1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Annual Mtc and Repair Costs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbacksfan, May 3, 2009.

1. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are these 5-year maintenance and repair costs of 2009 Prius from Edmunds fairly accurate?

Maintenance $408 $666 $567 $962 $1,643 $4,246
    Repairs $0 $0 $105 $254 $373 $732

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The maint. costs seem pretty dang high to me. First year you need to rotate tires and have the oil changed. Do it yourself for about $60, even at a dealer it shouldn't total more than about $200.

Very little after that that should increase the cost much other than at 30k, 60k and 100k.

Repairs...who knows, that's so random. I didn't pay for any repairs until year 5 and had some body work (non-mechanical) and struts..those ran me a grand and it turns out they may have been covered under my warranty if I'd have been more patient to check it out.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they seem pretty high to me, too. we didn't incur our first major expense (new tires, $500) until after 20k miles. i have no idea how one would go about spending $400 in maintenance alone the first year.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They look awfully large. In 61 months and 37,000 miles mine has needed less than $1000 for maintenance (including tires) and nothing for repairs (*).

* There was some TSB work and items replaced under warranty, but these were all redesigned in later model years. Even including all of this Toyota-paid stuff the total cost was less than the Edmunds estimate.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think they pulled the figures from their posterior.

Even if I took it to the dealer for all servicing, I would not have spent as much as their figures. My only unexpected expenses with 27k miles was an alignment check (dealer was less than worthless) and a set of 2 tires because I had an unrepairable puncture in one tire and did not want to replace it with the OEM tire.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Check out this document: Owner Summary

It lists my actual expenses for 5 years of ownership.

1 person likes this.
  7. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all so MUCH for your prompt feedback! :rockon:

It looks like Prius is going to be my next car. I hope I can find one in June. My current car's lease runs out in early July.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    While there are Prius that have cost e.g. $4000+ in the 5th year, this is by no means typical. As suggested in earlier responses, the earlier-year numbers don't appear representative either.

I don't hink Prius has hurt Toyota's reputation for vehicle reliability at all, in fact it has probably helped.

Learn at Priuschat how to control costs during those Toyota shop visits, and you'll do much better than Edmunds' guess.