1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Inconvenient Power Bill

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, Feb 27, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Did anyone else see the clip on CNN where Al Gore's AVERAGE power/gas bill for the year is $2439.00 per month, about $30,000 a year.

Will you liberals line up here and explain away how that is necessary, and how that lines up with his idiotic movie?

Have we pinpointed the single cause of global warming to be Al's big freakin house and all the energy it takes to keep the lights on?

Please tell me how he needs that big of a house for some reason.

Al's such a moron.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

This might actually be a story if it weren't for the facts that...

Both Al and his wife have offices in their home, and require more security than the average person;

He pays 1.5 the going rate at his local utility company so that they can obtain their supply from clean energy sources; and

He is in the process of installing solar panels on his home.

3. nrsheikh

nrsheikh Junior Member

Mr. Gore investes alot in "Green energy" and offsets the electric used in his house on other sources. In addtion, he need a security detail that itselfs requires a little bit extra juice.....

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Feb 27 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]397604[/snapback]</div>
    I was really giving his message some thought but seeing him on stage with all of the hypocrits in hollywood has made me reconsider. If he was really sold on his own message would he live the way he does? He lives in a mansion with pools, and this is not even his only house. I am starting to feel like this was a message from the limousine-liberal crowd. Why should i moderate my life when the main GW preacher can't moderate his. I wonder which suite of the Los Angeles Four Seasons Al spent the night in at several thousand a night. I hope he reused his towels. ;)

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

It seems this is the copout way for diehard anti-global warming crowd to accept the idea of global warming... a definite plus in my book (in a strange way).

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

And as far as liberals go... don't judge the rest of us by what some of them choose to do with their wealth. I ain't bragging in the least... but I bike to school (snow, rain, & shine), drive a Prius for longer trips (will be converting my bike to electric rather soon for in town trips that are farther away from my daily shortish commute to school), switched to all CFL's... and the moment I have the money and know that I'm going to reside somewhere for some time - then I will purchase solar panels. Hollywood isn't all liberal either... Mel Gibson, for one, is NOT liberal. Now recalling a lot of movies, it almost seems that Hollywood = liberal is at the very least somewhat of a myth... (and I could easily be wrong about that one... but I am not convinced that this is necessarily the case).

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17369241/

Gore's documentary film "An Inconvenient Truth," which chronicled his campaign against global warming, won an Academy Award on Sunday.

The next day, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research put out a news release saying Gore was not doing enough to reduce his own consumption of electricity. The group disputes whether global warming is a serious problem.

The think tank said that Gore used nearly 221,000 kilowatt hours last year and that his average monthly electric bill was $1,359. Johnson said his group got its figures from Nashville Electric Service.

But electric company spokeswoman Laurie Parker said the utility never got a request from the policy center and never provided them with any information.

Parker said Gore has been purchasing the "green power" for $432 a month since November. The Gore home is also under renovation to add solar panels, Kreider said.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/26/gore-responds-to-drudge/

1) Gore's family has taken numerous steps to reduce the carbon footprint of their private residence, including signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch, installing solar panels, and using compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving technology.

2) Gore has had a consistent position of purchasing carbon offsets to offset the family's carbon footprint -- a concept the right-wing fails to understand. GoreÂ’s office explains:

What Mr. Gore has asked is that every family calculate their carbon footprint and try to reduce it as much as possible. Once they have done so, he then advocates that they purchase offsets, as the Gore's do, to bring their footprint down to zero.

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 27 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]397593[/snapback]</div>
    I love how people pop off with their pie hole, without having all the facts straight.

10. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 27 2007, 11:09 PM) [snapback]397636[/snapback]</div>
    I admit to only skimming your cite, but it seems to be "shoot the messenger". Sure, they may be astroturfing, but this just seems like excess regardless of carbon offsets and lightbulbs. I interpreted the meaning of "inconvient" in Inconvenient Truth be mean we are going to have to change our ways in a manner which may inconvenience us. Writing a check doesn't inconvience the rich.

And the excuse that its the security leaving all the lights on is rather disingenuous given the roasting that Bush got on another thread for jetting around in Air Force 1.

11. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 27 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]397593[/snapback]</div>
    Are you intentionally trying to upset people? Why would you call An Inconvenient Truth an idiotic movie? Every peer reviewed scientific study says humans probably are causing climate change and it will have large negative impacts on society, especially on our children. Is it idiotic to protect our children?

We're pulling millions of years of fossil fuels out of the ground and putting much of it in the atmosphere. You don't need to be a scientist to know global warming is happening. All that's required is a room temperature IQ, or greater.

Who said our generation and a few before and after gets to use up all the fossil fuels. Don't people 10,000 years from now have as much right to it as we do.

The morons are not Al Gore and those like him. He's trying to do the right thing for society. We usually call people like that heros. The morons are the ones who think we can continue to rapidly degrade the environmental and social realms without consequence. Our recent economic growth is based on the systematic degradation of the environmental and social systems that support the economy and society.

Todays' record drop on Wall Street is the leading edge of reality. If we don't learn to live within the laws of nature, nature will give us the big smack down.

50 years from now, as our children look back, suffering in a world degraded by our selfish, short-sighted behavior, do you think they will think Al Gore was the moron or those who opposed him?

The sad thing is that the morons like yourself will be long gone. If our children are kind, they might think people like you were naive and stupid, like those that used to oppose interracial marriage or women voting.

Tell you what, let's all stop being morons and do whatever it takes to ensure our kids have a healthy, sustainable world.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Is it possible that Gore has a plug in vehicle of some kind that's shifting his family's petrol bill to his house's electric bill?

13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know the Republicans have finally gotten behind the need to conserve energy. Or are they suggesting something more should be done to reduce wealth inequality? I'm not quite sure.

At least he pays it himself (and indeed pays extra to make sure it's green energy), unlike Cheney, one of whose first actions as VP was to get the $180,000 electricity bill for his 33-room mansion paid by the taxpayer. :lol:

Seriously though, your country is suffering from far too much wealth inequality. You seriously need to tax these millionaires and war profiteers more. As indeed do we... :(

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 27 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]397615[/snapback]</div>
    How about his traveling habits - private planes, SUV's, etc
    Why so many houses? Why such large homes?
    Why is he not already signed up to pay the extra $.05 for green energy?
    Why does he not already have solar panels? Why is he NOT leading?

Agree - your prototypical limo-liberal. And I have not noticed, has he commented on the changes the IPCC has made in the way they have downgraded the potential damage of "global warming" since their initial report in 2001?

He would help combat global warming by just keeping his mouth shut.

Those that say he needs extra security - i say why cant that be done with a smaller carbon footprint. Where is his leadership, his being a role-model in his war against "global warming"?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Feb 28 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]397704[/snapback]</div>
    you should read the science section in the NY Times yesterday.

also, how does the stock market fit into all this?

dont be so self-assured - there are lots of people who doubt the anthropogenic model of global warming.

fossil fuel reserves are currently measured in hundreds of years of supply at current use + growth.

my bet - algore is the moron - even if he is right his lack of leadership in modeling proper behavior is disgusting, short-sighted, and an example of his lack of conviction in his own beliefs.

i love protecting my children - part of that is teaching them how to think independantly - and avoid the herd mentality that currently is pushing algore's pet project - what say you about the dramatic downward forcasts by the IPCC in jsut the past 6 years since its previous statement as to the possible effects of global warming? how do you account for the changes in the weather over antartica? what say you about current computer modeling shortfalls in accounting for changes in precipitation and its effects on global warming?

best of luck. i hope you are heating your home with wood, not eating meat, burning candles, supporting nuclear power plant construction, and driving your prius --- how are you minimizing your carbon footprint?

seriously - man will adapt and so will our large rock we are living on.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 27 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]397593[/snapback]</div>
    aww, poor daron, so upset that Al won an Oscar for his movie and is doing really well. Burst your little bubble? Poor thing.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 28 2007, 07:45 AM) [snapback]397729[/snapback]</div>
    I am glad algore won an Oscar - at least he won something recently :lol: wait till he hears that those whom he beat are protesting the results and are asking for a recount :lol:

17. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I insulated my house, fixed the windows, and had a high-efficiency furnace put in, all long before anyone mentioned global warming.

I've driven nothing but fuel-efficient cars and motorcycles.

I've done all that, I believe global warming is a serious threat to all of us, and guess what? I'm not a liberal.

Harry

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 27 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]397593[/snapback]</div>
    I was actually considering looking up the stats or asking you to provide yours until I read the last sentence. I simply will not debate with someone who feels the need to emphasize their point with sophomoric name calling.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did anyone catch what was said as Al gore and company were walking onto the stage to accept the award? "The cast and crew was in New Orleans as Hurricane Katrina hit so they could see the devastating effects of global warming first-hand." So hurricane Katrina was caused by Global Warming? I am still undecided about global warming, the degree and the causes, but to say a hurricane is caused by global warming is incredibly disingenuious to me. If Katrina was caused by global warming in 2005, then what caused the recent record cold spell here in flyover country? Did global warming stop, was it reversed? If Katrina was a result of GW how come 2006 was such a lackluster year for hurricanes. If global warming is real and is caused by man I think Al and company did a huge disservice on Sunday night.

20. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 28 2007, 06:45 AM) [snapback]397729[/snapback]</div>
    Hahaha... I point out that your pied-piper is not dancing to the tune he has you dancing to and this is your reply. Sweet!! :lol:

Your king is getting fat off of a 15 course meal 8 times a day while you peasants live under his 3 crumbs a day plan.

Al sucks up so much energy that every liberal on Prius chat could not possibly skimp and save enough to bring the average balance back to that of an equal number of normal people who don't even care about the enviornment. You should be so proud.

Follow on, I think I see Al over there showing you the way... go follow... hurry now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]397749[/snapback]</div>
    This is why I should watch crappy shows such as the oscars.

Did hollywood really say that Katrina was caused by global warming? This is directly in conflict with the earlier statements that Bush caused Katrina. All those pictures of Bush out in the gulf in his rowboat paddling in circles to get the water all churned up so that he could steal the oil out of the gulf while we were all looking at the damage to the shoreline.... All that was a hoax and it was really caused by global warming. Liars!! :lol: