1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying Commercials

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, May 4, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What I would like in my high tech Prius Prime Advanced car is a way to filter out these repetitive commercials that you hear especially on am radio. You would think that they could come up with a way to mark a short bit of advertising, store it, and if it appears on your radio again, it's muted for 30-60 seconds. Now how cool would that be!!. There could be a slight delay in the audio portion of your broadcast, so you would never hear those horribly annoying jingles. I know the advertising lobby would be up at arms; the engineer(s) would have to have a 24hr guard!

stevepea likes this.
  2. jburke313

jburke313 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's called XM. The only way broadcasting could have the cost covered, without advertising, is with subscriptions. But it would be nice!

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For something like $18/month to pay for stations I never listen to; tried it twice; not for me. You've got Pandora for "controlled music", but my talk/traffic radio is the principle station I favor and the commercials will drive you crazy. Commercials can be tolerated in moderation, but these guys will play the same annoying bits as much as 5 times an hour!

jburke313 and martydallas like this.
  4. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't stand CMs either, and am someone to constantly change the channel once a CM comes on -- or if it's a podcast with a "brought to you by", I instantly FF a bit. I can't remember the last time I let something just play untouched when CMs come on.

The free answer is to listen to NPR, where you DO have "sponsored by" ads, but only a few, and they're usually only at the beginning and end of the broadcast (when you can easily turn it off or to something else for a bit).

Your suggestion reminds me of the VHS player I once had, that had a "30 Sec" button on it. Each press made the VCR skip ahead 30 seconds. Very convenient... :)

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Podcasts.

Bob Wilson

Trelauney likes this.
  6. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, good points and I listen to NPR too, mainly for Market Report. They have fine programming and their commercials are totally fine. You know the AM commercials I'm talking about, toys for kids, chevy commercial, insurance commercial, etc. They just keep hammering those when you're trying to get latest traffic or political info. The electronic filter would seem to be a cool toy with all the technology available.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You do have cached radio. Just start the car up earlier in the morning, pause the radio and then when you start off, press PLAY and skip through the commercials.

8. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's exactly what I do, both at home and in the car! I was just my hoping that technology might come to the rescue. In the meantime, thank goodness for the mute and station preselect buttons!

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That feature was known as "Commercial Skip". I had something even better, a pricier feature found on some Panasonic models named "Commercial Advance", using a proprietary algorithm that some guy invented which could detect the beginning and ending of commercial breaks. The actual method was kept secret, but apparently it detected changes in the electronic signal that occurred at the beginning and ending of nearly all commercial breaks. It worked incredibly well. You would set your VCR as usual to record say a thirty minute program. When the recording ended you would hear it rewind to the starting point, then it would fast forward at high speed through the recording so that it could mark the commercial breaks. Then later when you played the recording, when a commercial started it would automatically fast forward through the entire commercial break. You would see the commercials going by at high speed but with no sound. As it approached the end of the commercial break it would start gradually slowing down, ultimately and smoothly arriving at normal speed at the exact moment that your program started again, and the audio would then resume exactly on time. It was so accurate it was eerie. The only flaw was that occasionally it would not skip a commercial, apparently because it wasn't able to confidently detect whatever signals it was looking for. But that didn't seem to happen very often.

Sadly for whatever reason (probably legal) Commercial Advance did not make the transition to DVR's. I think one of my thumbs is now shorter than the other from manually fast forwarding through commercials.

stevepea and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  10. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Commercial Advance... ah, the good old days :)
    And Tideland makes a great point about the cache radio.

Though slightly off topic, I'll ask it here, as it's not worth starting another thread. When you're doing Navi, you can't change the volume of the navigation speech while it's going on, right? I know you can go into settings and change it in settings, but as it's speaking, if a loud noise goes by and you need to make it louder (or it's too loud an annoying), you can't change it on the fly as it speaks, by either the +/- key or the volume knob (on the 7" vers), right? I tried, didn't seem to change it. Would be nice if you could change it "on the fly" instead of having to go through a bunch of menus and only change it in Settings..

#10 stevepea, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.