1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ancient Manuscript Revealed..!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 7 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]236475[/snapback]</div>
    definately not alone. Not too long ago, you would be publicly chastised for voicing these kinds of opinions. Certain Christian-types are themselves not very forgiving and can be downright evil.

I too was raised Catholic and the hypocrisy I saw in all organized cults (religion) so clearly did not bode well with my morals.

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 6 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]236216[/snapback]</div>
    The goddess Eastre or Eostre is an old pagan goddess of fertility and rebirth represented by her earthly symbols of rabbits (fertility) and eggs (rebirth) in the spring time.

Much like how the winter festivals got co-opted to become Christmas, fall harvest festivals became Halloween, the spring festivals got co-opted to become Easter.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I love the way some of you folks have this big chip on your shoulders regarding religion. You sort of either buy into it or not, instead, you seem to trash it, and snub anyone who participates. It's like you're actually pissed off you were exposed to it... :rolleyes:

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]236502[/snapback]</div>
    You mean like SEX? :lol:

5. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 7 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]236502[/snapback]</div>
    I guess since it is shoved down my (and most of our) throats almost daily, it does get a little old. Even yesterday, my wife was in Target and was approached by an LDS (latter day saint type). The lady got very insistant and started questioning her beliefs. Believe me, my wife was in no mood for things like that. With that, there was a short verbal altercation.

Between that kind of stuff and the door-to-door mormons trying to "sell" their god, you can see how I get a little p.o.'d.

Morally, I believe that I have as much right to not participate (in organized religion) as those who participate. I don't push my non-belief on anybody and expect to be treated the same. I'm only discussing it here not to push anything, but to make a point about how I feel.

Mentally, and this is only MY opinion (so plesae don't flame me), organized religion is the exact same thing as a cult. There is not much of a difference. People who follow are "sheep"...weak in mind, with the need to follow something bigger then themselves, something supernatural. Some weak people also worship other things too to supplement this weakness...movie stars, sports teams, rock stars. They are also the people who were raised by guilt - "guilted" into believing because if not, they will burn in hell.

I've studied theology and even had the plan to go to the seminary following high school. I worked at church, wrote sermons, etc. So this is not just the outside looking in. In my life, I've seen too many terrible things that my god would not have let happen....

There is so much more but I'll just leave it at that. All this is very sensitive to me.

6. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2Hybrids @ Apr 8 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]236707[/snapback]</div>
    To make Squid understand your point you should give him an example of worshipping George W, because he is his prophet. Anything George says is sacred. You don't question George, you don't make negative comments about him. Anyone who does is a sinner. You must live in fear and be obedient. That's his cult.

Every religion is based on human interpretation and human manipulation. It's core purpose is to control in one way or the other. Anyone who questions the control has to be condemned.

Grown up people are an extension of children. They love fairytales.

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2Hybrids @ Apr 8 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]236707[/snapback]</div>
    Now that I can see... I was brought up in a traditional (more or less) Christian family and even went to Catholic school from 1st grade to 4th, then to public, and so on an so fourth. So it was never really "shoved" down my throat, who knows maybe if I had stayed in Catholic school all the way I might have shared your sentiments on the matter. From my standpoint based on my experiences, most Catholics/Christians are kind, Jesus loving folks who don't try to push their beliefs onto me, and seem to be quite the happy and content bunch, always pleasant.

Anyway... :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Apr 8 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]236710[/snapback]</div>
    Hey man, I don't worship Bush at all. I simply tend to agree with most of his actions based upon a variety of factors, AND, unlike MOST, can actually sit down and objectively assess what he's doing without getting my panties into a bunch simply because all my friends don't like him. ;)

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 8 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]236808[/snapback]</div>

THE SQUID WEARS LADIES UNDIES!!! :eek:

Sorry dude, just couldn't let that pass... :lol: :ph34r:

9. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 8 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]236808[/snapback]</div>
    "...because all my friends don't like him."
    did you forget to turn your "objectivity" button on?

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 8 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]236808[/snapback]</div>
    you've never met my mother, who insisted we would burn in hell for being married outdoors. because it wasn't in a church.

never mind what she said about us being married by a nondenominational pastor!

and she's by far not the worst of them.

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybridTHEvibe @ Apr 8 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]236818[/snapback]</div>
    would it really matter?

:lol:

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin...

So, because some particular person "offended" you in speaking about religion, or Christ, you condemn Christianity. Because evil, imperfect MAN twists any particular religion, condemn the religion.

People will believe what they wish to believe....and what most people believe should not matter to others.

We ALL make decions in life based on ALL we have learned and experienced through life. Condeming a political leader because he MUST be making decisions based on his fundementalism is condeming yourself because of the same. (In other words, you would do the very same in the same position)

You may choose to believe everey argument against God, I choose to believe every argument for God.

It is faith....both ways.... because none of it can be PROVEN.

However, I believe that when it WILL be proven.....it will be too late to change your mind.

13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 10 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]237490[/snapback]</div>
    Uh?

I think most of us believes in GOD, just not the made up religions that is made by man to control.

IMO, GOD is in each of our heart, not in the structures that are built. Nor in somone else's believes either. And as long as their believes are not shoved down my throat, we can all be friends.

14. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Still, regardless of your concept of God, there will be a day that a person will find out for sure if this concept is correct. If a person's concept is incorrect, it will be too late at that point.

There are obviously people that utilize religion for their own selfish ambitions and purposes. The church is full of humans who can be cruel, spiteful, back-biting, and judgmental, just like the world is. So one leaves the church because it is full of sinners and lo and behold, the world is full of sinners too.

Wanting there to be something more than just this life and there to be some meaning in all of the madness does not make one weak or simple minded.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 10 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]237565[/snapback]</div>
    You can call a fish god, you can call a tree god, you can call the wind god.....There is only one GOD. Whose GOD is it is the real question.

Well, my God is every man's God. The one God, the only God. The basic question here is how does this God want to be treated and worshipped.

Better get it right, most omnipotent beings are quite jealous.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    is god really that judgmental? he/she/it equips us with the power of reason, of free thinking and actions, and then expects us to not question everything around us, including whether or not there really is a god... and then sends us to hell for not knowing or believing the wrong thing?

i feel the concept should be the important part here. the concept is that we should all be compelled to be good people, to help in the improvement of our fellow people, to care about others and not leave them hanging in need of help, etc. just because someone follows say buddhism instead of christianity or judaism or whatever the "correct" religion may be (and i mean not to imply that any of the practices i just mentioned are or are not "correct"), doesn't mean they should be tossed into hell by a jealous god simply because they didn't get it "right."

17. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 10 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]237876[/snapback]</div>

I totally agree. Can't say it any better.

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 10 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]237876[/snapback]</div>
    See, you can't really apply Earthly logic to a supernatural being. You cannot apply if/then arguments. The basic idea is generally summed up with the saying, "God only knows...". The idea is he has his own plans for you and humanity in general, for which you, generally, cannot possibly understand. Why does a "good" 17 year old die in some stupid way like choking on an ice cream cone? Only God knows, maybe it was his time to enter the Kingdom, maybe by him dying, 500,000 other people would be saved 150 years from now, completely unknown to humanity, that sort of thing... Faith... All faith based upon what has been said, written, and how you feel...

:ph34r:

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 10 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]237884[/snapback]</div>
    With that logic, George W. Bush is the God's intent to make man better. :rolleyes:

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 10 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]237876[/snapback]</div>

I will have to agree with Squid's comment that you cannot use earthly logic. God is not judgemental in the sense others imply. God created man to worship him. This worship includes all that "stuff" about doing good, etc. All he asks is that 1) you worship him, and 2) if you want eternal life, you must ask Jesus to be your personal saviour. "Acts" alone cannot result in the receipt of this eternal gift. You don't have to do any acts at all, just believe. Very simple.

So, this being the only rule.....it is each individual who creates his/her own destiny.

You mention being "compelled" to be good people. Compelled by who???? God does not "send" you to hell in the sense you imply. Man sends himself to hell. If I owned heaven, why would I let anyone in who does not accept me. Hey, it's my house, after all.

I don't think asking for someone just to accept me is unreasonable.

As a small aside, I always wondered why people didn't just "say" they believed in order to go to heaven. Now I understand...whatever else God allows, He will not allow Himself to be mocked.

People simply cannot "pretend" to be saved. It is a physical and mental impossibility.

Oh, other things...You cannot "lose" your salvation once saved.
    There will be rewards and punishments (though probably nothing man can describe) for the "acts" of the saved
    Once you are saved you become a new man and EVERYTHING you did in the past is forgotten.
    What counts toward/against you in heaven are those acts AFTER you are saved.
    God loved you so much he allowed his only son to be viciously murdered for the sins of ALL mankind.

Now, I will say again, how does my believing these things offend anyone. What it has done is made me work at improving my relationship with people and the world around me. I also have found that the lies and arguments presented to me in my first 46 yrs only sounded logical because I had never listened to the Holy Spirit before. Now, when I hear all that stuff, i am simply bemused and amused. It really is so very simple. Probably why Man cannot accept it. "I am a HUMAN, I have all the answers. All good MUST come from me and I am in CONTROL of my destiny"

Balderdash....We are lost and can do NOTHING to save ourselves.