1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying and possibly fraudulent phone solicitations for extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JimboK, Aug 24, 2008.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I simply talk with them and listen to their spiel. I carry it on as long as possible and then I ask for a copy of the contract ...

Suddenly, "we can't send you a contract without filling it in ..."

"I'm sorry but I have to look at a written contract. Can you send me one?"

"..."

"I really need a contract. We've had so many folks calling and asking for money but without a contact, I can't tell if it is something we could use."

"..."

"Really, I have to insist on a written contract. Send it to me and once I look it over ..."

"..."

Eventually, they realize this is not only a 'no sale' but there will never be a sale. They have just lost "xxx" minutes (someday I'll figure out to stretch it out to an hour.) That is another period of time lost to eternity.

My goal is to be on their "don't call this assh*le list."

Bob Wilson

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We got a group of these calls at the office through our pbx system. Sometimes it is fun to play with them. Does your warranty cover the boiler?

3. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, that is good news as I got my first call a few weeks ago:eek: I didn't bother to dial 1 to talk to them but should have to get their name and number.

I just hope that those who fell for this scam will be compensated?

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting news item on this:

Read more.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    use google voice free number for life and it rings your cell and home, also you can go online and check a box, it will say the number is not in service, just for that number been using it for 3 years now.

1 person likes this.
  6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It included this line that made me smile!
    Again, the thing that this keeps coming back to is that someone, somewhere was feeding them detailed information about what cars people bought and when. There IS more to this story.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! The hypnotic eye is back! Thanks Sandy!

Except I have kind of feel like . . . somebody's watching me . . . :behindsofa:

1 person likes this.
  8. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I still don't think so -- my girlfriend got called and she doesn't own a car. I'm 99% certain they simply spammed every phone number in the US.

9. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's what the article suggests. But though I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, it seems like too much of a coincidence that for both my and fiancee, who both have Toyotas on which the factory warranty is/was due to expire (she has a 2006 Corolla), the phone call (to me) and the letter (to her) both stated that our Toyota factory warranties soon would expire.

10. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I am ........

11. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What companies can do is purchase a list from the bureau companies and do a little research. For instance, I can call transunion and ask for a list of all people with 700 score or better, have a current toyota financial loan that is 3 years old or newer, and have credit cards that have at least 80% available credit left.

What did I just get? Most likely, a list of people that have money that I can scam (80% left on credit cards), and I am fairly sure their car is about run out of warranty because the loan is 3 years old or newer. I can also guess that it is a toyota product because of the lender.

The only sure fire way to stop this is by having your name removed of any generic searches by writing to transunion, equifax, and experian. That is what Lifelock does when they claim to stop spam mail.

It is rather humorous when I get these calls as I can get a manufacturer warranty at cost. Not a lot they can try and talk me into at that point..

12. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only reason I don't think they did it this way is that (a) buying the list costs money and (b) it creates a paper trail.

Are you sure they specifically mentioned Toyota? The calls we've gotten have all been "your car warranty is about to expire".

13. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm certain they mentioned Toyota in my calls. Now after almost a year I can't swear what my fiancee's letter said, but IIRC our conversation at the time was along the lines of, "How did they know we both had new Toyotas?"