1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android/Google navigation

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by psoque, Jan 29, 2022.

1. psoque

psoque Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi. I recently noticed that the navigation data on my 2017 Prius Prime is starting to be very outdated in some new subdivisions. I see that Google Maps is a lot more up to date, which is understandable. I know that this (2017) Prius Prime cannot do Android Auto, but I am just wondering if I can "broadcast" Google Maps navigation on my phone onto the car somehow. Thanks.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you only want navigation have you considered a Garmin Nuvi with Lifetime Maps?
    You can get one for the cost of a single navigation update from Toyota. They are not dependent on cellular coverage and are updated twice a year. I think the turn instructions are far better than with the Toyota navigation. Just my 2 cents.

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  3. psoque

psoque Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for that reply. I do have that also, but I was trying to prevent clutter on the dash. Also, I have noticed that Garmin updates are not as frequent as updates on Google Maps. Some brand-new subdivisions around here are still not encoded in the recent Garmin updates.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    There are Apple to Android converters out there, but they're pricey and lots of work to install IMHO.
    I use a 6" Garmin, when I'm traveling - it's stored in my arm rest 90% of the time. As stated earlier, it doesn't rely on a cell signal - which I loose anyways in the mountains, when I'm camping.
    You may just want to get a phone hanger and long power cord, plug into the rear USB ports for 2A power.

5. psoque

psoque Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks. Yes, I have a Garmin device that I often use in situations like this. I was just hoping that I did not have to resort to it, especially when my phone is already connected to the Prius Prime unit. But I guess that's what I have to do. Sigh.

6. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    For Nav, I always use Gmap on phone.
    You can download the map into the phone to use it offline in the area the cell signal is not available.

7. psoque

psoque Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there any way I can broadcast the Google Map on the Prius Prime screen/speakers? Actually that WAS the original question, if people are wondering.

8. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you say 'speakers' above, do you mean you want the Google Map instructions to play through the car speakers while navigating? If so, for Apple at least, if the phone is paired to Bluetooth and car audio is ON and set to play the phone's audio, then the nav instructions play on the car speakers. I would think this would work on Android also.

Danno5060 likes this.
  9. Froglegs

Froglegs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have Apple Carplay, the answer is definitely YES

How to Add Android Auto to Prime LTD | PriusChat

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP has 2017 PP Advanced. No CarPlay or AA integration. As commented, the audio may be placed through the car audio via BlueTooth, but no screen mirror without using some third-party adaptors. I have not experimented with any of them, so I don't know but I have seen and read about them in other threads.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, from the info under @psoque's avatar, he does not have either Android Auto or Car Play, just as my 2017 has neither. So, the answer to the original question is "no."

We have a building boom here, so there are tons of places not on the Toyota maps and they want stupid money for updates that are outdated before you can get them.

I use the in-car for routine monitoring of what street is next when driving around town. I have my phone on the dash, so it's easy to turn on Google or Apple Maps if I really need help. And on long trips, I use my 7" Garmin. I prefer having the maps up on the dash so I don't have to look so far away from the road to read the navigation info.

12. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As one responder stated, there is no problem playing the google maps audio navigation instructions over the car speaker. It has nothing to do with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Just pair the phone with the car Bluetooth, select the Bluetooth Audio source in the audio source menu on the car, and make sure that the audio is not muted in Google Maps. I do this all the time on my 2017 Prime. As mentioned, this is for the audio instructions only; the map and app controls are still on the phone. This is all the same as running your favorite music app on your phone and playing the sound over the car speakers, while controlling the app on the phone.

FuelMiser likes this.