1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android head unit for 2014 model 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kc5dlo, Jun 16, 2015.

1. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Exploring the idea of replacing the head unit on my 2014 model 3 with an Android unit. All the adds I am seeing say for 2009 to 2013 model years. The plastic panel outside of the factory unit is a silver or light gray. Is that why they say the units only fit 2009 thru 2013 models? Any suggestions? Anyone install an Android unit in a 2014?

Thanks,
    Steve R
    Grapevine Tx

2. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I found this unit that looks like a fit:
    I will have to post a link in a later post as I have not yet met the requirements of the forum.
    It says it is available in Black and Silver. My OEM unit is silver and that might be the reason most head units don't include the 2014 model year in their description. I like the fact it says it is quad core. I am confused however at the Resolution. One place it says 1080P and another place it says 800x480?

Is there anything I am missing? Options listed that I should consider or option that are not listed that I should hold out for?
    If the unit I need to buy only has a black face plate available, that would not be an issue with me.

3. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just make sure to contact the seller with a right harness otherwise it's nonfunctional system

kc5dlo likes this.
  4. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I think I will try and pull out the OEM unit this weekend to get familiar with what I will be working with and also take a few pics of the stock wiring I have. Thank you for the tip!

Link:

1024*600 Quad Core Android 4.4.4 Fit TOYOTA PRIUS left 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Car DVD Player GPS 3G TV Radio-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

After looking more at the one in the link, I think I should rule it out as does not appear to be plug and play.

I changed my search term and came up with another one that I am most certain will work.

2 Din Android Car Radio Steering Wheel for Toyota Prius Car Styling GPS Navigation FM Transmitter Bluetooth Subwoofer Speakers-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

However, It aint gonna happen till it goes on sale or gets a lot cheaper.

ncases likes this.
  5. gilby_jr

gilby_jr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2014 3rd Gen with a Solar roof & native back-up camera. I'm not sure what package I have, but I think it's 3 or 4. I don't THINK that I have JBL speakers. I'm looking for an Android head unit, but keep running into brick walls. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.