1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ANNOUNCE] Toyota Camry Factory Tour -- Jan. 15 -- MLK Holiday

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by bwilson4web, Dec 18, 2006.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi folks,

We have confirmation:

NOTE: They need names and addresses the week before the tour. Just PM me and I'll assemble the list. There will be one reminder note the week before the tour.

This is for the 2:00 PM tour so those who are close enough can start early in the morning and get there on time.

BTW, I understand they have a cut-away of the Camry hybrid in the visitor center where we can take photos.

--- Confirmation Message ---

Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc.
    Visitor Center
    1001 Cherry Blossom Way
    Georgetown, KY 40324
    800-TMM-4485 502-868-3027
    Fax: 502-868-3711
    E-mail: [email protected]

Bob Wilson,

Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc. (TMMK) looks forward to your visit. Your tour has been confirmed for Monday, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:00 pm.
    Total number in your group: 10. If you are unable to make your tour time or if the number in your group changes, please call our tour representative at 502-868-3027 or 1-800-866-4485.

TMMK maintains a safe and secure environment so please be aware of the following guidelines:

- No carry-on is permitted in the Visitor Center, including purses, backpacks, briefcases, or bags of any kind.

- A valid photo ID will be required for each adult scheduled for the tour.

- Cameras are allowed in the Visitor Center, but must be checked at the registration desk before the plant tour.

- Children with individual families must be in 1st grade or above to take the tour. School groups must be 4th grade or above.

Groups of ten or more must e-mail or fax to the Visitor Center a list of individual names one week prior to scheduled tour.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing reserves the right to reschedule any tour that, after scheduled, might interfere in some way with production.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Directions to plant: TMMK is located just off Interstate 75.

From Louisville: Interstate 64 East to Interstate 75 north, exit 126.
    Turn right at the bottom of the ramp and travel 2.5 miles to the Visitor Entrance. This entrance has a large gray granite stone, which has Toyota in large red letters and Visitor Entrance marked on the stone as well.

From Lexington: Interstate 75 north, exit 126. Same as above.

From Cincinnati: Interstate 75 south, exit 129. Turn left and travel 2.5 miles to Visitor Entrance. This entrance has a large gray granite stone, which has Toyota in large red letters and Visitor Entrance marked on the stone as well.

Please follow signs to Visitor Center Parking.
    --- End Message ---

. . .
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: [email protected]
    > [mailto:p[email protected]] On Behalf Of Robert J.
    > Wilson
    > Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 12:49 PM
    > To: [email protected]
    > Subject: [PTS] Toyota Kentucky Plant Tour - Jan. 15, Martin Luther King
    > Holiday
    >
    >
    >
    > I am planning to tour the Toyota Camry plant that assembles hybrid
    > Camrys:
    >
    > Jan. 15, 2007, 2:00 PM
    > 1001 Cherry Blossom Way
    > Georgetown, KY 40324
    > 1-800-TMM-4485
    >
    > On Monday I'll call to make sure they will be open but they will need a
    > 'head count.' I'll schedule for ten but may need to know who all is
    > coming.
    >
    > Bob Wilson
    >

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh man. I would so love to go to that. Take pictures if you can.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Count me and my friend in. We will try to make it. Sent you a PM with our info.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some more logistics:

I'll be checking in at "Knights Inn", 859-299-8481, $41.89, Sunday, Jan 14.

The plant tour is a little under 2 hours.

Other places recommended by Gayle Stockdale who lives in the area:

If you want to stay in Lexington....I would suggest any hotel at the Winchester Rd exit where 75 & 64 meet. It's an easy hop onto the interstate to 75 N to Georgetown....which is about 10 miles north. This exit is also on the back side of Hamburg Pavillion....which is a very large shopping area with MANY restaurants. I am going to send a link to entertainment and restaurants in Lexington with my recommendations for restaurants. http://topsinlex.com/

Under Fine Dining...I recommend a la lucie...it's very different and very GOOD! American....De Sha's and Annabelle's. Chinese...Asian Wind is great! Italian....Joe Bologna's downtown and Johnny Carino's in Hamburg Pavilion are both very good. Seafood....Hall's on the River can't be beat.....the queen of England visits when she comes for the horses and the drive is beautiful!! That should give you some help. And the website has much more. You can always call me when you get here if you need any more info or help. . . .

Here are some hotels in Lexington at the Winchester Rd exit 110 ....Best Western 2241 Elkhorn Rd 859-293-2202.....Country Inn & Suites 1-800-456-4000 or 859-299-8844 or www.countryinns.com .....Super 8 Motel..859-299-6241.......Baymont Inn & Suites...
    new and pretty nice ( I think) 859-293-6113......Holiday Inn Express...859-293-0047 and Knight's Inn 859-299-8481. Hope this info helps you out and I hope you have a wonderful visit to the Bluegrass.

Gayle Stockdale
    THANKS Gayle!

In ascending price order:

Knights Inn, 859-299-8481 - $42
    Super 8, 859-299-6241 - $43

Baymont Inn & Suites, 859-293-6113 - $55
    Best Western, 859-293-2202 - $58

Country Inn Suites, 859-299-8844 - $85

If my wife joins me, I may move 'up scale' but right now, I'm expecting to be solo.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Last call. I'm sending this list of names and addresses at 12:00 noon, CST:

Robert J. Wilson
    Josh Homan
    Jay Groh
    Richard Hensley
    Rick Prairie
    Doug Schaefer
    Amy Curtis
    Robert Curtis

The tour is Monday, January 15, 2:00 PM (see earlier posts for details.) If you still want to get in, send me your name and address, soon.

Bob Wilson

6. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jan 10 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]373531[/snapback]</div>
    well I'm going. :D :-P Somone accidently left my name off the list (its ok, I'm a figment of most of your imaginations!)

I see a Schaefer on there and am wondering if this is Tony's (tonypschaefer, the mod) alter ego??

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are we going to meet somewhere before or after the tour for lunch? I was going to plan a stop in Georgetown to get something to eat before the tour.

Also is everyone planning to bring their Prius? :D I'm thinking about driving a Hummer. ;)

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jan 10 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]373888[/snapback]</div>

I joked with Matt (also not on that list, but coming) that we should just take his ford ranger-- which he actually has a need for, so its the only "gas guzzling" vehicle I'm accepting of. :p

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No, Parrot Lady, tis I Doug Schaefer. Tony is from some other branch of the family.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Final list:

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:42 PM

Amy Bergman
    Amy Curtis
    Robert Curtis
    Jay Groh
    Josh Homan
    Matthew Homan
    Richard Hensley
    Rick Prairie
    Dan Stahl
    Doug Schaefer
    Robert J. Wilson

-----Original Message-----
    From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 7:56 AM
    To: Wilson, Robert J. (MSFC-NNM04AA02C)[SAIC]
    Subject: Tour 1/15/07 @ 2pm

Please attach a list of those coming on this tour to this email and reply.
    Thank you, Kathy

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi folks,

I would like to get together on Monday for lunch and technical exchange but I'm staying at the Knight's Inn. They have a 'breakfast' area but no lunch. However, there is a nearby mall and no doubt, the usual eateries.

If someone would like to propose a meeting place for lunch, I'll be all for it. Otherwise, I plan to be there Sunday and will post a meet-up place for Monday, 11:00 AM (if we don't have a place nominated before then.) We'll be looking for is a place with a table for 8-10 in a corner and hopefully a nice buffet. If the weather is OK, we'll go out and take a peek at the cars.

The tour is 2:00 PM so I'd like to assemble at the visitor's center by 1:45 PM. Once the tour is over, we'll chat, maybe do a group photo and then head home. I've got a five hour drive so I'll be home around 10:00 PM and Tuesday is a workday.

Bob Wilson

ps. The weather forecast: rain 90% Sat in 50s; rain 80% Sun in 50s; rain 50% Monday going to freezing.

12. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

http://ky.allpages.com/georgetown/food-din...aurants-1-of-4/

I do not know what time I'll actually be getting there, so....I'm not picking anything.

You also might be better off with a panera type place (order and pay for your food individually-- its what the chicago prius group did last year) as when you get 10+ people in a group restraurants usually charge a gratituity for large groups.

13. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Amy don't forget to bring back official Toyota souvenirs.

Wayne

14. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I wont be entering Georgetown until about 1:00. I was planning on getting a quick bite to eat at a Burger King or something like it.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Richard cant go. <_< But my dad say he would go. :D

James Groh

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    LUNCH

11:00 AM -> 1:30 PM, Monday 15, 2005

Emperer China Buffet
    1521 Paris Pkie, Suite K
    Georgetown, KY 40324

I'll be there at 11:00 AM and grab as much table as possible. Look for a fat, bald headed guy with a computer by the window. We'll head to Gate 2 at 1:30 PM.

Bob Wilson

17. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dont know if I will meet you there because I dont know if my dad will want to eat cat. If we have time after we eat I will be there otherwise I will meet everyone at the plant. :D My estimated time of arrival in Georgetown is around 1:00.

18. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Josh can't make it. *frowny face* Matt and I are still coming-- we're headed out the door.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some photos of the Camry hybrid cut-away model, engines and a stack of J.D. Power's awards:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plant photographer took a group shot and once I get it, I'll post it too. We had a 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007 Prius show up but a rainy day, we didn't have much time to 'get into' our vehicles. But the factory tour was awesome!

They start with rolls of steel, a steady stream of parts and 20 hours later, out pops a Camry, Solara or Avelon, rolling out one every 55 seconds. About 70% of the parts come from the US, Mexico and Canada and the rest from Japan. Safety, quality and the most amazing choreography of man and machine imaginable. The plant tour was well worth it.

Lesson's learned:

(1) Scheduling with holiday - works.
    (2) Ask for "Georgetown fliers" - the visitor center staff have a collection of housing, maps and other data about the area.
    (3) Lunch buffet - didn't quite work. Instead, meet at the visitor center an hour early and visit with everyone.

Thanks to everyone who joined the tour!

Bob Wilson

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats was a fun tour. It was nice to meet everyone and put faces with the names. I hope we can all get together again sometime when its not raining and have more time to talk tech. :D

My drive was pretty good but this might be my worst tank yet when I finish it because of the non stop rain. :angry:

Total round trip time 5hours 50min.
    Round trip distance 298 Miles.
    Average speed 51mph
    ICE on time %82
    Can-view Average MPG 50
    Prius Averave MPG 51.9

Here is some pictures I took plus some videos of the Camry display.

http://stuff.jaygroh.com/priuschat/tour070115/

Here is a pic of the souvenirs I got. The glasses were free but the Camry cost me $5.
    [​IMG]