1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Android Auto will be onboard 2020 Toyota Camry models

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's more learned about the upgrade itself as time goes on. Since the software switched from phone to car centric, some of the interface has changed. So, the big question is how the HUD interacts with it.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure it doesn’t. It’s a separate app.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Navigation instruction provided via the heads-up-display would then appear to be a rather major oversight. Those not understanding why Toyota didn't switch years ago now have an additional complication to consider. Loss of a feature, especially one that useful, isn't a good thing. We all know Toyota waits to do it right, rather than rushing to market like some other automakers.

It's like any other type of upgrade. There are tradeoffs. Short-term gain can result in a long-term setback or an additional cost later.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's not forget how new large data plans are to most people. Being restricted to just a small amount or not even having data, was the norm prior to the last few years. In terms of vehicle ownership, that's extremely recent. So, there wasn't really as big of a market as those sounding off about falling behind actually made it out to be. People simply weren't in the mindset of bridging to their phone yet, which meant the benefits of doing so were still an unknown to them.

Experience with Bluetooth should make that clear. Notice how many here complain about Toyota's software only to find out their phone is extremely old? Knowing that, it makes no sense rolling out any faster. You end up paying for it from having to deal with fallout from that older tech. My own experience is finding people at home having issues because they are still using a very old router. So even though their modem is providing great speed, the signal over Wi-Fi is severely impaired, resulting in a terrible user experience.

As a software engineer for over 25 years, I'm well aware of how painfully long adoption of applications truly takes. You may get the user to upgrade, but that in no way means they will actually use the new features you provided. In fact, more often than not, they won't. Toyota is obviously also aware of that problem. Most customers embrace change very, very, very slowly.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got the plus model with is the 20 version LE equivalent. I had about 30 seconds view of the MID in the 20 LE while leaning through the passenger door window and trying to find the battery charge level screen. I failed to find it being so rushed.
    Ii sank in quickly though how much different the MID programming is from my 2017 plus models MID.
    I wouldn't venture into how Toyota's version of Android Auto will differ from Googles official version, although now that it's being talked about here at PC I think we all should realize that Android Auto will most likely have manufactures customization much like the phone version of Android has from the different cell manufactures.

That should lead to a hoard of new U-tuber un-boxing videos with personal takes on the new interface customization from each auto manufacture along with it's strong points and what each reviewer considers it's weak spots. Some perhaps even from Android Auto coders or Google insiders (for lack of a kewl Acronym that better describes what a google insider actually is). <- attempt at humor ....
    So it shouldn't be to long before we have many opinions concerning how well/poorly toyotas fairing in the Android Auto space compared to other manufactures as well as what is expected to come out with the newer updated versions as they are released.

I just watched a U-tube yesterday on howto update the nav app on the prime.

I also think it will be interesting to some whether or not Toyota has/will have soon, over air updates to Android Auto.

To some Android Auto will probably be considered a mid gen refresh. Others not so much.
    We shall see soon enough I think.

#6 vvillovv, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  7. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a 2015 Sonata. We got android auto a couple months after I bought the car. It wasn't over the air though. It was a download from their website that went onto a usb stick and done at home, without dealer visit. So OTA isn't the only way.

8. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Android auto is amazing. I use it on my phone which is mounted next to the useless 11 inch screen. It's all about having choices. To me android auto is so easy and so useful, with info about cops, and voice commands that actually work, that it doesn't bother me to not use the hud for navigation. Obviously it'd be cool to have both, but I've had auto since 2015 and I can't go back to the uselessness of an oem system. It helps to have a real unlimited plan, but you don't have to pay for map updates.

bisco likes this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You see what makes Android-Auto better, but misrepresent the built-in screen to promote it. How is that actually constructive? The preferred means of conveying that better message is to point out why it was worth waiting for. What improvements does the interface switch from phone-centric to car-centric bring to make it a compelling choice to say goodbye to the existing interface? This is very important when it comes to upgrades, since some existing features people like will change. You want to make the tradeoff so appealing, the user welcomes it.

Fundamental shortcomings in the way people promote change is a very real problem faced in the automotive market. Look at how disastrous Volt was. The way GM handled that technology upgrade basically doomed it from the start. They had no clue how to draw interest. That "230 MPG" campaign collapsed almost immediately. The "40 mile range" campaign fell apart when real-world data was finally revealed. The "1000 mile tank" campaign lacked any type of cohesive message. And of course, the campaign to claim superiority to Prius depended upon outdated information.

See what was in common with each of those failed campaigns? None of them stated provided a clear ultimate goal. What exactly is the overlying purpose of that technology? Without understanding that big-picture intent, it just becomes a boondoggle to the consumer. Don't forget how powerful that "good enough" attitude can work against you. Why would they bother when it appears the existing system is working just fine?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #11 hill, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Want to try contributing something constructive, rather than just bumping your post count? Tell us what your actually meant by that.

13. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many customers are loyal to their particular favorite device. Why not make a car compatible with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and even the manufactures choice of system. Then upon delivery the customer can configure the car to communicate how they prefer. Some manufacturers currently do this to allow the customer to choose their method of communication to give them the greatest satisfaction.
    The choice is even dynamic in that it is easily compatible and can change depending on the individual driving. The Wife might use an Android phone the Kid an Apple product and the Dad might not even have a phone so he just uses voice recognition technology in the car. Each driver regardless of their device or preference then has the ability to have a satisfying experience as they use the vehicle to meet their needs.

(Edited to correct spelling mistakes)

#13 John321, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Remember how Android for phone evolved into a Android for tablet? The not-ready-yet version worked, but was clumsy with the new interface. The same thing is happening now with for auto.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    happy to. if you ever said one negative thing about toyota, your analysis and opinions would have more value. great company, but not perfect.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't want to play your excuse game. At well over 300 posts per week, I've better things to do than to contribute to that. Goodbye.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    we had Android's Honeycomb on our 1st tab. What a steaming turd that was. Thank goodness for the dev's that wrote CyanogenMod some 10yrs ago. That made tolorable, what was formerly not.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    goodbye, and good luck (y)

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model: