1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Check Hybrid System Question

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HollyAnne, Feb 18, 2022.

1. HollyAnne

HollyAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

Back in June 2021, I got the check hybrid system warning. Took it to a mechanic and he said it's a failing battery but that my 2013 Prius c with 121,000 miles still fell under the 10 year/150,000 mile California warranty and to take it to a dealership. They had cleared the codes, though, so he said to wait until the warning came back on.

It didn't come back on until this week, about 8 months later. And I drive the care pretty frequently. Not far and not everyday but around town 2 or 3 times a week.

I took it into the dealership today but was told my model is past the warranty, It was 8 year/100,000 mile and not the 10 year/150,000 miles. (Before I paid the $400 diagnostic fee, thank goodness)

So came home and did some online searching. I know about the vent/fan in the back seat. When I bought the car in 2018, the engine was revving after letting off the gas and I read that a dirty fan could cause that. I pulled an almost inch thick layer of I don't want to know off the vent cover.

I looked at the fan again but nothing is on it now. When the warning came on again this week, I was on the freeway and started getting the weird engine revving thing again but it was still switching back and forth from the battery and the engine. And when I got home the battery was fully charged.

Could it be anything else? I want to make sure I know what to ask about when I go back to the mechanic.

Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you really need the codes and sub codes with tech stream. unfortunately, the c only got 8/100.

HollyAnne likes this.
  3. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to prius chat. I could go into great detail on the subject but will try to keep it short. If you are in a carb state lake California your battery is covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles. I would get the bar involved or use a different dealership. Either they are not knowledgeable or they are being dishonest. I went through this about two years ago 149000 miles on my 2010 Prius in my case it was the head gasket Toyota did not want to cover it but they had to cover it because the check engine light was on and that makes it fail smog.
    Good luck it does sound like your battery is on its way out. I hope you can get them to cover it.

4. HollyAnne

HollyAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, y'all!

The car is definitely not covered under the warranty, @2010moneypit? I called 3 dealerships and emailed the CA helpline.

The online searching I've done does sound like the battery is failing. I read something about possibly a fuse or some other things. I really won't know until I take it in to be checked out.

The original mechanic said it was around $3000 to get a new battery and I'm not sure it's worth it. But I'm also not really in a position to get a new (new or new to me) car.

I read something about replacing the failing cells but again, seems a bit like a crapshoot.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they changed the rules a few years ago. older c only got 8/100. newest got 10/150 if they still make them for the us market.

the battery can be rebuilt, but a good job requires experience, knowledge and equipment. and even then, you can't predict when a nother old module will fail, and you have to repeat the process.
    there are new replacement modules available i thinkand even oem should be shopped around for the best price.

6. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry I gave you miss information. I really thought it was 10 years 150,000 miles. 3000 does seem a little steep for the battery replacement. I don’t know if you were talking about dealer prices or a mom and pop shop.