1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Angry Ford dealer in SC calls imports "rice ready...not road ready"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Presto, Dec 11, 2008.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Having read the first and last pages of this thread, I am somewhat intrigued how it got from Malorn ranting to wine. :) Not intrigued enough to read all 20 pages though :D

Rob

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's easy. Any thread on PC eventually turns to drinking or sex. It's as simple as that.

Tom

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "or" ?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a scientific calculator from Tandy Electronics (Radio Shack) way back in my early teens, I remember getting similar reactions too. The big advantage was no one borrowed your calculator twice. Other than that I saw no advantage at all. Remember I am a high school drop-out.

5. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Note to Ford CEO: "Make your cars rice-ready."

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good point. I should have said "and/or" or just "and".

Tom

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmmm?

Who did what??

Did I miss something?

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Contrary to popular belief, a college degree is no guarantee the person has the same common sense as an empty beer bottle

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, you should have. You will notice that "or" only served to confuse me

10. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, lets do this right:

1.) My 2001 Dodge Ram was built in Mexico, 60% North American content. (According to sticker) My 2006 Honda Odyssey was built in Alabama, 80% N.A. content (sticker). The common response is "Your money went to Japan" and my response is "So, my money went to Germany, either way it left the country"

2.) They cry over labor costs! During a "Town Hall" meeting, the average Toyota (or was it Honda) costs $1500 labor. Domestics costs $1700, or $200 per car more. My plant ran GREAT, run by the floor and the plant manager PUSHED for that. The new manager says "Its MY plant, I will run it" (Sor far...into the ground, our plant is falling apart!)

3.) There you go! Because of THIS, "BUY AMERICAN" has become NOTHING MORE than a SALES SLOGAN! Name a major product thats AMERICAN! If it has circut boards, its NOT.

4.) Its the workers fault! They made the bad decisions...Pass the buck whenever you can! EVERYTHING Toyota & Honda does that makes them MORE EFFICIENT than us was brought to the domestic automakers, SHOT DOWN, THEN taken to Japan! The Japanese (sp?) embraced the idea, THEN REFIGNED (sp?) IT!

5.) I am employeed (for how much longer?) by a domestic automaker. My wife drives a Honda, I drive a Toyota to that plant every day! Feel free to email me if you want to know which, or why I won't by a domestic automobile again. Please don't be offended if I Dodge the answer, or Jeep changing the subject if you ask which automaker. ;) I really shouldn't bite the hand that feeds my family...They'd rather I lie.

Since I replied to his rant...I must I bought a Ram, and was put down because I had problems and was bringing it in every 3 WEEKS for the first YEAR of ownership! I went to another maker and bought a Venture, and was told by GM that even though 3 of the windows leak the mold, mildue, and rust will not affect the resale value! The lemon replacement was falling apart after 50k miles! (Actually so was the Ram.) Yes, I tried to lemon the Ram, lost due to a lie that I didn't know was a lie.

I bought a:
    96 Neon,
    97 Breeze,
    Leased a 98 Dakota,
    bought a 01 Ram (Paid CASH)
    01 Venture
    Lemoned that into a 02 Venture
    Bought a 06 Odyssey
    07 Prius.

NOT one domestic made 30 DAYS before needing to go into service.
    At 21k miles, my Odyssey had lost a cover on the roof rack that hid the bolts. My Prius's front seat passanger door's controls would lower the window, but not raise it. Drivers side raised it. That was at 11k miles. That's it for the import factory defect repairs.

The neon and the Prius got backed into, doing cosmetic damage. Was repaired. The 01 Venture got HIT while I was waiting for the car ahead of me to move. After picking it up, I had to hold the steering wheel on a 30 degree angle to drive straight. They told me they never checked the alignment in a front end collision! I drove it 30 FEET before I discovered this problem. I had to wait a week before they fixed it. (I signed off before I discovered this) None of this I can blame the manufacturer for.

My Prius was hit Thanksgiving day by one of those electric carts the stores supply to handicapped customers by an employee of the store. It goes in Monday. The store paid ME by check to fix it myself. Since getting the estimate for repairs, I figured out how to cut the costs and still get it fixed at the same dealer that gave me the estimate! I will get some $ out of it...

11. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you think that if the Chevy dealer sold out CONSTANTLY while the others SAT that the numbers would stay at 5%? Even in a dictatorship (Lack of better term) country like Japan, they would change.

In the early 80's, NO Big Three automobiles were allowed on the Autoban due to safety!

Domestic quality sucks! Even today! Customer service is minimul! In a Town Hall-type meeting, a union leader mentioned all the problems I was having with my Ram, and asked if thats my fault that I got a bad vehicle and couldn't get it repaired! The dealers treat their customers like crap and corporate back them! As long as that continues, the domestics will slowly die...

12. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Blind?

Ford Probe.
    Dodge Stealth.

Wait, those are Japenese with American badges...

OK, OK, OK....A dealer can ONLY sell our brand. It don't matter if the brand is really somebody elses with our name on it...

13. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I AGREE COMPLETELY!

If it wasn't for Toyota or Honda, our cars would still be those GREAT automobiles we had back in the 70's! 35 feet ACROSS the hood! 1.2 acres to turn around. 17 Gallons per mile (downhill.) Oh! Don't forget 3.5 repairs per 1,000 miles! The best part was it kept running for 30 minutes after you took the key out burning off that extra fuel to keep it out of the ozone! (If you went into a store in the dead of winter, you came out to a warm ICE)