1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another article with plenty of "feeling" and few "facts"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by AlphaTeam, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daver969 @ Apr 19 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]242259[/snapback]</div>
    In this month's Road and Track there's a head to head bake off with Civic vs HCH, Escape versus FEH and Camry versus TCH.

The Camry came out looking fantastic!

But, they also really pushed for measuring mileage in 'GPC' or Gallons per Hundred Miles.

They mentioned it in that article repeatedly, and then several times other places in the issue.

2. Mardikes

Mardikes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Apr 17 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]240950[/snapback]</div>
    Couple of thoughts on the SUV issue.

First, she has to drive like a complete idiot to get 17 mpg on the Lexus Hybrid. We have a Highlander Hybrid and going to the beach (about 60 miles with a mountain pass at 4500 feet, we got 29.4 MPG. Around town, with a short commute and living about 800 feet above downtown, we get about 23 MPG, would be higher if our drives were longer. Tell her to lay off the pedal and keep the needle on the left side gauge in the broken white line (or blue when going down hill) and lay off the pedal when she gets near to top of a hill. It is way too easy to accelerate with this vehicle. I wish we could limit the acceleration via the computer. If they did, they could boost the MPG by five or more gallons.

Second, everyone has to remember that sometimes you want and need a larger car. For example, when we drove to the beach in the past we took both of our Prius, since neither was large enough, and whenever we drove around we ended up in caravans of two cars. Believe me, two Prius use the same amount of gas as one Highlander Hybrid and it is more enjoyable being in one vehicle.

Third, we get incredibly good gas milage with our Highlander Hybrid when we take the Prius instead of it on the trips when we really only need the Prius. And incredibly good milage when I walk the 3 miles to work, rather than drive.

Fourth, Toyota made a decision, which probably is wise, to overmuscle their first large car hybrid. Now that it has been done, and they have heard the complaints, I would not be surprised if the next generation of the Highlander Hybrid gets better gas milage and has a bit less horsepower. They actually beefed the power of the 2001 Prius when they brought it into the US.

George

3. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Do you mean the standard Camry or the TCH????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 19 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]242343[/snapback]</div>

Looks like the media hybrid pundits are circle jerking each other.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VaPrius @ Apr 17 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]241216[/snapback]</div>

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Hybrid Camry came out looking very good. It was a pre-release version they were testing, and they estimated the price at $29,500. I'm expecting they'll be amazed at the actual price :)

5. engnrng

engnrng New Member

6. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Anyone else feeling a lot of frustration and resentment because of these misinformation-propagating articles?

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/edit...ndoped/letters/
    There was at least one letter to the editor ("I love my hybrid, even on the highway)

I refuse to fill out the NYTimes registration, so I can't post the letter to the editor. If anyone is registered I would more than welcome them to submit a letter to the editor.