1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Android with AC control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Drew442, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Drew442

Drew442 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Morning All,

Currently my MFD has the no back light issue and I'm using that issue as an excuse to replace the factory MFD with something more modern.

I'm trying to find some info on Chinese Android head units and growing tired of messaging AliExpress sellers regarding the AC control and JBL amp control options.

I'm happy to bypass the JBL amp if need be (can rewire and use passive crossovers for the tweeters) but AC control is important to keep.

Given the factory MFD is unusable I'd like to use an MFD replacement option, not the lower radio/cubbyhole replacement.

Does anyone have some 2024 knowledge on my options to keep AC control? Is there a reasonable workaround for no AC control in the display that I don't know about yet?

Appreciation and thanks in advance,

--Drew

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I use these guys to determine what I'll need to make a compatible, fully functional swap-out. They usually have control module emulators to get your steering wheel controls working again. I'm sure you have similar stereo companies in Sidney that specializes in this; but it'll probably cost you.

https://www.crutchfield.com/

Good Luck...

3. Aloe

Aloe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're going to use the MFD, you're ultimately going to have the backlight working. I have seen a module that interfaces to it, but ultimately the MFD still has to be in working order.

The easier way is to replace the factory stereo, you can still use the steering wheel and the AC control will still work. And yeah, you're still going to have to fix that backlight. The stereo will be far better than using the MFD with module. Specify that you have JBL so they will send you cables to match.

Also to note, you can control the AC with the steering wheel controls either way (I don't think you can control blower level), even with a dead MFD display (just the display, I don't know what happens if the MFD is completely dead). You can buy just the LCD screen itself to fix your MFD.