1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Inexpensive Option for Cargo Area Mat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by a priori, Dec 8, 2007.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought the OEM floor mats for my Prius, but I forgot all about some type of protective cover for the floor of the cargo area under the hatchback. I wish I only put nice clean things in the cargo area, but that’s just a dream that doesn’t fit reality. After removing some cord wood I’d dropped in the cargo area, I found that I’d really made a mess of the tender carpeting placed there by Toyota.

I’ve looked at the various offerings (Weathertech, Exactmats in the PriusChat Shop), but they haven’t appealed, whether for look or cost. Instead, I opted for a less-expensive, homemade approach.

Here’s what I did (with some pics):

I picked up a rubber-backed floor mat on sale at Home Depot. For about $8.95, I purchased a 36â€x48†“Endurance†floor mat manufactured by Multy Industries, Inc. These mats are available at other stores, as well. (BTW, this picture shows a different color than the one I used.)
    FloorMatDSCF4431.1.web.JPG
    Next, I measured out the cargo area (with the seats in their standard up position) and transferred the outline to the back of the floor mat. The depth was about 34.5â€, so the original floor mat is a pretty good fit. I was able to cut the floor mat with some heavy-duty scissors. Because the width of the cargo area is greater than 48â€, I had to cut other “extension†pieces to allow me to create a good fit.
    CargoMatInstalledDSCF4424.1.web.JPG
    I used some window/door flashing tape (ProtectoWrap®) to provide waterproof sealing, and then I used some super glue to tightly join the pieces into one cargo area mat. I think it is pretty difficult to see the seams.
    CornerNoSeamDSCF4426.1.web.JPG
    I like the look, and it is quite rugged. The surface helps to keep items from rolling around, it hides dirt fairly well, and I can take it out and brush it, sweep it, hose it off or even fully wash it.
    FinalViewCargoDSCF4430.1.web.JPG
    All this for less than $10. It took a few hours to figure it all out, get it cut and measured (to a very tight fit), put the pieces together and get it into the car. The next one would take about 15 minutes, I suppose.

2 people like this.
  2. passnthru

passnthru Average Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great idea! Thanks for passing it along.

Nick

3. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the cars all came with a carpeted mat back there?

4. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, Nick. Would it help to have a template for cutting the pieces?

5. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The carpeting in mine is part of the "floor" itself. Did yours come with a removable mat?

6. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah it did; it looks just like the carpeted mats from that option. I thought it was included in all cars, because I don't remember it being an extra I added on (and I'm pretty sure it's not included in the Carpeted Floor Mats option); if I remove that mat, then I see the one-piece plastic cover with knuckles molded into it, which is also covered with a very low carpet (like felt).

I think the piece of carpet I describe (which covers up the twisting locks that keep the sub-trunk space sealed off) has a car-shaped leaf and the word PRIUS emblazoned across it somewhere too.

~ dan ~

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Very nice work on that!! thanks for sharing it with us

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought the same mat 3 years ago, I turned mine the other way(36 across and 48 long) so it requires no cutting and protects the back of the rear seats when they are folded down. When seats are raised the mat just folds back.

9. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have a picture of it? I'd like to see how it compares to the OEM floor mats.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My car came with the factory colormatched mat as well but it is getting filthy. If I cannot restore the color I may attempt to make a new one like you did. It looks great. Thank you for the write up and pics. :)

11. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks great and if you spill something that can't be cleaned up (paint, etc.), for another $10.00 and a little work you can have a brand new one. You made it a perfect fit. Good work!

12. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Truth in Advertising Time

You are correct - so long as there is a sale on. It appears the mat sells for almost $12 at full price! Truly, the time is very short now that I have a "template" completed.

13. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good material!
    Back in 2004, I used some industrial carpet remnant that I got at a carpet store. When it gets dirty, just get another.. I also used the carpet mat that came with the car as a template. Ok, so I was cheap!

14. passnthru

passnthru Average Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Thanks, Nick. Would it help to have a template for cutting the pieces?"

That would be very helpful!

Nick

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2006 the cargo mat was a seperate accessory. I cut down a large cardboard box using the mat as a template but like your solution.

16. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, Jim.

I'm still hoping to create a template that would be usable for other folks. I'm not certain how to get it to the point of a true scale that I could send in electronic form to folks.

17. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a shot in which you can see the floor mat that came installed in the rear cargo area:

[​IMG]

~ dan ~

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan,

Hey, nice leather! :) Where did you get it and how much? Did you cover the steering wheel too?

Also, can you tell me exactly how you managed to post your picture? I haven't been able to post pictures since PriusChat switched to the new software. Someone told me that this was because of the new software's file size limitations for attachments (19.5kb/97.7kb), but I see that your picture's file size (1.64mb) is much larger than that. :confused:

19. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Tom; I have my own web site and on that I can post whatever I want. Then I just use (img) tags for images I've posted.

Here are some new photos of the car, including the interior (carPC is installed between the tray below the stereo and the panel below that), so you can see the leather. It's a three-tone, using bisque perforated for the contact areas, using bisque non-perforated for the tops of bolsters and using the dark color for the sides and backs. It was done by a place here in Union City, California. I will try to get the name, but I was very satisfied with their work, EXCEPT

The passenger seat got the squeak when I got the car back. I had them adjust it afterward, but they returned it with a rattle -- the seatbelt latch was rattling up against the center console. Then I had them work on it again. Rattle disappeared but squeak returned. What could I do? I took it into my own hands to fix it.

~ dan ~

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

All of the panels of the seat covers are leather right? Was wondering more about the price than the name of the auto upholsterer (I don't have plans of driving cross country). I think one Canadian Chatter recently had all leather seat covers installed for something like $2500.