1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ANNOYING beeping noise on R

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amaghazi, Nov 10, 2005.

1. amaghazi

amaghazi New Member

Anyone here knows how to get rid of the annoying beeping noise when the gear is on R? any fuse or wire to be cut?
    its SOOOO ANNOYING!

thanks guys

AG

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    TO TURN OFF THE REVERSE BEEP.

Steps:

1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
    2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B )
    3. Power off the car.
    4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
    5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more.
    6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector from P to R, then back to P. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
    7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed. "b on" is beep on, and "b off" is beep off.
    8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
    9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
    10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected..

I don't mind it myself as sometimes I think it's gone into reverse when it hasn't. I'm thinking of installing a reverse back up system so I'll remove it then.

1 person likes this.
  3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dude. Very nice. That took all of 30 secs.

4. Mt. Falcon

Mt. Falcon New Member

First post here. This is a great site & resource!

Will this reverse beep fix work on an '06, too?

Thanks,
    John

5. QED

QED New Member

Yep, just got rid of it on my '06! :D

6. Mt. Falcon

Mt. Falcon New Member

Thanks qed.

7. Mt. Falcon

Mt. Falcon New Member

That worked as described. WHAT a relief!

8. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    When I first got a Prius 18 months ago, I also found the beep pretty annoying.

It got to the point after a month or so that I printed the directions to disable it but never carried out the deed.

Then, it became un-annoying (is that a word?) and just another Prius quirk I lived with and almost could ignore. Sometimes I'd, "Beep Beep Beep" along with it while backing up.

Finally, there were at least two times when I'd been in reverse and THOUGHT I was in forward and the BEEP BEEP BEEP kept me from doing something embarrassing or regrettable.

Just... you know... thought I'd mention it.

9. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Thanks, Priusham. You bring up a couple of important points! One, that you can get used to the beep, and Two, that the beep can be a very important safety thing.

10. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

I turned this off on my 2005 as soon as I could figure out how. I do understand since then why they have it, but it is just too annoying. Maybe if there were volume and frequency controls, I'd put up with it.

The other thing that I changed early on was the door unlocking with the smart key. The owner's manual tells how to change this so that when you unlock and open the driver door with the smart key that all the doors unlock. That's real nice.

The last thing that I'd like to do is make the timeouts for the interior lights be a little longer before the go off when you get in. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

-Roger

11. habel

habel New Member

Where does the reverse beep originate from? Through the std. speakers - or is it through a dedicated sound device?

If so - perhaps this device could be replaced with something that gives a more pleasent sound - like a bird singing for instance...

12. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

I'm with you priusham- right now I'm in the un-annoying somewhat helpful phase.

However, volume control would be really nice - I have great hearing unlike most of the rest of the people I know!

13. busterbrown

busterbrown New Member

I have an 06 and want to disable the reverse beep and passenger seatbelt. However, the instructions below tell me to use the "gear" shift to go from P to R. I do not have that option with the 06. I was not successful in getting to the nest step when I used the P button on the dashboard. Thanks much.

14. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rogerSC @ Jan 10 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]187159[/snapback]</div>
    Roger,

This can be done by the Scan Tool at the dealer. I have had mine reset to stay on for 30 sec. which is the longest it will go. It sure makes it easier to collect your "stuff" before the light goes out!