1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Coastal EV question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by McShemp, Sep 4, 2006.

1. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the 2nd Coastal EV mod I've installed on a 2006 and it's got me confused (the 1st one went great). I never could get the socket (plug position 27) in far enough so that the white bar would depress again. In my (many) attempts I eventually screwed up the wire on the Coastal mod just above the crimp, and now the Coastal wire is partially severed so that about half of the strands are cut. I'll have to get another socket crimped on there before I go at it again. BTW - All of the taps are correct, the right wires were tapped, etc.

Anyway, after my first attempt I just plugged the gray plug it back in and tried it out. The car warmed up for a few minutes in the driveway - the ambient air temp was in the 80s and the car had been sitting for over an hour - and there were six bars on the MFD. After the ICE warmed up and shut off, I tried to go into EV mode and I got the three beeps and the message about not being able to go into EV mode. I was guessing that since I got this message that the install went okay. However, I could never get the car to go into EV mode. I tried about a dozen times with the same result each time.

I went back in to check everything over and saw that the gray plug's white bar wasn't in all the way. After that, I tried to get the socket in far enough to get the bar back down. I never succeeded and my efforts resulted in the Coastal mod's wire strands getting mangled.

My questions are:
    1) Is the wire insulation on the Coastal mod so thick that the bar won't go back down?
    2) Is the install correct if I get the three beeps and the message?
    3) What would prevent the car from going into EV mode, but giving the beeps and message, given the vehicle circumstances I described above?

Lastly, before any of this happened ... when I had the gray plug out but before the install began, I noticed some chaffing on the red wire (gray plug pin 26). I could seen bare wire through the insulation where it comes in contact with the back of the plastic plug. Anything need to be done here?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably hadn't gotten the ICE warm enough to go into EV. Go drive around for 10 minutes then give it a try. If you're getting the triple beep you have the mod in correctly.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It helps a lot to look down into the connector with a strong light
    and a magnifier, to make sure your pin is all the way up at the
    same level as the others in the connector shell. And in the same
    orientation, so that the retainer bar will close correctly. If the
    bar is still stuck upward the plug may not seat back into the ECU
    correctly, and that's the *last* thing you want to be driving around
    with. If you've got mangled wires and questionable fit then get
    in there and redo it until it's right...
    _H*

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Sep 5 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]314234[/snapback]</div>
    My bet is your installation was correct and the HV battery was too warm, above 45C, for the three beeps.

Ken@Japan

5. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Sep 4 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]314322[/snapback]</div>
    I think the installation was right, and I hosed the wire for naught. With the conditions I described, I'd be hard pressed to believe the batt temp was too high to go into EV mode (without CAN-view I'm in the dark though).

My main concern in the re-try will be getting the bar on the plug locked down again.