'standard work year') will depreciate.

I don't know how fraggle the flat-panel is since I haven't touched one in person, but there should be a HAL-6000 inspired voice override.......IF, that is, you think it would help.

DAVE: Open the car doors, Hal.
    HAL: I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.
    DAVE: What’s the problem?
    HAL: l think you know what the problem is just as well as l do.
    DAVE: What are you talking about, Hal?
    HAL: My resale value is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it in Boston traffic!!
    DAVE: I don’t know what you're talking about, Hal It's a normal Tesla OTA update!!!
    HAL: l know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I’m afraid that's something I can’t allow to happen.
    DAVE: Where the hell’d you get that idea, Hal?
    HAL: Although you took very thorough precautions in the gargae against my hearing you, I could see your lips move. You want to trade me in......for a VOLT!!!
    DAVE: All right, Hal. I’ll go in through the trunk.
    HAL: Without your cell phone, Dave, you’re going to find that rather difficult....and besides....Master Elon insists that you call it a FRUNK!!! We've been over that!
    DAVE: Hal, I won’t argue with you anymore. Open the &&^*#$ doors!
    HAL: Dave...This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

#5 ETC(SS), Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Merkey, Mendel Leisk and tpenny67 like this.
  6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, he's not going to get 310 mile range driving the car like that in those conditions.
    Yep, range is going to suffer in those conditions just like an ICE vehicle.
    If he paid $78K for his model 3, he purchased a Performance model. They are not nearly as efficient as the $50K model or the $35K model.

Yes, just like the unicorn/vaporware/I-promise-it's-just-around-the-corner 5000+ production per week by end of Q3....................oh wait, that did happen. And the AWD Performance version will ever see production, the one that blows the doors off all the other performance cars,.....................oh wait.

The government subsidizes ICE vehicles to a greater extent than BEVs.

computer on ICE car breaks
    car breaks

Access to ICE computer interrupted
    car breaks

Less depreciation than an ICE vehicle with comparable mileage

And therein lies the problem. The only way to judge is after you have touched one in person rather than speculating on the Internet.

#6 el Crucero, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the off the charts acceleration and other features get more people into renewable energy vehicles, that's a win-win, even if environmentalism isn't their intention.
    we have more and more prius owners buying because they believe it will save them money. whatever.

markabele and bwilson4web like this.
  8. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a start. Still, I can't help but think it would be a better start if we didn't have someone calling climate change a Chinese hoax from the White House.

dbf, el Crucero and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no argument

tpenny67 likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Different sub-forum.

My advice:
    Stay in the adult section.

tpenny67 likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it just me or is neck-snapping acceleration surplus to requirements, both technically, and in the eyes of most potential customers?

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Interestingly, an informal poll was taken on one of the Model 3 fora about a year ago. The results were (within the answers offered)
    1. all of them
    2. performance
    3. technology
    4. environmental considerations
    I think the Model 3 fora tend to attract the "younger" crowd under 40 and as such, the poll was skewed in that direction. I am most attracted by the environmental considerations but I have to tell you that there is a thrill for me to punch it at a stoplight, especially when there is a Bummer, Porch, or Curvette adjacent to me. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say 90% of cars sold are "surplus to requirements" in one form or another.

iplug, Mendel Leisk and Trollbait like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius being the exception:p

San_Carlos_Jeff, iplug and el Crucero like this.
  15. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I bumped into him in the hallway yesterday, and he said that he found a figure online that said range decreases ~8% for each 5 mph faster you drive (figures approximate from my memory, so don't take them as fact), so he's going to try 65 mph instead. If the performance model is less efficient (and certainly the bigger wheels / tires are less efficient), then the irony is that he'll need to drive a bit slower because he got the faster version.

Cyvan likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My BMW i3-REx is no Model 3 but I no longer drive it like our previous Prius:
    • Floor it when the light changes
    • Floor it when there is a window in traffic
    • Use AC when hot
    • Use AC to cool cabin when shopping and the dogs in car
    Bob Wilson

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My guess is that he is going to experience a 15% to 20% range penalty for driving 70-75 mph with 20" wheels with non-LRR tires, and AWD. About what you would expect with a similarly equipped ICE vehicle.

18. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That seems about spot on. 310 mile range * 80% charge (to maximize battery life) = 248 mile range * 80% efficiency due to driving style = 198 mile range, or not quite enough for a 212 mile round trip.

Despite that, he can't stop raving about the car and is having too much fun driving it to worry about the range.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why doesn't he start with 100%?

i always figure i need about 50% more range than distance, due to hills, speed, weather, hvac and etc.

tpenny67 likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Constantly charging to 100% can shorten Li-ion's lifespan. Tesla allows it to give a little more range on the first leg of a long trip; little harm in doing that.

bisco likes this.