1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Inconvenient Power Bill

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, Feb 27, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 28 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]397754[/snapback]</div>
    watch for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzwitpiqb00

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Feb 28 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]397743[/snapback]</div>
    neither am i and I do not believe mankind is responsible for any warming on father earth and i even heat my home with wood pellets. all the stuff i do is driven by economics, a desire to do what i think is best, a desire to invest in technology, and a desire not to follow the herd.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 28 2007, 06:38 AM) [snapback]397726[/snapback]</div>
    There's absolutely nothing to support the concept that man will adapt should we experience another major extinction period...There's an excellent walk-through display at the Field Museum in Chitown that takes you from one extiction and rebuild to the next. There's every reason to believe that we are accelerating the process of another extinction period. Could we survive, maybe...even probably, but the devestation and loss of life and the crisis the earth will experience will not be pretty. So why not do our part to control it.

I'm saddened that daron, malorn, and now Dr.B want to turn this into a liberal vs conservative issue. I just don't believe that it is. If for no other reason we should all agree that doing our parts to stop the use of dirty energy resources and finite resources such as fossil fuels to increase our air quality and decrease the immediate environmental damage we see due to oil spills, burning of coal, etc.

Even the great and holy Pres. GW Bush is making token statements about clean energy and renewable resources.

Now, I sure don't know all the facts of Al Gore's energy use. And it's fun to point out the extreme cases of those who are not like us to try to make a point...hyperbole is a fun thing to play with. But from the limited information available it does, indeed, seem that AG is taking steps to use clean energy, solar, and to reduce his energy use. He and his wife are famous and rich and they established their lifestyles long before the global warming thing became an everyday topic. They require protection, they'll have increased privacy issues. Do they have to live in a mansion, no. Would I deprive them of that priveledge...no. It seems like a dictatorial concept to me to start forcing people to live in a set size and style of home.

Better, I think, to allow people the freedom to continue in the lifestyle they've become acustom but to encourage them to do so in as efficient and clean manner as possible. I don't think most people in the green movement are encouraging infringement on anyone's lifestyle.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Global warming deniers really have run out of anything substantive to write about. For discussion of global warming by climatologists and atmospheric physicists see http://realclimate.org

Rightard petroholics want us to believe that ecological responsibility requires poverty. Far from it; we will all be better off when everyone can afford to use annually 100,000 kW-hours of wind and nuclear power rather than 10,000 kW-hours of coal power.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 28 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]397768[/snapback]</div>
    Doc if GW is really happening and is causing hurricanes like Katrina and every other weather related catastrophe how is man going to stop it. If we have really entered another extinction period then do you really think man can stop it? Isn't that a little presumptuous.
    Many of you will gasp but I consider myself a conservationist and somewhat of an environmentalist. I just don't think it is a substitute for religion. I certainly am not going to buy into the current hype, I have watched "truth" now four times in the last two months and evey time I watch it I find more holes and hyperbole. Is man hard on the earth, yes, do we need to do a better job stewarding the earth's resources, of course we do in my book. After watching the OScars Sunday i am beginning to think that this is political and is another ploy to redistribute wealth in the world. All of us can give up our lifestyles but the elite will still stay in the suites at the Four seasons and fly around the world cavorting and preaching about how bad all of us common folk are and how bad the United States is for all of the earths less fortunate people.

After that sham on sunday night how many people at the awards rode their bike home to their 1800 sq ft house that runs on solar power and geothermal? Unless Ed Begley Jr was in attendance I would say zero. The rest jumped into their escalade, hummer or Lexus and skirted off to some lavish party or over to Van Nuys airport and flew somewhere on their private jet.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Watch it MD, it almost sounded like you went neutral on the Al support-a-thon here for a second. Would Al approve of that?

I'm not real big on saving the planet or conserving anything but dollar bills. If driving my prius has a clean air side effect, I don't mind, but that was never the goal.

Al Gore is allowed by his faithful followers to use up about 50x the amount of energy that the average american would use. I wonder what his useage factor is when you compare to the average consumption of everyone on earth. Huge, and unneccessary.

That, by any standard makes him an environmental hypocrit. One of the biggest. Maybe the biggest when you figure in how much he blabbers about how bad off the planet is, and how drastic we must change course to fix the problem.

Ya'll love your hypocrit... Which makes me wonder why ya'll didn't embrace Ted Haggart when it finally came true that he really did all the junk he was accused of doing. He was living one life and telling his followers to live another. Why was everyone on here so clear in their condemnation of that case of hypocracy and are not even willing to suggest that Al might downsize if he really thinks using less energy is necessary.

He has a ton of money, so once he sells all the SUV's and gets into a 2500sqft home, he can continue to buy green energy that will be sucked up by others who don't seem to buy on to his urgency.

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 28 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]397754[/snapback]</div>
    Oh gimme a break. You had plenty of substantive responses in this thread and you ignore every one. To reiterate
    Gore's power bill shows, however, that the former vice president may be doing just that.
    Gore purchased 108 blocks of "green power" for each of the past three months, according to a summary of the bills.
    That's a total of $432 a month Gore paid extra for solar or other renewable energy sources.
    The green power Gore purchased in those three months is equivalent to recycling 2.48 million aluminum cans or 286,092 pounds of newspaper, according to comparison figures on NES' Web site.
    They use compact fluorescent light bulbs and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption, she said.
    Their car? A Lexis hybrid SUV.
    "They, of course, also do the carbon emissions offset," she said.
    That means figuring out how much carbon is emitted from home power use, and vehicle and plane travel, then paying for projects that will offset that with use of renewable energy, such as solar power.
    Gore helped found Generation Investment Management, through which he and others pay for offsets. The firm invests the money in solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe, she said.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D=2007702270382

He's got a friggin 10000 square foot home. 2 offices. Security (and don't gimme bollocks about security--Cheney I'm sure will have plenty when he enters ex-VP land).

As for air travel...Sean Hannity's claim of Gore's private jet used ...
    recoreds of jet use from 1999-2000...when he was campaigning.
    A terrible sin, I'm sure, as NO PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE EVER FLY PRIVATE JETS WHEN CAMPAINGING?l:????? Wth. GIMME A BREAK.
    16 private jet flights THAT Gore DID purchase carbon offsets for.

The hot air the right wing is generating on this is, I guess, usual.

Why discuss an issue substantively when you can swift-boat and smear?

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]397774[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have enough knowledge to say if GW is causing hurricanes. Extinction periods occur on a very prolonged scale...a time scale we can't really appreciate in most cases b/c our lifetimes are but a tiny fraction of that period. But, it's pretty clear that there are things we can do in our fraction of time on earth to accelerate damage. The ozone layer is a prime example...due to the efforts that occured in the 80s we managed dramaticly slow the damage we were doing there and there's now evidence that the Ozone layer is healing itself. Were we to have taken a fatalistic attitude like "If we have really entered another extinction period then do you really think man can stop it? Isn't that a little presumptuous." then you're certainly going to be proven right.

And perhaps even with those efforts you're right...that the extinction period is inevitable...but that does not mean we can't do our part to slow it, minimize the severity of it, and do something for the here and now...would not the world be a cleaner healtier place if we stopped burning fossil fuels? Wouldn't it be nice if there weren't the sounds of ICEs creating their incessant cacophony in the background of our cities? Wouldn't it be good if we didn't have to decide if and and how much we should damage our precious resources in ANWR, risk oil spills, build massive structures in our oceans to drill for oil. And most importantly, to end our dependence upon those we so dispise in the middle east?

Frankly I can't see one negative thing about taking GW seriously. Assuming it's happening and assuming we can do something about it offers hope, motivation and has no real downside other than some short term cost and infrastructure issues....and I do mean short term on the grand scheme of things...maybe a couple decades?

No, I can't and won't claim to know that GW is reversible 100% or even that it's necessarily going to cause an extinction period. But I do know that there are immediate problems that we are experiencing b/c of our use and dependence upon fossil fuels and I'm willing to accept the opinions of the 99% of knowledgeable scientists that we are the major contributor to GW and to start doing my own little part to help. No I'm not moving into a 1000ft berm home. But I'll make changes to reduce my own footprint and I'll adapt the new technologies as they come along to continue that process over the coming years.

9. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gore Electric $1200, Gas $1080, = 2280 per month, -$432 (extra green cost) = 1850
    So Gore pays $1850 a month to power/heat 10,000 square feet.
    Megan and I pay ~165 a month to power heat 1100 square feet., or what $1650 to heat 11,000.
    The dude's got a big a house.

10. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Feb 28 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]397780[/snapback]</div>
    You fail to say that Al Gore is using more energy than he should.

Your stand is that.... As long as you have the money and you buy blocks of green energy, you can use as much as you want.

Let me know if I'm getting any of this wrong...

The next logical step is for me to say that I have millions of dollars, so I am going to crank up the heat, open the windows so my family gets fresher air, and pay the $30,000 a year in energy consumption... Just so everyone feels good in the end, I'm going to buy some green energy blocks to offset that consumption.

What I'm saying may seem nuts. You may think that I could get by on less, and less would be good for the environment. You may even think that I could continue to pay my millions to buy green energy that I am not actually using (wasting). That's what I'm saying about Al Gore.

If he just shuts up and lives happy in his big energy waste of a lifestyle, then I can agree with you to let him be. As long as his big pie hole is spewing "Save the energy to save the planet", I'm of the opinnion that he is using WAY TOO MUCH.

Maybe you think I can waste as much energy as I want as long as I buy green energy blocks. If you think that way, that's fine by me, but it's not good for environmental concerns or for the planet.

Al's 2 offices and somehow blaming his power/gas bill on his security detail is a bunch of crap. Those secret service agents could be standing inside my front door and my power bill wouldn't go up.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 28 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]397777[/snapback]</div>
    Daron,
    Listen carefully here... The ultimate goal is not necessarily using less energy, but using clean energy. I don't want people to have to change/sacrifice their lifestyles...not you, not Al, not Bush, and esp. not myself. The goal should be to provide an economical means to supply the green/clean non-fossil fuel energy to everyone so they'll have what they need.

*edit--let me add that the "not using less energy" should be the 'ultimate goal'...certainly, in the short term, until we have enough reliable green energy resources a large part of the focus should be on using less energy. But, again, people have provided you data that suggest he's doing just that...apparently not enough to satisfy you...but then I'm sure you're not doing enough to satisfy him either.

I want people to have SUVs if that's what they like...but I want it to be an all electric. Or, as a stop gap, at least 100% biodiesel.

I'm more than willing to say that Al can, and maybe should, downsize. But I'm also willing to say that this isn't something that should be up to you and me. I'm not telling you to downsize..., and I'll tell you to Kiss my butt if you tell me to. But if you suggest to me practical, economical ways to reduce my carbon footprint and minimize my energy use without adversely affecting the lifestyle I've worked hard to achieve then I'll thank you sincerly and do my best to integrate those ideas into my life.

And I think that's what Al Gore is trying to do. Provide information and education. Provide some ideas and suggestions. Al hasn't called me to tell me to change anything about my life...if he does I'll have some suggestions for him too...and I'll pass on your concerns..I'd appreciate if you'd reciprocate when he calls you.

12. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Feb 28 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]397785[/snapback]</div>
    Is the $432 he pays for the green blocks part of the $2280, or is that aside from the $2280?

If it's aside, he's paying $2280 to heat those sqft, and his personal out of pocket is $2712 with the $432 basically being a donation to a political cause.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 28 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]397790[/snapback]</div>
    Is this the point of Al's movie? Don't use less, just use green?

Is this the consensus of the Liberal Left and the liberal majority of Prius Chat?

13. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Al has done a good job of bringing attention to global warming.

He'd do better in my estimation if he led by example.

He's not doing that with his personal over-consumption of energy, no matter how many "credits" he purchases.

Harry

14. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Feb 28 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]397797[/snapback]</div>
    I knew there would be someone on here who 'gets it'.

15. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 28 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]397791[/snapback]</div>
    The $1200 is their average Nashville Electric Bill from teh power company.
    The home's average monthly electric bill last year was just under $1,200, according to bills that The Tennessean acquired from Nashville Electric Service. Gore purchased 108 blocks of "green power" for each of the past three months, according to a summary of the bills.
    That's a total of $432 a month Gore paid extra for solar or other renewable energy sources.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...D=2007702270382

So the $432 would deduct from that to make it $768 without the green credit.

The $1080 gas bill is from Drew Johnson Tennessee Policy Center.

All figures from the link above.

My point is -- that I know you disagree with -- the home probably serves a lot of business functions, unless Gore has separate business offices elsewhere (I'm ignorant on this point, welcome correction). So, yeah, it's big, and serves some business functions, entertains guests, sometimes policymakers, sometimes just friends, I would imagine. Nobody, that I'm aware, has been underwriting his Global Warming work, so that's functioning from his home.

Could his footprint be smaller? Sure?

Is the footprint of any ex-VP, President, these days likely to be comparable to average american? No way. That's just common sense.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Feb 28 2007, 04:53 AM) [snapback]397713[/snapback]</div>
    I certainly hope so . . . the guy is kind of a Barnie Fief type ~ well meaning, but unable to get the whole shebang in order. But yea, if he's got a bunch of plug-in's ?? ... that may offset the MILLIONS he owns in oil stocks. When he divests himself from the oilies, he'll seem a whole lot more believable/sincere in many folk's books.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 28 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]397791[/snapback]</div>
    No, the point is to bring attention and motivate people to start making changes and to encourage our leaders to institute policies to make those changes.

I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself.

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 28 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]397754[/snapback]</div>
    A democrat who's richer than you are, wow that's not dancing to the tune. What were you expecting, someone who doesn't use energy at all? What's your power bill? Are you envious that his is bigger than yours? So his bill is higher than yours, you don't know the details so piss off. Playing gotcha games is a favorite of goofballs like you. You don't have to think only react ignorantly. They don't solve anything, don't prove anything, don't invalidate what he's telling us and don't make me listen to you instead. The only thing they do is make you feel better about yourself at the expense of someone else. How pathetic. But you keep on playing them because they don't require thinking, they're fun and easy for you to do, you won't listen, you won't learn and you don't care. Stop playing gotcha games and try to learn something for a change. Or in the words of Dr Smith from Lost In Space "keep the eyes and the ears open and your little mouth shut"

19. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 27 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]397593[/snapback]</div>
    More than 50% of the bill is due to voluntary EXTRA paying for green sources of energy such as wind and solar.

A more responsible report can be found here:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/Media/Play/1...Gore-Energy.mov

20. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 28 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]397808[/snapback]</div>
    Well said!!

You articulated that thought very well!! hahahaha.. Great comeback, excellent reply!