1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another 12V battery thread

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bwilson4web, Oct 19, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I wanted to bring a conversation to the forum so those who have a similar car might be able to suggest things that I might have missed. I can address generic Prius problems but since I don't have a 2016 Prius on my driveway, I can't replicate the instructions and measurements discussed.

BACKGROUND

You can check by monitoring the 12V battery voltage:
    • above 13V - car is charging battery
    • below 12.85V - battery is not being charged
    I've had a Gen-1, Gen-3, and now a Prius Prime. So far, the 12V is charged when the car is in "READY". I have not looked at other states and assume the battery is not being charged.
    Ok, I see three hypothesis:
    1. Increased parasitic load - obviously the amplifier is suspect. There is an 'ignition switch' operated 12V supply and an 'always on' buss. I would always recommend using the 'ignition switch' operated buss which can be tapped at the cigarette lighter. This ensures any amplifier draw even when off is truly off. However, there could be a light that is staying on instead of going out.
    2. 12V battery is dying - a cell could have failed and that could leave the car 'dead' each morning.
    3. 12V charger is weak - it is possible (very unlikely if the car runs OK after going READY.)
    A lot of these potential problems can be understood if you can read the 12V battery voltage:
    • In morning before using the jumper box. This tells us how discharged the battery is.
    • In morning after using the jumper box and car is in READY. This tells us how well the DC-to-DC converter is working as it tries to charge the 12V battery.
    • End of day and car is in Park and READY. This tells us how well charging has worked during the day. Feel the battery and see if it is unusually warm to the touch as this could indicate a failed or failing 12V battery.
    • Immediately after turning off the car. This is the best voltage the 12V battery might hold but we don't know until a second measurement.
    • About 30-60 minutes later. This shows how fast the 12V battery is discharging or has failed.
    So these are the voltages we are interested in:
    1. 13.8-14.0V - the DC-to-DC inverter is charging the battery.
    2. 12.85V - a new, fully charged, 12V battery will hold this voltage.
    3. Less than 12V - the battery has reached its 'end of life.'
    4. Less than 11V - the battery had a failed or shorted cell, it must be replaced.
    Now if you have a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) that has a 10A scale, I would measure the 'parasitic' drain on the 12V battery. Turn off the car and close all doors and hatch. Raise the hood and measure the current between the 12V battery negative and the frame. This is very tricky because there a capacitors that will impose a substantial in-rush current flow that could blow the fuse in the VOM.

To safely measure the current, use a clamp-on current attachment. The alternative is to run a jumper from the ground wire and the battery negative post that can be opened (i.e., two pieces of wire twisted together in the middle would work.) Then put the 10A scale, amp meter across the battery post and ground reference and open the jumper. All current will flow through the meter and we want to see a current in the 30-40 ma range. Anything higher means some load is draining the battery.

What I don't know is if raising the hood also turns on a light for the engine compartment. If so, I would try to remove the bulb and do the test.

Any suggestions or changes?

Bob Wilson

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If this is about a Gen 4, @Elektroingenieur seems to have found interesting news in the New Car Features manual, a current sensor on the 12 volt battery, something the earlier three generations did not have. They variously had remote sensing of battery voltage or temperature, but the Gen 4 can actually count coulombs and try to track 12 volt battery SoC that way.

That suggests that, when adding new 12 volt loads, you'd want to make sure that current gets counted too, so the car's charging system doesn't lose track of the battery's state of charge. The excerpt from the manual seems to say the new battery state sensor lives in the battery negative cable, so any added load ought to be properly counted as long as its ground return is to any body ground point, just not directly back to the battery − terminal, as that would bypass the sensor.

-Chap

RCO likes this.
  3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Raising the hood doesn't seem to activate anything Bob, no warning light and it doesn't even trigger the alarm (as on some other cars). It doesn't stop you locking the car or setting the alarm either.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it possible that the amp draws more juice than the inverter can supply?