1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Animated demo of HSD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bill Merchant, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are several good animations of how the HSD works, some produced by PC members, but they are all schematic. Toyota now has a 3-D one at the Prius demo link on the new HSD mini-site. It shows a Prius starting up, accelerating, cruising, braking, and backing up. It requires a plug-in to view, which is available for both Win and Mac platforms and several browsers.

The demo shows how the Prius uses power. It's a good explanation, but lots of things dear to the driving habits of many PC members, such as dead-banding and pulse-and-glide, are not addressed.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a heads-up - the link referenced above seems to be crashing my Firefox browser. Works fine through IE though.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The link didn't work in Firefox for me (just sat there), but also didn't crash the browser. worked fine in IE.

I liked it, overall, but would have loved to have an illustration on the side showing what the planetary gear was doing at the same time.

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

That thing crashes the @#$# out of fire fox

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry the link crashes Firefox. It works fine in Safari after I downloaded and installed the plug-in. Before I installed the plug-in it just gave me a somewhat disorganized HTML page with a link to download the plug-in.

6. kDB

kDB New Member

I tried with Minefield 3.0a1nightly (last nights build of Firefox beta), page works, but plug-in won't auto install.

I downloaded the plug-in installer, installed fine into minefield's plug-in folder. Only problem is I can't see the left 1/3 of the plug-in, which is where all the good stuff happens.

7. MechaJohn

MechaJohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice demo! Thanks for sharing it Bill.

8. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Gee, I never realized that the 1NZ was a V-4 engine. . . :p ;) Sorry, couldn't resist. Otherwise a nice animation. I've viewed that one directly from Toyota.com. I'm still looking for one that combines the Toyota view of the car in motion with the nice details members here have created showing how the PSD actually operates. For some reason (maybe why I'm not an engineer...), I still have trouble visualizing the transition from PSD to the drive wheels.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the long-standing problem with Toyota, they always try to
    shove this frequently dysfunctional scripting garbage down your
    throat any time you get anywhere near their web site. If enough
    people would unlame and send mail to [email protected] pointing
    out "sorry, I don't enable any of that due to very valid security
    concerns", maybe they might begin to get the idea. But that first
    requires that people actually care.
    _H*

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Oct 10 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]330886[/snapback]</div>
    What specifically is your request? I'd certainly try to provide it (update to my animations)... if you can describe what you'd like to see.

Since MG2 (the big motor, depicted as the outer ring) is directly linked to the wheels, they move whenever it moves. So including that would not actually add anything.

11. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 10 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]330917[/snapback]</div>
    John:

Thanks for the help. I'm with you on this -- conceptually anyway. Where the gears clash in my head (bad pun -- sorry...) is how the rotation of the outer ring becomes the rotation of the drive shafts and wheels. Somehow, when I type the question, it sounds easy, but I still don't get that. Keep in mind that I do very well with tests dealing with abstract concepts, but perform miserably on anything related to spatial relationships, like those classic nightmarish unfolded box questions. . .