1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Inconvenient Power Bill

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, Feb 27, 2007.

1. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 28 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]397892[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you get that information? And how does the myth of AGW and oil addiction (a Republican coined phase BTW) relate? Hmm, but the vehicles I see at areas where you would expect find environmentalists such as campgrounds and points where backpackers congregate (such as myself) are pickups and SUV's. My Prius or other hybrids for that matter (which I bought for its economic purposes) are a rarity. Who would not want us to get off the oil addiction (with the exception of those employed by the oil industry)??

And oil at $150/barrel?? Never happen. When oil hit $75/barrel Toyota dealers could hardly keep the Prius's in stock. If oil increases in price (which may not happen due to uncertain world oil reserves in unexplored areas of the Gulf of Mexico, the Alberta tar sands, the use of coal stock converted to oil equivalents, etc.) other forms of energy will be more economically viable which in turn will further reduce oil consumption and naturally drive down the price per barrel.

When I see posts such as yours, I tend to see a degree of jealously which portends to the fact you are currently and will never be financially able to afford such luxuries. So you naturally dismiss such people as evil and uncaring to justify your own poverty, shortcomings, and illusion of moral superiority... Be proud of who you are and make the best of your meager situation, not everyone can live the good life.

Tsskk, Tsskk...

Rick
    #4 2006

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 28 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]397925[/snapback]</div>
    $150/barrel - 30 minutes after Iran successfully tests a nuclear device which will be timed to occur on a Friday either around 10AM EST or 3PM EST.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Feb 28 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]397889[/snapback]</div>
    He is not an average VP. He is running around the country telling everyone the sky is falling. He should be setting a much better example. Do as I say not as I do?

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

31's ridiculous posts make me laugh... a lot of the liberals I know are well-to-do. It's common sense that a good bit of the right are fundies who think Prius drivers are all maryj smoking hippies... I see these people everyday... so drop the bullshit. Many of the liberals I know are very happy people who live meaningful, active, and healthy lifestyles.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]397932[/snapback]</div>
    I would call him chicken little except it would be an insult to chicken's and he is not small.

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]397932[/snapback]</div>
    What he's doing. Where the dang energy that powers his house comes from.

Making the Green Power Switch® is easy. This renewable energy initiative offers our customers a choice in the type of power they buy.
    What is green power? Green power is electricity generated from clean, renewable resources such as solar, wind and methane gas.

http://www.nespower.com/green_power_switch.aspx

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Feb 28 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]397938[/snapback]</div>
    You are missing the point. What if we were all to switch over to this green power? How much of the land mass of the US would we have to cover with solar panels? How many tens of thousands of windmills would we have to erect? How is methane gas renewable unless we keep producing garbage? Is he really living a carbon neutral lifestyle as he claims?

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]397943[/snapback]</div>

I assure you there is plenty of space for solar panels on buildings.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Feb 28 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]397945[/snapback]</div>
    To take care of all the electricity needs of the United States? No way.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]397932[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good indication of why this country never gets anything fixed any longer. Even if the threat is real, he's not supposed to raise awareness of it? What if the sky is falling, does that mean don't say anything because ignorance is bliss and the American people should be blissful?

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]397943[/snapback]</div>
    Ah crap, malorn's right....let's just throw up our hands and give up....I'll go buy my Excursion for myself and a Hummer H2 for the wife this afternoon....I'll throw open the windows and let the heat out....none of it matters anyway.

Geez....YOU are missing the point. So because today we can't provide everyone with 100% green energy it doesn't matter that he's doing it? How the hell does that make any sense to you at all? Are you even trying to make a point that makes sense?

As solar technology improves and becomes more efficient we'll require less space covered for the same amount of energy. Wind power can be generated on 'farms' in areas where it's most efficient...entire cities are run on small wind farms. And yes, we'll keep producing garbage, so we might as well extract some energy from it along the way.

Face it...you've been provided with the facts. Gore is doing a large part to be more green and negate his carbon impact...that's been shown and established. But you won't be happy even if he were living in a 1000ft berm house without running water or electricity.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 28 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]397948[/snapback]</div>
    No it is because if the sky is falling he was second in command of the sky from 1993 'til early 2001 and did nothing! Now he seems to want to alarm everyone to the fact the sky is falling but has not taken the time to do anything about his own lifestyle? Oh i forgot he drives a Lexus hybrid, i am sure that has made a huge impact with the problem he is preaching about. ;) Pathetic.
    Oh wait his Lexus was made in Japan and they signed on to Kyoto and if I understand Kyoto, is better than the US because they are buying all of Ethiopia's(example) carbon credits. Talk about Smoke and Mirrors.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Feb 28 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]397939[/snapback]</div>
    u r so correct. global warming is all the rights fault. if only the world were made up of liberal dems -

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 28 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]397953[/snapback]</div>
    we agree - i would add that we should start construction on nuclear power plants (like iran) asap.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 28 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]397953[/snapback]</div>
    My point is he is preaching to all of us about the evils of our western civilization and what it is doing to the planet but he lives in a 10,000 sq ft house with god knows how many plasma tv's, computers, pools etc. He has the balls to go to hollywood and slap the backs of all these people who for the most part live like kings and tell us all how we should live? If it was Ed Begley Jr preaching about global warming I would be much more inclined to believe it all, but it isn't.

I read Al''s "earth in the Balance" in the early 90's and waited patiently for him to do something about all of the environmental problems he was preaching about 20 years ago. He was Vice-President of the United States for 8 years and he did nothing! I voted for Clinton/Gore in '92 based very much on the hope he might be able to influence Bill to form a concrete energy policy which included solar, wind, conservation and the like.

16. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]397947[/snapback]</div>
    Why? The only obstacle that I know of (and they may have modified the technology by now) is that it's very inefficient to translate solar energy to electricity. And, Nanosolar technology is circumventing problems with silicon quantities. In what other capacity would this not work that you're aware of?

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 28 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]397953[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: yay, we're free to consume with abandon with no consequences. What the heck, I'm buying a new house so why not a McMansion with those vaulted ceilings and heated driveway so I don't have to shovel snow any more.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]397962[/snapback]</div>
    Ed Begley is preaching about global warming...check out his new show...
    And, for the 8th time this thread Al Gore is doing his part. Just b/c he has a large house and plasma TVs and lives a luxurious lifestyle doesn't mean he isn't doing his part to reduce his environmental footprint. Being green doesn't mean you can't be comfortable. It doesn't mean you can't have a big house. It doesn't mean you can't have plasma TVs.

Listen, I agree his case could be strengthened with a more dramatic an public display of 'greenness'. But it wouldn't stop, for a moment, the noise you right wing liberal haters are making...you'd dig on something else or say it's all for show...it's just the way the political ball spins.

Green energy is green energy...Whether you use 1kWh or 10,000kWh if it's from a clean source it's clean and green and he should be applauded for using it.

Dr. B....I'm not opposed to nuyaler power...I know there are a lot of lefties who disagree there, but to mean it's clean and reliable and can be safe. I would prefer, however, a 100% safe option like solar/wind whenever feasible as a first choice.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]397955[/snapback]</div>
    Stop making sense please. Just because they were in control for only 8 years does not mean much. think of all the other stuff they didn't do - Rowanda, Darfur, WTC I, USS Cole, etc. I mean he didn't invent GLOBAL WARMING until after he left office when he could devote more time to it. How long did it take for him to invent the internet? I wonder whats next on his agenda - perhaps stopping Islamoterrorism? I know, world peace :D

Give him some credit for his 2007 Rx400H - at least he got one - and he bought Japanese to boot spitting in the UAW's face :lol: Cant he get anything right. Maybe next time he runs for office he will win his own home state, what does that tell you :blink:

20. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 28 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]397974[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this even though I think conservation is a better mechanism. Green energy entails a sacrifice for the user. It's more costly, so anyone purchasing it should definitely be applauded. It's these folks that are going to bring on the demand to make it more affordable for every one else to take advantage of it in the future.