1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured And then there were 6

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Sep 15, 2015.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic mainstream deliverables. Those are projects outside of high-volume production intent. In other words, the spin of portraying a long-term effort as something other than that is wasting our time.

We have Tesla & Nissan pursuing high-volume project. You telling us the other 4 have the same intent? Where did you get that information?

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Read my OP again. There is no mention of mainstream. If you want to start a Fuel cells at 3000/year world wide is mainstream but model x and s are not, go ahead. But I consider Tesla will be doing hundreds of thosands of bevs a year, which is high volume for a new car company IMHO. These other 5 companies are trying to expand that.

I don't know what you are doing on this thread. You are wasting my time with this pretend high volume future (mirai) but BEVs as a dead end. That just doesn't sound right.

I think they all are making a good faith investment. Do you have other information?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That reinforces exactly what I was saying. Toyota clearly states intent. It gets disregarded. The other automakers make vague statements. Those get assumed as solid promises.

In other words, since when is "good faith" anything to bank on?

We've seen that mistake playout again and again and again...

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Troy, could you give us a review of your FCV ownership so far?

Thx

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not quite sure what you are talking about here. Toyota said they fuel cells would take over, but when it came to numbers its, 5700 in 2015-2017 (average less than 2000/year) then 3000/year until a new fuel cell vehicle is mass production. Maybe they will be maystream in 100 years according to toyota's official pr. That is rather vague thing to bet on. Maybe in 2020 after the olumpic they will give up, or maybe they will make "tens of thousands a year". No car company really has delivered on fuel cell promises, but some take the mass production some time, maybe 10 years out on faith.

I don't assume that all the makers - tesla, nissan, chevy, ford, porsche, and audi will all make tens of thousands of 200+ mile (or 300+ km) bevs a year, but they are all trying. Tesla will for sure as they are doing it already. That type of competition should ensure battery r&d and a good variety of vehicles. We have a compact in the bolt, a midsize sports sedan in the model 3, a luxury sports sedans in the porsche and model S, SUVs in the model X and audi. Ford looks like the most likely to drop out, but maybe even Toyota will follow in the space after it is more fully established.

We've seen big car companies and CARB pretend BEVs won't have a market before, but the market is there, just a little slower than plug-in advocates hoped for. There have been 1 M plug-ins sold world wide.

The 100 mile (imev type) idea did not find traction. 200+ mile bevs seem to be what customers are asking for. If governments scale back cafe, that may slow adoption, but puthing out these plug-ins is likely the cheapest way to reduce oil use and comply with us cafe and european co2 regulations.[/quote][/QUOTE]

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota states they are going to make 3000 FCEVs that didn't meet US safety regulations, and needed a waiver. They haven't stated what their exact goals are after that. Unless there is a major market or political change, it can be taken on faith they will continue with FCEVs.

Most, maybe all, of the makers planning a 150/200 mile BEV already have a short range one available in the US market, or they will soon. They aren't just making statements about selling a BEV, they actually are doing so now.

austingreen likes this.
  7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I expect the Model 3 to be very much like a smaller and more economical Model S. I'm certainly interested. I don't need 0-60 in under 10 seconds. I most certainly hope the ordinary car buyer (which is actually a pickup truck buyer) is not that interested initially. Supply and demand can make for an highly sought after Model 3.