1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

annoying cap(s) on evse ...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by lextoy, Jul 9, 2019.

1. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so the evse plug has a cap on it...
    and so does the port under the recharging door.
    i already removed the cap from the evse, useless.
    what are the thoughts on the cap under the recharging door.
    i kinda think its not completely useless since this area could get wet while driving,
    but that cap isnt very tight or waterproof.
    so is it useful at all ? or can i just remove it as well...
    has anyone come up with an adapter that would integrate the cap into the inside of the door ??
    or just glue in a piece of black foam insulation the right thickness so it seals the port.

kevin.c likes this.
  2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pretty much keeps dust out though, even if it isn't water tight.

3. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The mating J1772 connectors are designed to a detailed SAE standard which, among other things, is intended to provide a "10,000 cycle life with exposure to dust, salt and water."

You can read about the J1772 standard here: https://www.sae.org/binaries/content/assets/cm/content/standards/chargingprimer.pdf

By removing the protective storage covers, you will reduce the effective useful life of the connectors. Electrical connectors deteriorate from exposure to general environmental hazards including dust, dirt, humidity, and even insects.

Of course, on a realistic note, if you reduce the intended 10,000 cycle life of your charging connectors by half, that's still 5,000 cycles -- enough to plug and un-plug your Prime twice a day for almost seven years.

As with a tube of toothpaste, replacing the cap after use is just good practice. If you live alone, it's totally up to you. If you are married, there may be eventual unpleasant consequences.

toothpaste.jpg

#3 Old Bear, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Raytheeagle and benagi like this.
  4. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    interesting info on the J1772 standard.
    in my case i only plug/unplug once a day. so at the full useful life of 10k cycles, i have 27.4 yrs, actually more since i dont actually charge 365 days a year ;)
    that would be for the cable end and the car end,
    since the cable end is easily repaired replaced, its not an issue, thus removing that cover is not a worry for me.
    the car side however, isnt as easily swapped out.
    i would like to figure out how to continue to keep the cover on, but not have to manually remove replace every time.
    it takes two hands, and often i am carrying something, so dont have both hands free...
    its not a huge issue, but could easily be redesigned to have the cover integrated into the door.
    the dangly cover is just poor design, and dont tell me about the little holding port. terrible design, cant tell if its supposed to be horizontal or vertical in that port ! dumb

5. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    another thought since we are on the subject...
    since this connector is a potential wear item, and corrosion /dust /moisture are all going to increase wear,
    is anyone an electrician / electrical engineer that could recommend something to protect/lubricate the connection?
    dielectric grease ?
    CRC QD contact cleaner ?
    i know what these are , what they do, but havent ever considered applying to the evse until just now...

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I gather the theory is that it is the waterproof part, and it does indeed seem to me to be waterproof.

#6 mr88cet, Jul 10, 2019
  7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I plug in more like three times per day, so mine will presumably eventually need to be replaced after 9ish years, depending on how long the battery survives.

I’ve been assuming the battery will gradually degrade over time too, since it’s not liquid-cooled, and since I cycle it a lot.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Paging @jerrymildred ... :D
    I understand he "pretends" to be an electrician at times. ;)

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    1st world problems....

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use a small amount of dielectric grease and it seems to help with the tight fit of my Duosaida L2 EVSE. It's still tighter than I'd like, but better. Actually, with regular use, it's not likely to corrode since the friction will tend to clean it, but I'm a little concerned about the physical stress are the car's connector with having to pull to hard to disconnect. Hence the grease. I'd previously tried a small shot of lithium grease, but the Permatex dielectric I'm now using seems to last longer. Just don't over apply it and get a build up.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree, it's a poor design. The cover should be built into the door and no dangly bits. (I can't believe I said that. <g>) And it's vertical!

I use both covers, it's humid here and then there's the pollen and dirt, it's very hard on electrical connections.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that the cap on the EVSE is useless. Mine fell off some times ago and lost it. Have not replaced it. Just curious. Are J1772 connectors on public charge station have cover on them? I would think they get more exposure to outside elements than the ones used at home.

The cap on the port, on the other hand, I have been using it. I have read some comments by others who forced the charge port door closed with the cap in the holder position resulting in door jamming. It's either to place onto the holder or let it dangle, but dangling maybe safer??? Japanese version of PRIME has CHAdeMO port in the place of the holder, so I guess they have to let it dangle.

13. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unless you never, ever charge the car outdoors when its raining or snowing, its better that the port is not sealed so that it can drain. The only thing worse than water getting in the port area is it staying there.

While the cap may not be waterproof, water isn't the only thing that get in the plug area (see dust, debris or bugs).

That being said, its like any car modification, if you want to do it and feel the risk is acceptable, go for it. No one can tell you yet whether its going to cause problems in the long-term because the Prime simply hasn't been around long enough to know.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm on my third PHEV and none of them came with or used these rubber plugs; no issues. FWIW

#14 fotomoto, Jul 10, 2019
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, you replaced the whole plugin?? o_O

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LOL, umm, I meant a PHEV aka plug-in vehicle. I'll edit that.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I figured you were so frustrated with the failure you replaced the whole vehicle. :ROFLMAO::LOL::rolleyes::oops:

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the pip, the cap is built into the door, so you don't have redundancy. i wonder why they changed it?

no problems reported in almost 8 years that i recall reading about.

CharlesH and jerrymildred like this.
  19. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think grease would mostly just attract dirt and dust. If the contacts are made of an appropriate metal and kept clean and dry, you shouldn't need to add anything.

I recently found a moth making a cocoon under the rubber cap of my EVSE cord.

mr88cet likes this.
  20. Digloo2

Digloo2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I put up a big electrical box on the wall and found a thing to screw in the side that's shrouded and lets me dock the EVSE plug in it when I'm not charging. It's just plastic, and it acts like a big hood, so I don't worry about stuff getting up there. I did find a spider there once. meh.