1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android Pure 4.2 Radio Non-JBL USA install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chickenhawk, Jun 28, 2014.

1. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Can you post the video here? Is it just dissconnect plug or unsolder connection?

2. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Did you change out the fan too? I tried watching youtube on youtube app but no audio from it playing

3. lwleaver

lwleaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For anyone that installed the backup camera, would you be willing to field a few questions on the install? I don't want to thread jack and get in the way of the question at hand. Thank you for all of the input on this. I threw this in over the weekend and the info in here made it a lot easier.

4. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Pretty simple for camera like any radio.. You run video from camera to camera in and reverse wire from radio to camera. Power wire from camera to reverse light

5. Prius2012fl

Prius2012fl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nah I didn't remove the fan. I'm not sure the impact as it pertains to the hands free. Which video did you look at?

6. Prius2012fl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also if you are using a HU like this, I'm not sure I'd find a lot of value for a backup cam. By the time this HU boots up, I'm already reversed.

7. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I was asking about the video the seller sent you...wife just said radio crashed.. Will take look to see

8. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Actually the cam comes on before unit boots when in reverse

9. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just make sure reverse wire from hu is hooked up

10. Prius2012fl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know, so I assume once the backup camera is done going in reserve then it switches over to the HU booting in progress?

11. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes. When u finish in rev then unit continues to boot into menu..i just havent found a bitching camera that works clear at night with min street light.. Looks grainy.. Will see if i can fig how to do screenshots within the unit otherwise kinda hard to tell from phone cam shot or vid...

12. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  13. Prius2012fl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This guy has a good idea where to place the external mic

I'm going to try that tomorrow.

14. leo415

leo415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey Prius2012fl, I'm interested in how you disabled the internal mic. Could you share that video? Also what external mic are you using?

For the fan, i swapped to a 40mm scythe SY124010L. It won't fit inside the case so I had to dremel some holes and mount outside. Noise is a lot more tolerable.

15. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    [​IMG]

I have my external mic put thru hole i drilled in the blank for switch located below start switch and right of steering wheel

16. lwleaver

lwleaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback.
    After looking at everything the hookup seems pretty straight forward. I had a WinCE in my Corolla and it should hook up pretty much the same. Looking at the actual install of it, this where I get a little twitchy. It seems I am going to have to remove most of the hatch trim to get access to the license plate lights to do the physical camera install and then route the wires to the reverse light. I have watched a few videos and they make it look really easy. Did you run into any issues getting the plastic off the inside hatch area to get access to mount the camera? Did you have to remove any of the carpeting around the rear light access panel to get enough room to splice the wires in, or is there enough slack in the reverse light to pull it out and make the connections? I know this will take a while and want to be as prepared as possible going in.

17. Prius2012fl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I uploaded the video for the mic removable at Prius_HU_Mic.mp4 - Google Drive

Also, if you want to get into the factory settings go to "settings" "factory settings " then try the password: 126. There are a handful things you can adjust such as the start up logo, radio, audio settings, etc.

18. Prius2012fl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Also what external mic are you using?"

Good question, I'm not sure as there are no details on the mic. When I complained about the mic issue, the vendor sent me one from China. I believe once I find a good location for the mic then that will be resolved.

I do want to fix the fan issue, it is too bad the fan is louder than the Prius. I noticed you grabbed a 40mm scythe SY124010L. If you had to do it over again, would you have gotten a smaller fan to fit? If so, what would you have recommended?

19. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Im pissed cause the seller didnt send anything..no replacement board or external mic.. The ext mic i have is from older radio

20. Prius2012fl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be too, this is clearly a defect on this unit. My seller said they were aware of others reporting issues so I believe they were just prepared to send these out. Otherwise, new ones of Amazon are around $20.