1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annoying noise after tire rotation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by quantumslip, May 9, 2010.

1. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDD-zLP54w]YouTube - MVI_0382.MOV[/ame]

So I just got a tire rotation as part of my oil change. Afterward I started to hear a weird noise whenever I was driving on smooth and quiet roads; the other times other noises cover it up. It sounds like something is spinning and generating a noise (8 rev/sec or so?); it is hard to describe it but if you listen carefully to the noise in the video I think you can hear it; it's easier to hear in the latter half (0:19 onwards) and should stick out from the normal road noise.

Any thoughts on what it is? It is driving me nuts because I am used to a much quieter cabin, so a little noise like this sticks out a lot.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got something like that fairly bigtime when I rotated my
    Hydroedges front-to-back after a bit too long period of neglect.
    The reason is that the front vs. rear camber is fairly different,
    and the tread blocks wear different ways and then you go and
    swap them and change the angle at which they contact the road.
    It'll mellow out after a while, and is harmless.
    _H*

3. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hmm, i did rotate my tires after 10,000 miles recently (to align with the new oil change interval). it has been around 1500 miles since i did that (a little over 2 weeks ago). i had rotated it at 5k intervals the previous 2 times (i am now at around 22,000 miles, rotation @ 20k, previous rotation @ the 5k and 10k mark). i drive a lot in a short time (august '09 was when i got the car) so maybe that has something to do with it as well?

4. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going to wait 10k miles to rotate the tires, then forget it - there's no point. By that time, the wear pattern is past changing, and you indeed are going to hear noises, and possibly vibrations, because of the differences in tread wear.

I do just the opposite - I rotate at 2.5k intervals, at home, using cheap floor jacks at all four jacking points. Takes about half an hour, and I know the bolt torque is right. To keep wear patterns from developing, I move the front tires to the opposite sides on the rear, and then move the rear tires forward on the same side - this assures no tire takes a "directional set" in either the tread or the carcass....another potential source of noise and vibration if the tires are left in the same position too long.

I'm ultra-sensitive to tire vibrations and irregularities - nothing makes a bigger difference to the way a car behaves on the road than the tires. I just replaced the Bridgestone Ecopias on our '10 with Michelin Harmonys mounted on Gen 2 alloys from an '05 [the specs for the wheels are the same] - what a difference....everything improved. [No, I didn't bother with the silly TPMS sensors, so the warning light is on all the time....which I just ignore.]

5. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've rotated tires twice now on my Prius--the first at 4K miles, the second at 12k miles. This time, I'm hearing noises, like flatspotting--put-put-put. From the front, mainly.

I called the dealer about this , and they said the 2nd interval (8K miles) was too long, and a wear pattern was set. Fortunately, there is no steering wheel vibration, so the effect is not major. There isn't much you can do except get new tires. The effect might wear off eventually after a thousand miles or so.

This type of tire noise is more of a issue in a car as quiet as the Prius.