1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An Open Invitation:

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by radioprius1, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you aren't discussing how man influenced our climate in the last 100 years, and how that influence is greater than what is done by natural variability in previous centuries then you are not discussing anything related to the thread.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes! You finally get it! You want to discuss a time frame I do not beleive encompasses the problems or solutions. What happens in the short term is just weather, long term trends are climate. One hopes you would agree an ice age represents a climate change.

(You may need to explain your definition of strawman, the one I use does not seem to apply to my premises. I keep citing climate changes, you keep wanting to talk about a mere 100 year time frame. I seriously doubt that goats were introduced to all of North Africa within 100 years, or that Clovis man wiped out the megafauna of North America within 100 years. Not to mention how long it has taken mankind to occupy all the arable land on earth. I just don't see how to both only talk about the last 100 years AND discuss climate change rationally)

You do not seem to even be reading my replies, the industrial revolution did NOT happen in the last 100 years, no climate change I have mention happened in the last one hundred years. Ask someone in 2510 about climate change in 2010 and you can get a reliable answer, but I can't give you one. But I do feel we have a good handle on changes started 500 years ago. Since we do not have a 'control earth' and a 'test earth' to do experiments on, we have to look at what DID happen. If you have several earths we could borrow, you can greatly improve scientific accuracy on this.

I wish I could discuss meaningfully within your premises, I fear I am only agitating you, without making you examine your premises. For this I am truly sorry.

3. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are not agitating me. I too feel we cannot discuss anything either because you are inventing all new definitions than what climate science uses.

For instance, no one in the field of climatology that discusses climate change would define climate as greater than 100 years (let alone 20,000 years.) Also, with regards to the industrial revolution, etc, the scientific literature states that the sun drove all variability until 1975 (the cutoff at 1975 is based on known-to-be-bad computer models.) This excludes any input from the industrial revolution having to do with warming or climate change. The entire premise of the global warming hypothesis is that the warming from 1975 - 1998 was greater than that of what could be expected by natural variation alone.

Thus my request for examples of conclusive experiments that demonstrate that variations in global climate in the last hundred years are significantly outside the natural range experienced in previous centuries.

This is what people who think humans are contributing significantly to climate change believe. I'm asking for hardcore evidence. Three pages, and no one can provide any evidence to support any of the points, and yet they all believe the points.

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is tragic that both I and The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have it all wrong then.

"Climate in a narrow sense is usually defined as the "average weather," or more rigorously, as the statistical description in terms of the mean and variability of relevant quantities over a period of time ranging from months to thousands or millions of years. The classical period is 30 years, as defined by the World Meteorological Organization. These quantities are most often surface variables such as temperature, precipitation, and wind. Climate in a wider sense is the state, including a statistical description, of the climate system."

5. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you are wrong in saying that I am wrong :) Also you have failed to provide any conclusive evidence that demonstrates that variations in global climate in the last hundred years are significantly outside the natural range experienced in previous centuries.

Please stick to the topic of the thread.

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am comforted that mere facts do not sway you.
    "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”- Homer Simpson

As I keep saying, it is not possible to sanely discuss that premise.

7. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time, for so many different reasons. The entire premise of anthropogenic climate change (climate change due to the human production of greenhouse gases) is that we have experienced variations in our recent climate (say, last 30 years - the IPCC definition) that are outside of normal variations.

If you stick to your guns that it is not possible to discuss that because it is impossible to discern climate change in periods < 20,000 years (or whatever) then you must admit that the entire premise of anthropogenic climate change is incorrect.

Alternatively, if you do believe that our recent climate has changed due to human produced greenhouse gases, then you must support this belief with conclusive evidence that demonstrates that variations in global climate in the last hundred years are significantly outside the natural range experienced in previous centuries.

8. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guys, can anyone provide a legitimate answer to the first post in this thread?

9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly, the National Weather Service was doing a poor job even 150 years ago*, so no, no one has interesting and detailed weather data from much over 100 years ago.

Without accurate data from outside your period, how could you contrast your period with some other period you don't have data on?

*They were not formed until 1870
    National Weather Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How soon they forget. The IPCC used 'months to thousands or millions of years'. It was the World Meteorological Organization that used 30 years. (Unless you have another source than mine, in Wikipedia.

Climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

11. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure, I agree with that.

I hope you realize that by arguing against my asking global warming believers to support their hypothesis that you are in fact strengthening my argument against the global warming believers.

Thank you!

Now does anyone else want to show any of the overwhelming evidence that supports any of the statements from the first post?

Edit: 4th page and no one can show any hardcore evidence to support the global warming hypothesis.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So long as you realize I have never offered any opinion about 'global warming' what so ever. I have merely pointed out that I can't make any sense out of your questions. That would detract from their argument if your questions were in fact their questions.

13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do realize that if they did, it would not BE a hypothesis. it would be a theory. I see no way to test any climate hypothesis except in real time, in 500 years, we will know.

Hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Until then, we are just typing.

14. dg1014

dg1014 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thankyou in that one statement alone you just disproved AGW:D

15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I see you did not read the link on how to disprove a hypothesis, and how you can never prove one. The prime way to disprove a hypothesis is via experiment and observation. If mankind can do an experiment that DOES change the climate, just doing the experiment at all moves us from theory to fact. I suspect we will have to rely on observation.

16. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think Jimbo has backed himself into a corner :)

ANYWAY...

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No, I am outside your box. I do not believe you are measuring climate, (nor to I believe the World Meteorological Organization is measuring climate if they think 30 years is not just weather. I favor the IPCC's time frames: several months to millions of years) so you are not getting good answers, since you are not measuring what you think you are.

Since you are not measuring climate change, arguing about whether or not it is man made is not productive. (Pick a known climate change, say an Ice age, do you think any single 100 year period shows dramatic change? I don't. Significant change? I don't. Measureable change? I do. Yet the OP insists he only wishes to consider the last 100 years)

I do believe climate is changed by Man, and based on random chance, about half will be warming effects and half will be cooling effects, so technically I do believe in man based global warming AND man based global cooling, I just have no perspective to allow me to say what we are doing now. I mistrust human records on weather before the NWS and it foreign equivalents, and I don't like the short base line of records after that creation.

In my youth, a journalist asked a historian what the historical significance of the Vietnam war was. The historian claimed they were just getting the historical significance of the Civil War and that they felt they had a good handle on the historical significance of the Revolutionary War. He suggested that in 150 years, historians would agree on the significance of the Vietnam war.

News and history have the same relation as weather and climate, history is made of news, but much news never becomes history. Climate is made of weather, but much weather is not climate.

1 person likes this.
  18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shouldn't be too hard, all we need is another planet just like this one as a control ...

Alternatively why not just go along our merry way and when this planet is stuffed we can just move to that other planet. See no problem.

1 person likes this.
  19. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I assure you that in the climate debate you are alone in believing that we are not measuring climate. But, you are free to believe whatever you want. You quote the IPCC report, but you ignore the entire message of it - they believe that we are measuring and changing climate.

20. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the best way we can combat global warming is to ignore the hot air emanating from RP1. Instead of wasting any more of our energy trying to talk to the wall, we concentrate our energy on being positive.

I plead guilty to prolonging hopeless debate(s) over the months with the feeling that either one could change his mind, or that by keeping him contained on this forum perhaps I could limit the damage he can do to this forum.

It has finally become clear that like beating a mule with a 2x4 you eventually realize after a while, you aren't likely to make progress, and indeed the mule likes it. The classic definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again expecting a different result. I for one am coming out of rehab on this subject. I may not be cured, but I am going to try real hard not to respond to even the most outrageous behavior. No promises however.

I suggest that others do the same, (as others have suggested to me!)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.