1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Catalytic Converter Post

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Yin H., Apr 10, 2020.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get comprehensive insurance, with a low deductible.

2. Sportn07tourpkg

Sportn07tourpkg New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My C.C. and O2 sensor stolen 8/10/20 while visiting sister overnight in NE PDX. I live in WA state.
    I plan on replacing myself. I had dropped my comprehensive ins. 2 months ago. I’ve since added it back on. I purchased MagnaFlow from etrailer for under $500. I was hoping to find a unit off U Pull It type salvage yard. Federal law against selling. So for the CC I did not go with the OEM part. When I first looked I saw it listed new for $2500.
    I’m looking at O2 sensors ranging from $19-$126. High range being OEM Toyota part. I am not a mechanic. I am an avid DIY YouTube watcher.
    Opinions, experience requested for product brands people have used for replacement of both the CC and O2 sensor. How have they held up, worked? Any issues?
    Also pissed at the people who buy used catalytic converters off craigslist and don’t list their phone numbers. Only a return CL address giving thieves an easy way to make a buck. One listed in the PDX area will even meet the customer (thief). Reputable businesses get a copy of licenses when someone turns in a CC so as to not promote repeat business..

3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wow Portland Seattle and LA are having a tough time with all the cc thefts and rioting. Thanks for the heads up

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Seattle

We are? :confused:o_O Is this something I'm missing for having only local OTA TV, not any national cable TV news?

While I'm not in Seattle proper, just the surrounding 'burbs, it seems that the actual riots were short-lived and ended long ago. Some small scale vandalism and civil disturbances still happen sporadically, but nothing that could honestly be described as riots.

As for cc thefts, since getting snookered into NextDoor early in the pandemic, I've noticed only a single Prius cat theft posted, several months ago, in another nearby zip code, while parked on a major street for several days instead of in the usual driveway. Others chimed in about one cut off a truck last year, and several removed from a restaurant's employees in a single day two years ago, car models not listed.

A local sign-in to NextDoor doesn't cover the whole region, just nearby neighborhoods and zip codes, so it isn't comprehensive for the region. But I'm seeing no major pattern of local cat thefts.

5. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgive my ignorance.
    Are we saying that in California, you can only fit another one made by Toyota and there are no generic ones that can do the job? and how would they know anyway. Do they go around testing them?
    I'm in the UK and when they jacked my cat, I fitted a new generic one that costs very little and no need for any security because the generic one isn't worth anything second hand.
    You have to get an MOT (ministry of Transport) test certificate every year but on hybrids, they don't test exhaust emissions like they do on normal cars so no one would really know what you had on it.
    It makes my breath stall when you talk about thousands of dollars to change one in California.

douglasjre likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.
    They don't go around looking for the cars. Instead, owners must bring the cars in for emissions testing and inspections.

Data Daedalus likes this.