1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

An ultra safe rear jacking adapter plate for tire changing and work in brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since I first got my Prius, I explored the safest way to jack up the rear corner of your Gen 3 Prius to change a tire or to do brake work.

The problem was how to raise one rear corner of my Prius just enough to get the tire off the ground to remove the tire without a high lift extending both the shock absorber and spring to maximum length making it less safe.

We machined of the peek (polyetheretherketone), one of the most durable but expensive commercially available plastics invented in the 1970’s for the space program.

Placing the floor jack under the spring mount means that the jack needs to lift the rear corner of the car only an inch above the pavement with one third of the needed pumps of the handle. Oftentimes any movement of the car like jacking up the front with another jack would cause the bottom of the spring mount to slip off of the top of the rear jack, Locking the top to the spring mount means that any movement would be done by the jack’s wheels, not sliding off of its top.

The top is made to fit into the center hole of the spring mount and the bottom is recessed to fit the head of any inexpensive two ton trolley like the $33 Walmart Hyper Tough model shown, with the swiveling cup removed. (easily done by pulling the retaining pin holding the center retaining rivet.) The adapter plate will also fit any flat top racing floor jack.

top view.jpg bottom view on jack.jpg rear spring mount.jpg raised.jpg

#1 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 15, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    Doug McC likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On my unit with a hidden hitch it's a brand of receiver You just turn a 3-in drop hitch piece upside down or put it the wrong way on the tube and put your jack right under that about three pumps takes both wheels right off the ground and that's that I guess it lets the shock extend to the distance of the rear spring plate opening at the top of the strut but that's limited to what the clearance is most all my Priuses have to have a hitch or receiver.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd rather just raise the full rear, using the proscribed rear jacking point. Can't see any downside to that.

mhdriver likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I like taking two wheels up at the same time front or back but both of them If I had one of those old European jacks that attach it to the receiver and put a piece in the front for a square tube to go in under the aluminum bumper and cut the bumper cover and then I could lift the car and rotate it side to side and everything while it's up off the ground but that's not happening here I don't need that kind of jacking capability here at the house

5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The key to the design is to make changing the rear tire, working on the rear brakes or replacing the rear wheel bearing as safe as possible.

Jacking up using the rear jacking point means raising both rear wheels off the ground by 10-12 inches. That's a long distance to fall off the jack.

Using our tool means that three of the four wheels are still sitting on the ground. One wheel is raise about an inch off the ground. Basically, the car is sitting at ground level.

Even if the jack fails and collapses with the wheel off, the jack, locked onto the spring mount will still keep the brak disk from hitting the ground.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or a piece of wood. But, the jack fits, with nothing else.
    Then use a jack stand to back up the jack.
    I've never had a problem with this.
    And only one wheel is off the ground.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Today, I went out to my local Toyota dealer and measured the center hole on the rear lower coil spring mount on the 2023 Rav4, the Corolla, the Camry and especially the 2023 Prius.

They were all within 0.15 inch or each other, The 2.018 or 55mm center post on my adapter plate will work perfectly on all.

I've uploaded a photo of the left rear spring of the 2023 Prius.

Prius 2023 rear suspension.JPG

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That’s so clean!

10. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

The jacking plate has been further machined to fit the top pf any OEM supplied scissors jack, so it will allow changing a tire with minimal lift for extra stability.

bottom milled.jpg
    side view on jack.jpg

rear wheel raised.jpg

11. mhdriver

mhdriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm using a very heavy duty racing jack with a piece of 2 x 6 because getting the car up on jack stands, minimum height is 16 inches. I've got 6k lb jack stands, I can't fathom having a problem with those. Putting the car up to 20 inches is what I really need to get my fat rear end underneath it to have enough room to work when I'm on a creeper. Did a transmission fluid change with it up 16 inches, apparently never done before, had a hell of a time getting the fill plug out. Very tight quarters. When I took out the lower plug, that old fluid shot out like a rocket. I was soaked with it. Would have been comical if set to Benny Hill music. At any rate, planning on putting it up 20 inches next time around. So I'll be putting 6 inches of wood under the jack, 1.5 inches on top of the jack, jacking it up in 2 steps. Would be nice to have a lift.