1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anonymous donor contributes white paint to my car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by octavia, Apr 25, 2010.

1. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know my car isn't the first 2010 to suffer a battle scar but it's still a bitter pill to swallow when someone seriously dings your new car.

Someone left a 2 ft. long streak and dent in the side of my car yesterday when pulling out of the parking spot next to mine at the hotel I was staying at for school. Of course they didn't leave a note or do anything to take responsibility. Of course neither did the hotel that provides the obviously too small spaces either.

It's reinforced my intense dislike for big cities.

The small parking spaces, that are hard to find and expensive, coupled with the "fuc* you" attitude of many of the people that live and work there are making my school experience pretty unpleasant.

Oh, did I mention the 40.00 parking ticket I found when I got back to my wounded car? This from the school lot we were told was free on Saturdays. One of the few perks for us distance students.
    So much for that.

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the parking ticket wasn't issued by a government, it's unenforceable.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sure, but then she'd have trouble getting her diploma and transcripts released until it's paid in full.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Really sorry to hear about your battle scar. I know nothing that would get me closer to wanting to fight than someone hitting my car and driving away. That takes the lowest form of life to me.

5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ouch ! :(
    It won't be any easier to stomach on your 10th new car incident as well.
    Us "older" folks still get a sick feeling on a "new car ding" and probably throw up on longer scrapes. No, No not ON the Scrapes :eek:
    Last year my Volvo's trunk was dented and a note was left...still made me sick.:mad:
    I'm sorry.:pout:

6. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm an atheist, but I enjoy fantasizing about a special hell where people who do this get a hot pitchfork to the nethers. In the real world, rest assured the culprit will suffer sooner or later commensurate with their stupidity and lack of morals.

So shed a bitter tear and move on. Don't let this d-bag's failings in life tarnish your outlook.

7. Stratospaly

Stratospaly New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In January my wife backed into the garage door... At least this was in my 2001 Saab 9-5 and not in the new Prius, but still!

You can yell at someone who hits you, or at least get upset, but when she is crying and cant say anything other than "I'm sorry" over and over what can you do???!!

8. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I feel your pain...but I'm putting on side moldings to help prevent minor dings. I doubt that would have helped as you describe this as a 2 foot scrape. Was it low, middle or high up on your car? If it was low, maybe someone next to you miscalculated the turn to get out of the spot and grazed you with a front (painted) bumper. It's times like these you'd hope every parking lot had surveillance.

9. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have thought about not paying it. The principle of the whole thing but 32 is right. They will just put a hold on my account.

Yep. Rat Bastards. :mad:

You know, I didn't even want to yell and scream. I just wanted someone to show some courtesy and respect. I really dislike being in Portland. People are generally very cold and rude. This just reinforced that experience for me.

Yes it was low. I'm sure that's what happened because the parking spaces are so narrow. The hotel does have surveillance but the manager told me that it wouldn't show the area I was parked in. Maybe he was lying.... my experience so far with people I've dealt with in Portland is that they would rather lie to convenience themselves than work to help someone else.

10. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    How is the hotel going to hold up your transcript? Check it out before you pay it. Look for a loophole, just on general principles.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that really stinks. Some just don't want to take responsibility.

Sorry 'bout that. :(

12. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any chance you will be back in the same parking lot this week and be able to look for your paint on a white car?

13. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great thought !!!:D

1 person likes this.
  14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The ticket was for a school parking lot, not the hotel parking lot.

Tom

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry Octavia. Hopefully this is as bad a treatment as your Prius ever gets from discourteous people.

16. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I guess you are right, but in looking at the original post, it wasn't all that clear: "Someone left a 2 ft. long streak and dent in the side of my car yesterday when pulling out of the parking spot next to mine at the hotel I was staying at for school. Of course they didn't leave a note or do anything to take responsibility. Of course neither did the hotel that provides the obviously too small spaces either." and then: " Oh, did I mention the 40.00 parking ticket I found when I got back to my wounded car? This from the school lot we were told was free on Saturdays. One of the few perks for us distance students.
    So much for that."

I guess in reading that again, I guess she didn't mean that it was a lot at the hotel provided for commuting students which she got the ticket for. Sorry about that.

17. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would never want my car at a school......

18. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was unclear. I was ranting and raving and not doing it with much clarity or forethought. :)

The hotel parking and the school lot are two different places. I visited both during the not-a-good-day-for-my-car day.

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Octavia, the 1st ding always hurts the most. Can we see some pix? Maybe it won't look so bad when it is cleaned up. "If you eat a live toad 1st thing in the morning, nothing worse will hapen to either of you the rest of the day".

1 person likes this.
  20. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife parked her brand new Prius at work, on a side street by the office. When she went to go home she noticed an 8" deep gouge in the left rear bumper and about 2" of dark blue paint transferred onto the previously perfect Blizzard Pearl paint. No one was around, and no notes of any kind were left.

To say I was very much not happy would be a gross understatement. I reported the hit-n-run to the local constable.

I went back to the "scene" the next day, and the moron in the "run" vehicle was parked in the same spot that would of been behind my wife the previous day. The old beater dark blue minivan still had flakes of Blizzard Pearl paint on the right front fender. I called the police to come down and look and they agreed. The owner of the POS van was identified from the plate, then pulled out work by the police. She was written a ticket and I turned the damage into her insurance. The 10" scratch will cost just over $700.00 to fix.

So, the brass tacks are, go back to the scene and maybe you'll get lucky. You know what color of vehicle to look for and where the damage should be on that vehicle.

I do hope you filed some kind of private property crash report with the police. It's very difficult to proceed without one, even if you find out who hit you.