1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android app to track my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by needaprius, Apr 27, 2013.

1. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello I have GenIII, with navigation package (built) in. I wonder if there is an APP on Android market that would let my phone sync with my car GPS and be able to track it. Kind of a security if someone drives away with my car I will be able to track it where it is. Is there such an APP?

2. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    any one?

3. rhsanborn

rhsanborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't believe there is anything that would do this. Entune gets it's connection from a mobile phone (i.e. you have to be in the car with the phone). It can also download traffic and weather from SiriusXM but that is download only. There is no way for the car to transmit it's location. Safety Connect does transmit location, but Toyota keeps a pretty close lock on that. I just looked it up and you have to have a police report before they'll release the car location.

The short of it is that it doesn't look like there is an app that allows tracking the car.

As a quick side note, as I've seen other people have this confusion: GPS is a one-way communication. GPS satellites continually broadcast a signal that your car picks up and then triangulates with a few other GPS satellite signals to determine location. The actual calculation of your location happens on the GPS device. The GPS device generally transmits nothing, so the satellites have no idea where your GPS receiver is. Therefore, without some transmitter, no central location knows where the GPS device is, and therefore there is no way to get that information to an app.

The Safety Connect should have that capability from a technical perspective, but Toyota has chosen to keep that internal, it also requires a subscription fee.

4. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As many mobile operators offers a tracking of the particular phone - i.e. for parents who looks after their children, I have an idea. To buy cheapest mobile phone with your's operator SIM card and hide it inside the car.
    Thank you for the inspiration - I'm going to use one of my old phones and tomorrow I'll buy one of those pre-paid SIM cards :) My operator offers such a service with the location of the registered phone on Google Maps.

3TE likes this.
  5. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The problem is no matter how you slice it there has to be some sort of transmission device in the car. A localized device will give you limited range. A cellphone enabled device will give you long range. Devices like lojack use the long range. your best bet as Les_PL stated is to get a cheap cell that has built in GPS and track it.

I've tracked my kid on his Iphone (the iphone 4 is free with 2y agreement) I only pay 20 bucks a month for his phone on a family plan.

There are cheaper options for cars... just google search GPS vehicle tracker.

6. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hmm. The reason I asked this question is recent incidents in Boston where in the Mercedes driver had an IPHONE app that let the police to track the car once it was hijacked by the DUO. It is a very good app if it is available from security perspective. IMO

7. prius cabbie

prius cabbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My taxi has a gps system that tracks my location and route taken. Maybe you could get something like it. I can go online and see where my taxi is even when it is turned off. If the fuse is pulled then I cant track it.

8. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  9. rekniht01

rekniht01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was in conjunction with MB mBrace feature. The car was broadcasting its location to the system. The owner could then show it's location on his smartphont.

10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    rhsanborn likes this.
  11. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    rhsanborn and p00kienrayray like this.
  12. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If only I can double "like" your post!(y)
    This is what I've been looking for! And it beeps your wallet too?:cool: I'm gonna reserve one now.
    Wouldn't this tracker be sufficient for OP's intended use in a car?

BTW, the video on the site was actually pretty funny.

3TE likes this.
  13. rekniht01

rekniht01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That device only uses Bluetooth. It tells you when the bluetooth connection between your phone and the tracker is interrupted. It would be of little use tracking a car.

p00kienrayray likes this.
  14. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ahh...I see...didn't scroll down to that part. Well even though it wouldn't work for tracking a car, it is even better for my application, since I always carry my phone and wallet together. This way I'll know when I'm leaving my wallet behind.
    My wife is always getting on my case for misplacing my wallet. Definitely gonna order one now.

15. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Check out the link below, I have the Viper 5704 security system with SmartStart GPS add on and I can tell where my car is at any time using an iPhone or Android phone in conjunction with their smart start app. (As well as lock/unlock/remote start the car from anywhere).

Viper - SmartStart GPS

16. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks! I was laughing my @$$ off when I saw that clip. As I understand it that device is blue tooth but it beeps if you get too far. It also tracks on a map somehow. You'll have to contact the manufacturer. It seems from the video you can track a thief from afar.

17. PriUsr

PriUsr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five