1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Brake Actuator Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Richard Frailing, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Richard Frailing

Richard Frailing New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    everyone! This is my first post, but I've perused this site over the years to get insight on brake actuator issues.

My question involves whether or not you think it would be a good idea to make a 1000 mile trip from IA to VA with an actuator that has gotten steadily worse over the years, but which still seems to be hanging on.

A little background:

- The brakes have made all of the tell-tale actuator noises—the rattling sound as it recharges and an odd sound while braking that almost sounds like "clucking"—for at least 3 years (maybe longer).

- Over the last 9 months or so, it has worsened to where the actuator recharges every 10 seconds or so. Also, in warmer whether (this seems to be the trend), I'll occasionally put my car in reverse after starting it and the ABS, exclamation point etc. lights will come on and the brakes will be nearly unresponsive.

- The service light came on a few times, but would also turn off within a day or two. Whenever I would schedule an appointment to check it out, the light—as it happens—would turn off.

So... assuming the accumulator is in rough shape, but could hang on for the trip back home, does driving this distance seem like a bad idea? Is it unsafe? From my research, it seems the worst that could happen is I'd be stranded somewhere without ABS.

It's also important to note that once I get to VA, I plan to keep it at my parents house where I'll be better able to decide if I want to sell it, fix the actuator or keep taking my chances (assuming I get there in one piece).

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any insight you might have. I know this is a question less about mechanics than what you might do in my situation.

It's also note-worthy that I may be spending some time in the mountains on my trip home.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Umm, the worse that can happen is that you lose braking function completely. Under normal conditions, the brake actuator does ALL the work. You pressing on the pedal just tells the computers that you want to slow down and they decide how much regen vs how much hydraulic force to use. The actuator creates the pressure needed to apply the discs and drums. Your foot is not connected to the front or rear brakes.

If the abs actuator fails it SHOULD default to a manual mode where the master cylinder (your foot) directly applies the front brakes only. This is an emergency backup mode that has no boost.

Short form, based on your description, your braking sytem IS failing and I wouldn't drive it anywhere- at all. Besides the high possibility of having to depend on a backup system, there is the situation of what could/ would happen if braking performance was to suddenly degrade because of actuator failure.

Ask any airplane pilot- they have backup systems on the plane but hope to NEVER have to use them.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 mr_guy_mann, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No, not exactly. You will lose all POWER assist and any other additional braking features (abs, traction control, etc) but you will still have manual, un-assisted braking ability. The brake pedal will feel VERY hard and VERY unresponsive but it can still provide limited braking force.

"In manual mode, there will be no boost so the driver will have a very hard/stiff brake pedal. The driver will need so much braking effort in this situation that it may prompt them to tow the vehicle for fear of having no ability to stop at all. Complaints of “no brakes” or “barely stops” is the often how customers will describe a brake system that has entered manual mode (fail-safe mode)."

Undercover: Hybrid Brakes -

Yes, this is an unsafe condition and the vehicle should not continue to be driven.

Here's some more info on the overall condition that every gen 2 owner should become familiar with and stay ahead of the issue (because in many cases one gets a lot of warning):

Brake Actuator Failure | Hometown Hybrids

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's more than one possible failure mode.

The normal operation is that the pressure accumulator is kept near full pressure with fluid at all times, and the actuator valves send the fluid to the brakes for you, fully under computer control.

If the pump fails, but the valves and computer still work, there is enough fluid in that pressure accumulator to give you twenty or thirty stops (typically) still with pressure assist. Before you have used up many of those twenty or thirty stops, a constant high-pitched warning buzzer will come on. In Gen 2 there is a big box of electrical capacitors in the back of the car to keep the electronics and valves powered for some time if the car has an overall 12 volt power loss. I do not know for sure if the pump can also be powered from those capacitors; my s.w.a.g. is 'no'.

If the electronic controls fail, or if you have used up your twenty or thirty strokes with the pump not working, you will have a fail-safe mode where your pedal effort directly pushes fluid to the brakes, and you will be able to brake, but the pedal will feel high and hard, and you have to really push. In a Gen 1 or Gen 2, the fail-safe mode only works the front brakes, which might give you car-control challenges depending on the road surface, how the car is loaded, and whether you are cornering.

If there are gas bubbles in the system, most of the time you may not notice, because the pressurized accumulator is able to supply enough fluid to work the brakes even when it has to squeeze the bubbles first. However (COMMA!), if the system ever goes into fail-safe mode with gas bubbles present, it will be just like any conventional brakes with gas bubbles: the pedal will feel soft, may go to the floor doing nothing but squeezing the bubbles, and the car may not stop.

Floored-pedal-no-stoppie problems are nowhere near the most common ones reported here, but they do get reported from time to time.

So it's worthwhile to find out, as specifically as possible, not just that you have a problem, but which problem you've got.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True enough- but I never like to assume that a failing complex part will always fail exactly like the engineers think it will fail. IF the internal valves correctly seal or open as designed when in default mode then you have some manual braking. I hope to never have to find out.

Given that the OP's car has a noisy pump (so it's worn out and failing) that's cycling on every 10 seconds or so (so there's a massive internal leak as well), he may find out firsthand.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At the risk of repeating #4, it's also known that there's more than one failure mode, and "you still have pedal, it's just hard" is only one of them.

fotomoto likes this.
  7. Richard Frailing

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, everyone, for all of your thorough replies. I did know this is a serious situation, although you have given me more pause than I had. I'd certainly like to get the car to my hometown in VA, where there are many more options for this service that avoid exorbitant, dealership costs... and it's not ungodly cold in the winter, as it is in IA—somehow this makes me feel I'd have a better shot at selling it cheaply with full disclosure if I chose to go that route.

Simple enough, I don't have the money to fix it at a dealership.

I drive the car infrequently in the small, university town where I study/teach, which has allowed me to baby the car—rarely driving more than a mile or two at a time. Generally, service-representatives at dealerships stare at me blankly when I mention the issue, as the warning light turns off whenever I get it there.

For a little more background regarding factors you mentioned, I have heard a high-pitched warning a couple times upon start-up, always, it seems, when the car had been left in the sun, and it always stops after a few seconds

Hmmm...

I have looked through the forums quite a bit and do see that accidents have occurred from this issue, though it seemed the less likely outcome if I already know to be cautious.

Maybe it's naïveté, but I would have thought numerous, catastrophic, brake failures would have been enough for Toyota to extend the warranty on this part indefinitely. Alas...

In any case, I realize it's a serious situation and will figure out a different course of action than driving it to VA in its current state.

I appreciate all your info/advice quite a bit.

Any recommendations for a next course of action? I imagine in Des Moines—30 miles south—I could find a cheaper mechanic for this issue than the Toyota dealership in town.

8. Richard Frailing

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for all of your info. I'm trying to figure out what to do next with the car, with the knowledge that I don't have the money to fix it at a dealership or even a hybrid-specializing shop. My next course of action was to take it somewhere to get the exact codes, but that poses the question of whether codes are in the system if the light isn't on. Does it store codes?

As mentioned in my first post, the ABS, service light, VSC etc. lights came on a couple times during start-up in the summer but quickly went away.

Seems like running the diagnostic will cost $200 at least, so I definitely don't want to throw that away if it doesn't produce any specific codes, and thus I don't learn anything I don't already know—which isn't much, aside from the fact that the actuator is going bad.

Last question: are there scenarios where—to your knowledge—an actuator in this condition can hang-on indefinitely, depending on how it is malfunctioning? If so, it would certainly be helpful to know how it is malfunctioning.

I have an appointment set up for diagnosis at a shop that says it specializes in hybrids. If, however, I'm unwilling to replace the part at this time, it poses the question of what the purpose of the diagnostic is, if every outcome leads to the same conclusion that it needs to be replaced to be driven in good conscience.

Hopefully those questions make sense. I appreciate your insight.

- Richard

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is not uncommon for PriusChat readers to throw together an old beater laptop and an inexpensive J2534 dongle and have a way to read their own trouble codes for themselves whenever necessary. It never stops paying for itself.

From your description of the symptoms, it does seem unlikely that you'll find a solution other than actuator replacement.

10. 2004priusgal

2004priusgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade

Mr Chapman, A FURTHER QUESTION ONCE BRAKES REPLACED - continued buzing from actuator?

Thank you for excellent detailed responses. You are a breath of fresh air in a covid world. I have read about 30 chats about Brakes - so geting cleaer about the pressure and the many bells and whistles that the techstream handles. Duly noted your advise to acquire dongle / techstream, for next time... Car scheduled for Mechanic later today, to glean codes and maybe flush fluid. But in the meantime... What are the problems caused by not following the unhooking procedure?

BACKGROUND
    DIY Back brakes (shoes, drums, cylinders) on my 2004 prius 7 (183k mi) without software nor with out undoing 12v. Opened door to pump brakes with out car on at first, then with igon..

Anywho - bleeding went no where and he thus, did a gravity bleed. As you can imagine, the Exclamation, ABS, VSC and red brake lights came on. Now there is a faint, continuous buzing sound when the car is in ready mode. .

Test ride about 1 mile - braking forwards and backwards, below 25 mpg. . Brakes feel a little bit better than before.
    We cleared the codes via the 4 /13 jump, but the buzing sound still there and sound coming from actuator area.

Did we bust the actuator?

What are next stepps ? sound we try to undo 12 v and maybe hv plug for 10 or 20 minutes?
    WIll mechanic who has software be enough? Any other adivce appreciated... Do you accept tips?
    Bless you!

(my brother bless his heart, spent 4+ hrs doing this, but when given procedural research, If its not in video form, he ignores it - dyslexia. I cant complain = he already saved my butt by changing 1 HV module) He may have thought this old brake technology could not come with anything more special to do than what hes been doing all his life.... and toyota mechanic walked him through it without mentioning the 12v etc.... i guessed why$$ ) .

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    H᠎i,

It's not easy for me to say anything about the buzzing sound or the sound coming from the actuator area, unless you can describe them in much more detail or (better) post a recording.

Wouldn't be any need to remove the HV battery plug in any case; nothing in the brake system runs on 200 volts, and the output of the HV battery is completely cut off whenever the car's off anyway.

If it were my car, I would just occupy myself with other projects until a tool for reading the trouble codes was at hand, and then proceed to identify the issue.

By the way, if you say you "cleared the codes via the 4 /13 jump", you were this close to knowing what the codes were. The purpose of the "4/13 jump" is primarily to get you the codes (by making light blinks you can count). Secondarily it gives you a way to clear them, but why that keeps being what everybody thinks it's there for is beyond me.

12. 2004priusgal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade

13. 2004priusgal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade
    ok thanks, yes i messed up on codes... ill upload video if i can get small enough file to upload.

As i said mechanic said ibuzz was normal but i never heard a constant buzz before, and its coming from actuator area.

resourvoir filled to max after brakejob yesterday but after driving it 12 miles, its down midway b t min max.
    Front brakes changed about 2015 and last months inspection said 5mm.

Aside, we changed coolant pump day before brake job. Triangle thrown when i was on highway. i drove about 12 miles after that.

should i fill resourvoir to max or is better to leave as is to compensate for fronts?

uploaded small file here engine running normally cold start... buzz not evident ig on when not in ready mode. oops its not taking mp4... t b a

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only time the level should be at max is when (a) the pads are at brand-new thickness and (b) the pressure accumulator is zeroed down. Under all other conditions the level is lower. Techstream makes it easier to zero down the accumulator for checking the level. (Otherwise, it'll often be pretty close if you can sneak up on it after a long overnight park without opening the driver's door or doing anything that wakes it up.)

15. 2004priusgal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade

i copied video if buzz to u tube.
    here is the link. hope it works.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The sound I'm hearing prominently in your video is almost certainly this. That's exactly what the throttle body sounds like in my 2010. You might not believe me until you get your hands on a mechanics' stethoscope and touch the throttle body with it, and then you probably will. :)

Unrelated to the brakes, and harmless.

The engine coolant goes through the throttle body, and water is a great conductor of sound and there are other pipes and hoses going everywhere in the engine compartment, which is why the sound kind of seems to be coming from everywhere. But even in your video I can tell it is louder when your phone is closer to the throttle body, and not nearly as loud anywhere near the brake components.

kenoarto likes this.
  17. 2004priusgal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade

ok, my bro has such a scope and we will check it. relieved thus far. We are Doing Shocks / Sway next. last year she started feelin like a jack hammer... oh joy.

btw im in north east nj , but lived, shortly, in se indy. oldenburg... farm. it was heaven, but every other month had to go to Cincinnati city to get recharged... good memories in my youth! Have great respect for yall and your state...
    thanks again...