1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android Auto Project

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jonathanrn, Jul 28, 2017.

1. jonathanrn

jonathanrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,
    I'm waiting for my new head unit to arrive. I have a JBL, non-nav stereo in my 2011 Prius II and I've wanted to get an Android Auto capable head unit for a while now. I'm using Android auto on my phone now with a phone mount stuck in the CD hole (which works fairly well.. but not what I want ultimately).

Kenwood DDX9703S w/mounting hardware and the extra stuff so I can keep using the steering wheel controls.
    A backup camera
    A forward facing camera ... just because :)
    Parking break bypass ... thing
    A HDMI & USB mount to replace one of the cigarette lighters

It should all be here by Tuesday and I have Wednesday and Thursday to install it all. I'll post some pictures and videos of the install if you all are interested. I'm excited!!

#1 jonathanrn, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    fopoku2k2 likes this.
  2. bofhforever

bofhforever New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can you share what part you used for the HDMI&USB mount in the cigarette lighter. I'm looking at adding an android auto unit to my 2011 prius and am unsure what to buy for the USB port to not have a cable hanging out of the dash randomly.

3. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice - curious to hear your results.

I did essentially the same with my 2010 Prius IV with the same non-nav JBL audio system. I used the following for my install:
    Pioneer 4100NEX head unit
    iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW Steering Wheel Control Adapter
    Scosche TA2105B Dash Kit
    Axxess TYTO-01 Wiring Interface
    Microbypass Parking brake bypass (probably same as the one you got):

I didn't do the backup camera or use the HDMI input. The only complaint i have about the hardware above is that the microbypass doesn't circumvent the "max # of taps" in the Android Auto interface.

Someday I may upgrade the speakers (dash and front doors) - I still find the audio quality a bit lacking sometimes. I also considered bypassing the JBL amp and driving the speakers directly from the HU, but I didn't want to dive that deeply into the system when I installed it last year.

4. Mehdi D.

Mehdi D. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi !!!

Jonathan, any news since then ?
    I'm really curious to how it would fit my Prius 3 2009 (French model) !

Thanks,
    Mehdi

5. Epyoch

Epyoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep me updated would love to see how it all works