1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An informed analysis of IPCC errors

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by chogan2, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Obviously, the 'steady rise' covered a very short period of time, and as people like you are constantly pointing out, insignificant as it relates to climate. (The fact that it is significant in a discussion of exaggerating its significance is another matter entirely - one I gather a person of your assumed intelligence can apprehend.)

The larger matter concerning the rising and falling of sea levels over longer periods of time falls into Dr. Moerner's area of expertise. The fact that rising sea levels have demonstrably transpired without rising CO2, knocks a leg out from underneath the A(C)GW theory.

So you must reject Dr. Moerner's conclusions by attempting to tar him by tangential association rather than his science. If you think being interviewed by an enterprise run by LaRouche somehow diminishes the science, well... that's a reflection on how people like you think, rather than on the evidence.

2. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As to RealClimate and one of its 'real scientist' heros:

In an interview published Friday in the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail, Schmidt remarked of Steve McIntyre, "“He could be a scientific superstar,” Mr. Schmidt says. “He's a smart person. He could be adding to the sum total of human knowledge, but in effect he adds to the reduction of the sum total of human knowledge.” The last part of his statement should go down in history as the most anti-scientific sentence ever recorded.
    Contrast this statement with one of history's greatest scientists, Charles Darwin, who stated "to kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact". (Hat tip to Lefty Martin in the comments below.)
    A little context, please... Gavin Schmidt works for NASA, although we know him best for his blogging efforts on Real Climate, the establishment voice for climate science. Schmidt is referring to mistakes in his colleagues' papers that were, in part, highlighted by Steve McIntyre, who publishes his number checking efforts on the website Climate Audit. Schmidt and other members of the climate 'establishment' use the website Real Climate to defend themselves.
    Schmidt and McIntyre were both interviewed (although separately--it'd be fun to see them in the same room, though) about Climategate and the various other 'gates' afflicting the IPCC and other bastions of global warming orthodoxy. McIntyre has found numerous errors in data handling, archiving and analysis in the work of Mann and other scientists. The errors all were in one direction--making global warming look both more severe and more certain. The reaction to McIntyre's critiques has been hostile, obfuscatory and verges on the paranoid.
    Global warming: The most bizarre statement in the history of science

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'm sorry, unable to find the paper by Moerner that is under discussion here. A little help please?

For sea level rise, was not there a graph recently presented in a related PC discussion that showed some degree of rise since 1850 or so? Anyway there are organizations archiving tidal gauge data so I suppose it would not be difficult to draw it.

I know our assignment here is to assess IPCC AR4, but if you don't mind, I'd like to mention this publication by Hans-Martin Füssel:
    "An updated assessment of the risks from climate change based on research published since the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report"
    [FONT=TimesTen-Roman][COLOR=#131313][FONT=TimesTen-Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=#131313]Climatic Change (2009) 97:469–482[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=TimesTen-Bold][COLOR=#131313][FONT=TimesTen-Bold][SIZE=2][COLOR=#131313]DOI 10.1007/s10584-009-9648-5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesTen-Bold][SIZE=2][COLOR=#131313](yes I know that not everyone is going to like the name of that journal! But they have been publishing since 1977; maybe that shows they are not just camp followers on this topic).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesTen-Bold][SIZE=2][COLOR=#131313]This is a Springer journal, and they are 'pay per view' but as usual I hope not to get in too much trouble for offering to share this via private message request. One can freely examine the titles and abstracts of all the papers in this journal, so if any others catch your eye as well...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesTen-Bold][SIZE=2][COLOR=#131313]Füssel came out in December, and there have been some others published since on specific topics, such as Menne's on US surface temperature stations in JGR. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=TimesTen-Bold][SIZE=2][COLOR=#131313]Anyway, my point is that this research did not end when AR4 came out, and there has since been a lot of study (both pro and con one might say) that merits attention.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

4. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Chogan2, last night I was listening to a discussion on tom ashebrookes NPR show about climate change global warming. I got to thinking, in your mind what would disprove global warming/climate change? An honest question not trying to bait you or anything.

6. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The retraction of hundreds of papers from institutions all over the world using different methodologies?

The discovery that thermometers don't really work.

7. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thermometers measure temperatures (which have risen on a mild trend since we started using them), not if CO2 causes catastrophic warming.

The hundreds of papers do not include a single one which establishes an EMPIRICAL link between the rising level of CO2 resulting from carbon burning and a catastrophic warming effect.

So, the shoe is really on the other foot. If scientists can show an empirically established connection between CO2 levels and temperature AND establish empirically that the resulting rise will present significant problems for the planet, then a case will have been made for catastrophic AGW. Until then, the theory is based solely on guesses and computer models tortured until they confess to what AGW adherents wish them to say.

8. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    OK, that's a fair question. I composed a full answer off-line, to try to get this right. What can I say, I'm a (social) scientist, it's my nature to try to get it all down on paper.

I guess you really just want a quick, bottom-line response. It boils down to a generic answer (just below, same answer you'd get for any question about science) and the details around that (further below).

Generically, it’s just like any other science: Either show data that materially contradict the general circulation models (and I’ll narrow that down below), or, if the data remain consistent with the general circulation models, then provide an alternative explanation that’s better than the current model (and I’ll narrow that down below too).

And, to be clear, I don’t mean having somebody slap some crap on the page, as typically done here, and say, there, you’re wrong. I mean, a thoughtful analysis by somebody who knows that they’re doing.

THE FRAMEWORK

Let me limit this to global average temperature trend from the IPCC ensemble of general circulation models. The actual evidence is broader than that, and those models predict vastly more than just the temperature trend. (And, in fact, the good match to the observed, in all those ways, is something that makes the models a lot more believable). If you want to see all the things these models predict, and how the matchup looks (e.g. ) across areas, over time, through the depth of the atmosphere, for precipitation and so on, you can read the IPCC's last report, here, though I guess a lot of that will read like mush to most people:

Chapter 8: Climate Models and their Evaluation

For example, by and large, they don't model the El Nino well. But they're working on that. And that just doesn't much matter for making average predictions over long time scales.

I think its worth taking three sentences to make sure people understand those general circulation models. Those models are not fitted to the temperature data -- they aren't some statistical fit to the data. They predict an atmospheric temperature and a temperature trend, from first principles, based on the laws of physics (and some rules-of-thumb where they can't model it down to that level of detail.) Basically, they just calculate, blind, what they think the temp trend ought to be, based on incoming solar radiation and all the rest of it. They literally predict conditions in the atmosphere, at short time intervals, for small(ish) blocks of atmosphere, for the entire surface of the earth. The trend you see is the average of many runs of those calculations, for modestly different starting values for the models.

And, also to be clear, they don't generate any trend in and of themselves. If you leave out greenhouse gases, the models just predict random variations around a constant temperature, as shown by the blue areas here (no GHG increase) versus the red areas (with GHG increase) (from the 2007 IPCC report):

[​IMG]

And, if you could measure it well, you’d really rather look at surface heat content rather than temperature. But temperature is what everybody looks at.

Let me also put aside all the chatter about how none of the data are right, how (e.g.) scientists across the world have somehow conspired to mis-measure temperature, and so on. That’s essentially just noise by people who, upon examination, seldom have any understanding of what they’re talking about.

That’s not an assertion that the data are perfect, it’s an assertion that none of the amateurs out there has produced a more reliable set of data than the actual scientists have.

This is also not an assertion that the models are perfect. They disagree with one another, so we know there’s not one best solution.

The real question is not yes/no right/wrong. The real question is one you always face with observational (non-experimental) data: Given what we risk by action and inaction, are the models reliable enough and accurate enough that it would be prudent to act on their predictions? Or are they so clearly wrong, or so obviously questionable, that it would be imprudent to act on the model predictions.

That said, I’ll discuss it as global temperature trend (not “the vast array of actual model predictions”), and yes/no (not “reliable enough to be useful”) below.

And, I realize that “the media” get in your face with boogey men all the time. I guess I also need to state why I think this particular boogey man is worth paying attention to.

1: Future temperature change outside the range predicted by the general circulation models.

OK, with that as the frame, practically speaking, if we saw cooling that went beyond the model estimates plus uncertainty, by a significant margin, then that would cause me to change my mind. It would show that the models I am depending on for my understanding of the world are grossly at odds with the data, in a direction that matters for my decisionmaking. So, it’s not simply cooling, it’s really, at this point, failure to warm as fast as (the average of the ensemble of models used by the IPCC) predicts, plus or minus their uncertainty.

Here's how things looked at the end of 2009, for predictions of global average temperature:

[​IMG]

Graphically, if the observed time series for global mean temperature pierced the gray envelope of uncertainty, on the downside, that would make me change my mind. And not just a blip (because, in principle, 1 time of out of 20 you get a "statistically significant" result purely by chance, at the 5% probability level.) For example, you can see one "hot" year that hit the edge of the envelope here. But something prolonged, so that there's no uncertainty that it was unexplained by the existing models of climate. That would certainly prove that my world-view was wrong, at least.

I guess I should specify that by cooling, I mean cooling as measured by the (largely) ground-based observations. The GISS timeseries, the Hadley timeseries. By contrast, "the satellite data" jump around too much to suit me, and different sources that interpret the satellite data have a pretty strong disagreement about basic stuff, like, what's the trend.

At this point, I was going to go into a big song-and-dance about how many years you'd need and blah blah blah, but just eyeball the graph.

Even that wouldn't necessarily mean the theory of GHG-caused global warming was wrong, it would mean that those models are wrong. But I'd accept that as demonstrating that something was deeply wrong about the theory that GHG increases are causing global warming.

2: Alternative, better explanation of the data.

Second, if somebody could provide 1) a convincing alternative explanation of what else is actually causing the warming while, at the same time, 2) explaining why C02 doesn't cause the warming, then I might change my mind on the basis of that. But, basically, 2) isn't going to happen (see Alric above). And all the ones that I've seen for 1) have been pretty half-assed -- most aren't even logically consistent, let alone consistent with the data.

That goes, by the way, for variations on “it’s a natural cycle”. That’s an interesting area for research, I’m not dismissing it. But, fine, if you want to claim that, then, in my book, to claim that this shows it’s not GHGs, then you also have to explain what is wrong with the calculations showing warming from GHGs. Otherwise, you end up with more warming that actually occurred. In other words, a complete alternative explanation must always have two parts: Here’s the real cause, and here’s where all these guys went wrong in calculating that (e.g.) C02 was a greenhouse gas. Ffor the alternative explanation to be preferred, you have to work all that out and demonstrate it empirically, not just raise the possibility that there might be something left out. You have to prove that your alternative explanation is better.

So let me rephrase that. I'm not talking about some half-assed model of correlation between this and that (sunspots and temperature). I'm talking about a fully-worked-out alternative model of how the atmosphere works, based on physical principles, that explains why the earth is warming from some alternative other than GHGs, and explains why GHGs do not actually cause warming. And that alternative model would have to explain the world better than the current one.

What's a good example of what I'd accept there? Well, that paper that came out last month about variation in stratospheric water vapor was pretty good. It was one shot, based on scant data, hasn't been validated, and blah blah blah, but that was genuine news to a lot of scientists. It didn't "disprove global warming", in fact, it included manmade GHG warming and gave a modestly better fit to the data. (So it actually strengthened the case.) But it did show that there are materially important aspects of climate that have not yet been pinned down. You have to be open to the idea that maybe somebody will find one that overturns the whole shebang, though, per Alric's point, that's pretty doubtful.

3) Why pay attention to this boogey man.

Here’s the nutshell view.

We have these models that did a good job of explaining variation in climate in the last century.

So, it’s not that big a stretch to say, they worked OK last century, let’s see what they say about this century.

I think that's a fairly reasonable thing to do. And, then, is there anything a prudent person might want to worry about?

Because, basically, the issue isn't what's already happened. Right now, the total energy imbalance from man amounts to little over a tenth of a percent of the net energy input to the earth (sunlight is about 1300 watts/square meter, net forcing is maybe 2 watts/square meter.) The real issue is, what’s likely to happen if we continue on this path, and really drive the system hard with GHGs. The reason people focus on C02 is that it cumulates and there's no way to get rid of it, at the scale we're producing it, as far as we know now, and it’s the long-term impact of the buildup that’s the issue.

OK, here’s a nice one, taken from this publication in Science:

Model Projections of an Imminent Transition to a More Arid Climate in Southwestern North America -- Seager et al. 316 (5828): 1181 -- Science

If you want to read the whole thing, you need to register.

Let me put up the graph first, then tell you what it means. The blue line is projected precipitation changes for the US Southwest, defined here as everything west of the Mississippi and south of the Nebraska border. Everything to the left and down from the NE corner of Kansas.

[​IMG]
    The key fact is that a value of –0.09 is what brought on the '30s dustbowl. There was one drought in the ‘50s where it hit –0.13. But, basically, where the blue line dips below 0.09, what this graph tells you is that the median projection, from all the models considered by the IPCC, is that the US Southwest is, at that time, probably a dustbowl.

So, the models are saying a couple of things. If we keep doing what we’re doing, it becomes increasingly likely that we’ll make the US Southwest into a permanent dustbowl. And, the even-money bet for when it flips to dustbowl conditions is 2050. And, though you can’t see it on the graph, but could read it in the underlying article, roughly speaking, there’s a one-in-four chance that could happen by 2030.

To be clear, it doesn’t say 100% chance of dustbowl. It says the even-money bet starts at 2050, and beyond that, it’s a better-than-even-money bet that it’ll happen.

So, the models say, keep doing what you’re doing, and it’s a pretty good bet you’ll take about a quarter of the US lower-48 land mass and convert it to a dust bowl.

The way this gets written up is, if you want to see what we're going to look like by mid-century, take a look at what's happening in Australia now. Not sure how valid it is, but they've certainly had a drought of epic proportion, with dust storms to match.

Me, I think that’s worth paying attention to. I'm not talking about boohoo the polar bears are toast (pity, but not key in my life). I'm talking about, what are my grandchildren going to eat when they get to be my age?

And that’s not even close to the worst risk, and certainly not the only risk, that you get when you run the models forward far enough. But isn’t that enough to make you take note of the issue?

So at the end of the day, you pays your money and you takes your chances. You look at the best available evidence. A whole lot of very smart people think they've figured this out. What they say forms an internally consistent view of the world, that is consistent with the laws of physics, and that appears to match observations (to within the uncertainty of the models and data.) The models that show those bad outcomes for decades out also show that we need to start cutting back now if we want to avoid them. The probable downsides of inaction appear pretty costly. Any reasonable analysis of the issue (e.g., the US CBO) shows that the likely cost of cutting back use of carbon-based fuels is relatively modest (e.g., 2% of GDP by 2050). I’d pay 2% of GDP to avoid a US Southwest dust bowl, and I don’t even live there.

Basically, I think it's literally cheaper to do the preventive maintenance now, than to try to do the repairs later. What’s it worth to lose a quarter of the US lower 48 land mass, permanently, to dustbowl conditions? I think it’s cheaper, and certainly less risky, to cut carbon output now.

5 people like this.
  9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wow, what a response. I will take some time to read it thouroughly, without interruptions later. Thank you.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Arrhenius showed in 1896 that CO2 is a planetary greenhouse gas. Since the increasing atmospheric CO2 of the industrial age comes from burning fossil fuels, we're left with
    (1) arguing about how much warming constitutes a catastrophe, and
    (2) hoping that some side effect (for example, cooling from increased albedo) will by chance offset the greenhouse warming. (Of course even if there were it would not prevent the increased CO2 from making the oceans more acidic, which could eventually kill off everything in the sea that has bones or a shell.)

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "The hundreds of papers do not include a single one which establishes an EMPIRICAL link between the rising level of CO2 resulting from carbon burning and a catastrophic warming effect."

This strikes me as perhaps a structure thaat is intended to somehow deflate the meaning of hundreds of papers, etc. The search, or hope that there is just one publication that does it all would certainly not be my approach.

To appreciate the extent to which atmospheric CO2 levels have been tightly linked to global temerature / energy content for 100s of millions of years, one could perhaps do not better than let Richard Alley (AGU video I've linked at PC before) explain it.

Whether the CO2 is from fossil fuel burning, biomass burning, soil respiration, volcanoes, or ocean re-equilibriation matters not at all to how that CO2 interacts with infrared light. Some may take offense if I identify that as a red herring, but that's the way it goes.

As to how much 2 or 4 or 6 degrees will alter the world's suitability for humans and others, IPCC AR4 was the state of the art in 2007. More things have been published since then, and they are not really hard to find. There is quite a wide range of findings overall I'd say, from 'not all that bad' to 'our goose is cooked'. Here again, I cannot direct you to "the one" that tells it all with certainty.

So if there is not 'just one' that satisfies the stated desire, where does that leave us? Makes much more sense to me to examine what we know, the range of uncertainty in what we don't, and what are the costs and +/- of doing various things about it.

12. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chogan,

Very nice synopsis, I hope you don't mind it I use some of it (with proper citation) in future arguments.

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can you find the Richard Alley video link ?
    I searched and no luck.

14. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Tochatihu put that in a recent thread about C02. I couldn't get it to play but my browser is out-of-date.

A23A

Tochatihu: My apology, it was my browser, plays OK in Internet Explorer, I'm running it now. Thanks for the link.

Skipping through it, I see what you mean. I'll run it in one piece this weekend when I have the time. The guy clearly knows his stuff, and the explanations are something that anyone could understand. Very nice. I see now why you were pushing this.

Basically, there are no more significant anomalies between C02 and temperature. I'd stumbled across the ordovician glaciation myself, I hadn't realized the most recent research appears to explain the remaining ones.

This guy is a phenomenally good speaker.

1 person likes this.
  15. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Knock yourself out, for what it's worth. It was a serious question, I thought it deserved a serious reply.

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link.
    @35-39 minute mark R.Alley addresses the criticism that his AGW theory is flawed .
    He addresses the fact that rising CO2 levels lag warming periods (by 800 years) ,thus CO2 cannot be causal.
    His analogy of credit card debt and interest is so weak.
    What caused the initial rise in temperature?
    What was the initial credit card debt caused by?It wasnt CO2.
    After temp has peaked ,CO2 levels are still rising .
    Next ,while CO2 levels are peaking, temperatures have already begun a steep decline.
    How is this possible?
    To use his logic, peak CO2 must cause steep temperature declines.
    Basically his explanation is ,he has no other idea what causes global warming so it must be CO2.
    Which isnt an explanation at all.Its illogical speculation.

17. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Two points.

Don't confuse the subject of his talk with our current climate change. The cycles he is talking about occur over hundreds of thousands of years and are due to well understood orbital changes (Milankovich cycles).

What is so scary about current climate change is that warming is occurring outside of the expected cycle!

Second: He is not saying that we don't know what causes the high increase in temperature so it must be CO2. What he is saying is that the high temperatures can be explained by the CO2 and in fact can not be explained without taking into account CO2.

Your argument is not valid because a) CO2 is there so there is no need to invoke an unknown mechanism. b) There is nothing else that could exacerbate the temperature to those levels.

18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I realize that hes talking about ice core data.
    Your statement "warming is occurring outside of the expected cycle!"
    is absolutely untrue.
    We are currently at the end of a 15,000 year interglacial warming period.
    b) There is nothing else that could exacerbate the temperature to those levels.
    That is the speculation.
    Just recently there was a study showing that water vapor was a major cause of warming and cooling.The study estimated that models of warming are off by 30%.Who knows,maybe they are off by 100%.
    This is something not even considered in Alleys theory.
    Apparently,what we dont know is a lot greater than what is known.
    But because we have "nothing else"then it must be CO2.
    Global Warming precedes CO2 levels by 800 years,and Alley has no rational explanation for that.

19. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    OK, the credit card analogy was strained.

But my takeaway from this is that I seem to approach these things with a more humble attitude than most.

When a world-renowned expert gives a plenary lecture at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union, talking to an audience of experts, ... my first instinct is at least to pay attention to what he said before I dismiss him as being too stupid to understand what he's talking about. I mean, like, nobody in the audience was smart enough to call him out on this?

What caused the rise? You must have missed the part where he put up the fast-Fourier-transform of the the temperature changes, labeled the peaks in the frequency domain to show you what part of changes in earth's orbit those corresponded to, then went on to discuss how the initial changes in temperature were unambiguously caused by orbital changes.

How did you miss the part of the slide on that card analogy where he labeled the start of the warming "orbits".

Maybe you missed the part around 4:30 where he, in essence, gently mocked somebody who sent him an email about that exact point? And got a brief round of applause? And brought that exact quote (
    "This one scientific fact alone ...) when he discussed the lag.

Illogical speculation? Did you see the part where they took general circulation models, reprogrammed them for those periods, and got a much reduced warming without the C02. But replicated the warming with it. That's a physics-based calculation of what the temperature should have been.

The cartoon version is: in the paleo data, orbital changes initiate warming/cooling, and C02 feedback enhances the change. Without the feedback, you can't explain the size of the change. Orbital forcing along can't explain it. With C02, you can. It's that simple. You only get half the warming with orbital changes alone.

Are you worried about the timing? Why? Today's situation is completely different with respect to the cause of the increased C in the air.

Then, in the ice ages, we were looking at carbon that was being driven into or out of the biosphere by changes in temperature initiated by the orbital forcing. E.g. driven out of solution in the ocean (just like warming up a can of Coke).

Now, at present, that's not the source of the carbon. We know the source of the carbon in the current issue. It's us. We've got receipts. Statistics of trade tell us total oil, natural gas, coal sales. Translate that to gigatons of C burned, and it's more than the annual increase in C in the atmosphere. Nature remains a net sink. The ocean isn't off-gassing slowly, as during the ice ages, it's soaking up the excess carbon that we've put into the air.

So the timing issue, for the ice age cycles, is irrelevant to the modern situation. Why? Because then, they were looking at the slow release of C due to temperature changes initiated by orbital forcing. Now, we're looking at a vastly faster increase in C due to burning.

Look at the time scales on his charts. In the ice-age cycles, atmospheric C02 varied by about 100 ppm over the course of >100,000 years.

Ice age, from start to finish, 100 ppm C02, >100,000 years. Carbon slowly moved out of biosphere into atmosphere. Required initial temperature rise to initiate it.

We've raised atmospheric C02 100 ppm in a little over 100 years. Carbon being dug up and burned. No need for temperature change to initiate it -- no need to for lag.

On average, C02 is increasing roughly 1000 times faster than the average change over the ice-age cycle, for the past four ice ages.

That slow, gentle, tiny lag over the >100,000 year ice age cycle -- it just isn't relevant to what's going on now.

1 person likes this.
  20. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'll make it simple:

Over the last four ice ages, the feedback from slowly warming temperatures due to orbital changes, to slowly increasing atmospheric C02 levels, appears to account for about half the total warming/cooling that appears over the typical ice age cycle.

My vague recollection is that this is why Milankovitch cycles were originally dismissed. Scientists calculated the warming you'd get and it wasn't enough, by itself, to account for the temperature change. So, the fact that orbital forcing alone was insufficient to explain the (depth of the) ice ages has been known for a long time. The point of that part of the slide show is that the feedback to C02 changes explained the rest.

Yeah, it's even on wikipedia:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles]Milankovitch cycles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

"The effects of these variations are primarily believed to be due to variations in the intensity of solar radiation upon various parts of the globe. Observations show climate behaviour is much more intense than the calculated variations."

So nobody said that C02 changes caused the ice ages. At least not anybody smart. What they said is that they amplified them. The root cause is orbital variation, as was stated clearly in that lecture. But the fact that C02 amplifies them is evidence that changes in C02 warm or cool the planet.