1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Case of Dealership Overfilling Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DougSlug, Mar 24, 2007.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 quarts is plenty. Save both $2.50 and the bother of a half-empty bottle.

2. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FOLLOW-UP:

After objectively expressing my discontent with the obligatory follow-up phone survey, the service manager later called and left a message, wondering why I didn't respond with "excellent" or "totally satisfied" on the survey. She said she thought everything went very well. I don't consider making a second trip to the shop, and an argument with a service manager who was quite pleased when she thought she had proven me wrong about the overfilling, a "totally satisfying" experience. I can't imagine how anyone involved with the service, or the subsequent rating thereof, could ever think otherwise. Just goes to show you how meaningless the feedback system really is. I can only hope that the negative feedback somehow reflected poorly on the service manager--of course I am fairly certain it never made a bit of difference in the long run.

Yeah, I know this isn't a big deal. I'm one of those people that thinks a small amount of simple courtesy and "the customer may be right" up front could just simplify the hell out of everything, yet service providers seem to ignore that fundamental idea.

- Doug

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this is a big deal. I stuck a note on top of the black box just above the dipstick saying "3.5 quarts only please".

The stick shows 1/4 of an inch over. I discovered that while they changed the oil (and perhaps used the 3.5 quarts as directed) they did not write down that they changed the oil filter. Which was probably full of oil...

They obeyed the "do not alter tire pressure" stickers though.

Some people report that 1/4 of an inch is not a huge deal mechanically and I have not seen a drop in mpg, I got 54 mpg on a 30 mile trip on the highway at 65mph today. I also see merit in the opinion that since everyone here reports overfilling it's something widespread. Despite the overfilling problem being common there are no headlines anywhere with engines exploding. I think I'll let it go even though it's pissing me off...

4. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Although I don't have my 07 Prius yet - it should get here in about 2 weeks - I do have a friend with one, and she has been having dealer oil-change issues. I told her to insist on complaining about over-filling, but she says she's "embarrassed" to start an argument.
    But she has a second, and maybe even more important, problem with the dealer. A mechanic-friend (?) put on something called a "Fumoto" (sp?) valve that he said would make changing oil "a piece of cake." Well, she took the car into the dealer for an oil change - and the mechanic there TOOK OFF the Fumoto valve! The service tech said it was illegal, and they wouldn't service the car with it installed.
    Well now - she got angry - her friend went to the service department and got into a huge argument.
    End of story? Nope - they're still arguing, and she's left without her Fumoto valve.

As a Newbie - I know nothing of these valves, so can somebody please enlighten me? If they're good, I'll surely get one. But if they are only a nuisance to service departments. . . . well.

And BTW - I ALWAYS demand filling oil just up to the fill line - and have had service techs re-do the fills on many occasions - grumbling and calling me names, but doing it, anyway.

respectfully. . .LarryR

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 3 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]454400[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have one, but the people on PC that do (IIRC) indicated that there's no danger of hitting one to break it off in normal driving. They should make it easier for an oil change, not more difficult. I don't know, but to me it's bogus that they would be illegal. I'm waiting to hear from someone again that has one. I may get one, if I decide to start doing my own oil changes.

Dave M.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The plot thickens. Last Wednesday I finally had 2,000 km on the FJ, and the dealer wanted me back at that distance for a complimentary oil change. I didn't have time to check the oil before driving out to the hobby farm, but the next day I checked it.

Almost half an inch over the Full mark.

I have a good assortment of equipment at the hobby farm, including a Mityvac fluid evacuator, so it was easy to slurp out almost half a litre of excess oil. I did call the dealership and let them know just how much overfilled the oil was.

They're quite puzzled by this, as the same thing used to happen to my Prius when I still let them change the oil in it. They always claimed to set the dispenser to the factory recommended refill, and they also noted the difference between "dry" and "service" refill.

I now suspect their bulk lube dispenser system is badly out of calibration. Half a litre too much on five litres is way out. So it looks like I start doing my FJ oil changes now too ... at least they're super easy, what with the filter right on top of the motor.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I will add another data point:

I was on the fence on whether to let the dealer do the oil changes or do it myself like I have done for previous cars. We take my GF's Avalon to the dealer for oil changes (and tire rotation) because the Avalon engine has been known to have a oil sludge problem and we want to have a record showing that we had the oil changed per recommended schedule (I read that Toyota denied some claims for this, claiming that the owners did not change the oil when necessary)

Anyway, I had the 5k service done at the dealer just before the Memorial Day weekend because I knew that I would go over the 5k mark on our upcoming trip over the weekend. Oil change and tire rotation. Express lube is supposed to take 30 min or less. They only needed about 10 min before I was paged that my car was ready. That was fast.

I drove 3 miles home and decided to check the oil based on the threads here. It was overfilled by about 3/8 in on the dipstick. The service order says they added 3.5 qts and a new filter. My theory is that they did not wait long enough for all of the old oil to drain out. I sucked out the excess thru the dipstick tube and got approx 1/2 pint to get the level even with the top mark.

They also:

1. Left oily fingerprints on the air cleaner housing

2. Placed the "reminder decal" on the windshield directly in my line of vision (I'm tall enough that I look out the top 2 inches of the windshield)

On Sat morning, we were getting ready to leave and I decided to check the tire pressures. They set the pressures back to factory (even though they noted on the workorder that I had them set higher) . I wasn't really bothered by this, but I discovered that one of the valve caps was missing and a second one was about to fall off. I replaced the missing one with a spare that I had, but I started thinking:

What if they did the same thing with the lug nuts? (Think of Ron White's "Lug Nut Day")

I got the torque wrench out, and sure enough, they left one lug nut loose on the RR wheel and two lug nuts loose on the LF wheel. Good way to warp the front brake rotors, if nothing else.

Come to think of it, the Avalon has developed a shimmy which the dealer attributes to warped front brake rotors. Hummmm?

I'm not taking either of the cars back unless I need warranty repairs. I'll change the oil and rotate the wheels myself. I know how to use a torque wrench.

8. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Apr 7 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]419520[/snapback]</div>
    So, I'm waiting on the delivery on my Prius (as my signature shows), and this is my first car, as I saved up for it and didn't want to wait with a used before getting it to get it sooner. Taking the public transit and getting rides from friends helpped out alot. I'm 22 by the way.

Anyways, I'm unfamiliar in general with alot of specifics on cars and such, as i'm a computer technician and never really been a 'guy' about cars.

My point: This post seriously makes me consider changing my own oil. I am a very strong do-it-yourselfer type personality and usually I like to be on top of my own things and learn about them so taht I may service or be well educated about them.

My understanding of an oil change is basically untightening something under the car (wrench seems to do this, as the above post says) and then immediately the oil will fall out, preferably into a preplaced pan under the car near you. After this I assume you tighten it back up and fill it with new oil? What is the filter for and where do you install it, and why should a person bring their own quality filter for an oil change, as I think I saw some on coastaletech and was interested at what to do with the idea of it.

Again, I'm a complete newbie at this as this is my first car (i'm 22), but concepts for service and such are not foreign to me as i'm a pretty good computer technican by profession.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ May 6 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]436345[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jun 4 2007, 01:14 AM) [snapback]454820[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. Is this something someone like me could learn to do as well? Rotating tires I didn't know could be so easy if someone could do it at home. I'm completely naive on what rotating tires is other than the obvious discription or on how it's done by one's self. Maybe this is something I can pick up on. :)

9. Larry_R

Larry_R Wryter

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This thread has raised another rather important question for me: if I change my own oil might Toyota challenge me if warranty work is necessary? Will they not demand some proof that the oil was changed on a "regular" basis?

I know that the dealer where I'm getting my (soon to be loved) Prius gives a "lifetime warranty," which plainly states that all Toyota service requirements must be met to meet warranty standards. I'm guessing that lack of oil change proof might void this warranty? I'll be asking them about that when the car is delivered. . .

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jun 4 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]454948[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, this is something that most people can do themselves and takes a small investment in tools to accomplish the job.

John1701A has a good writeup on his site: http://john1701a.com/

Tire rotation for the Prius just means swapping the tire in front for the tire in the back on both sides of the car. This helps to equalize the wear between the front and rear tires and will help them last as long as possible.

Here are some links explaining how to use a torque wrench:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

http://www.reluctantmechanic.com/using-too...rque_wrench.php

http://www.virginiawind.com/tips/torque_wrench.asp

11. westex39

westex39 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Mar 24 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]411564[/snapback]</div>
    Just called Toyota. They said to use the dipstick for the proper oil level. They stated that due to residual oil in the engine it would be high if you install 3.9 quarts. I checked mine just after picking it up new from the dealer. It was 1/4" over the full level.
    I'll just put in 3.5 quarts when I change my oil.

Cheers

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Mar 24 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]411564[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, My 04 took 4.0 qts , my mustang takes 6.0 qts. & my tundra takes 5.5 qts.
    Im guessing it differs car to car depending on sump size.. :mellow:

13. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wryter @ Jun 4 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]454963[/snapback]</div>
    They can give you a hard time about it, but they generally are ok if you show proof. The more organized you are in this fashion, the less likely they are to hassle you about it. I would recommend a spreadsheet where you record each service you performed, the date, and the mileage. Also keep a folder with all the receipts for oil, filter, etc.

Note the following from the 2005 Prius Scheduled Maintenance booklet:

"Maintenance and repair services may be performed by you or by any automotive
    service provider you choose. Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because
    you used a service provider other than a Toyota dealership for maintenance and
    repairs. However, damage or failures caused by improper maintenance or repairs
    are not covered under warranty."

"Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because you do not have records
    to show that you maintained your vehicle. However, damage or failures caused
    by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under warranty."

If you follow the recommended service schedule in the booklet, you should be fine regardless of who does the work (assuming they do it right :) )

Rob