1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android Auto 2020 - Huh?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Ovals49, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Ovals49

Ovals49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Android Auto, supposedly, is now included on 2020 Prius Prime. I took delivery of a new XLE yesterday and set out this morning to connect my android phone, following the instructions in the included “Getting Started” pamphlet, which includes instructions for both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

NO SUCCESS! It seems the “Projection” menu in the vehicle only shows Apple CarPlay and not Android Auto, which is clearly shown in the photo in the Getting Started pamphlet!

Is there a dealer installed update to the system that adds Android? With COVID precautions and a home delivery of the vehicle, I am wondering if the dealer prepped the vehicle at all. The delivery checklist was completely blank and the tires were still at transport pressure (40+psi).

So, was I duped about Android Auto being included, or do I just need an update that the selling dealer should have installed before delivery?

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I personally can’t confirm either way, since my Prius Prime is a 2017, but my understanding is that the 2020 Prime supports Apple CarPlay, but not Android Auto. My guess would be that Apple paid Toyota to add the feature but Google didn’t.

3. bongoman

bongoman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    On the 2020 can confirm CarPlay works, out of the dealership it may need an OTA update first after connecting phone with the Toyota App (this can also be done on Android). As far as Android Auto am regularly keeping an eye for service bulletins, on the off chance they release an update for 2020 models. But nothing yet.

4. Ovals49

Ovals49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Today’s official robo message to my comment/request on the subject:

“Thank you for taking time to contact Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. and we appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding the inclusion of Android Auto® in our vehicles.

While Toyota strives to innovate and look for ways to include new technology in our vehicles, Toyota has not announced an Android Auto® retrofit strategy at this time. We certainly appreciate your inquiry and interest.“

At least they are calling it a “retrofit strategy”. Perhaps it will happen some day.