1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android HU

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by DutchHybrid, Sep 15, 2017.

1. DutchHybrid

DutchHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi all,
    I'm in the Netherlands and own a 2013 Prius+ (Also known as Prius v) with a JBL Head unit. I'm satisfied with the sound output but not with the navigation and the (lack of) apps and internet connection. Thinking of replacing the oem HU with an Chinese android. Requirements: sat nav, Dab+ and internet connection via smartphone or Wi-Fi while maintaining steeringwheel controls and ideally all the functions of the oem HU.
    Any thought and or experience with a specific Chinese android HU?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have Chinese installed on my Sienna Van. The unit came with all bells and whistles but performed very poorly. The biggest issues I see with Chinese units are lack of temperature and field hardened testing of units. Functional testing is not present on these units so YMMV using some apps. I am sure they are getting there but not there yet.

I would look for Quad core CPU with minimum of 2GB RAM for multi function. Screen resolution should be leat 1080x600 or better.

The sound processing chips are not that great in Chinese units. MSP/DSP sound processors are missing in most of these units.

Some odd behavior you may observe is this units may show camera image in Portrait mode due to screen alignment. So front camera may show landscape image and back may show portrait.

One additional issue may be Chinese units may be using non-google play store when connected to internet. It's big security hole as you may end up with non-certified apps via Chinese version of play store.

DutchHybrid likes this.
  3. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi... I'm using a Blaupunkt Cape Town 940. It's just Dual Core, 2GB of RAM but it has very good sound, very good bluetooth sound for phone calls (by Parrot). It is very easy to root, erase the bloatware and sideload the Google Play software Only thing you have to take into account is if you decide to use the factory reverse camera. While it outputs composite video, it needs 6 volts instead of the 12 provided by the headunit. So I bought a 12-6 volt converter from Amazon and am quite happy with the results.

DutchHybrid likes this.
  4. DutchHybrid

DutchHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Kind of an old post of mine but still looking for an Android HU with sat nav, Dab+ and internet connection via smartphone. Anyone??

5. hansaplast26

hansaplast26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Hi DutchHybrid.
    Here another Dutch forum member. Soon I am buying a Prius+ (v) from a friend. The nav system display is not working well, until it warms up a bit. Don't think its the display itself (as the upper part of the display is working). I am looking for a replacement unit or an android option like you. but the reverse camera got to work. Any help is appreciated.

DutchHybrid likes this.