1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Coolant Question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff S., Jun 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer wants $299 to "flush" both engine coolants. It's a 2009 with 128K and the coolants have never been changed.

I have read the forum backwards and forwards and am getting conflicting opinion.

So, I will ask again.

1) Should I pay the dealer to flush both coolants? Or just the inverter coolant?
    2) Should I rely on a dealer for this service or try and find a cheaper mechanic?

Thank you to everyone that gave their input, even if was just a yes/no.

Sincerely,

Jeff

2. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Gen IV (you posted in the wrong forum) has a maintenance book with a schedule for checking these fluids. Check yours for recommendations.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe so. check your maint. manual, i think coolant changes around 100-120k.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is just a drain and fill of the coolants. You would need no more than 3-4 gallons for both. If you DIY this job, it would cost about $100 or less.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just did both for a total cost of $60 for three gallons of coolant. I had already purchased the Mini VCI tool ($25), which is not required but makes the job easy. You do need specialized knowledge and tools for the engine and it's tricky to bleed correctly and completely. The inverter is much easier, but critical to get it right. There are Youtube videos for both.

I would not trust a non-Prius mechanic to bleed the engine coolant correctly, and I've heard of dealer mechs getting it wrong, too.

Don't let anyone sell you a flush job. Just drain and fill.

The hardest part of the job for me was removing the splash guards from the left front for access to the drain. It took a couple of hours for both loops, including test driving and fiddling around with topping off after cooling down, etc.

Next time I change the inverter coolant at 150K, I'll probably put in a new pump too--cheap insurance for a critical part.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 on the inverter pump. They only work for about 100k miles and they go out at the worst times. Think of it as a 12v battery change every 5 years.

8. hesty24

hesty24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Man, I got ripped off. I paid $300 for each, plus $300 for ATF change (central texas). Dropped $200 on a 12V battery. I am not even sure they got the engine coolant right as I cannot see coolant under the radiator cap. Took it back and explained that I was not getting a warm fuzzy on that one, and they took it to the back to add more. What it looks like they did was just fill the overflow reservoir. Looked under the radiator cap tonight while doing an oil change, and no coolant under the radiator cap. I'm at a loss here guys. What do you suggest I do?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your actually looking at the rad cap and the coolant keeps going down that could mean 2 things.

1---They actually did flush the coolant out and like most dealers we see here were incapable of getting all the air out of the system and the coolant level is moving around. Be careful here because if it has a big airlock it can overheat the motor and warp the aluminum head. See many of those on this site. very difficult to get air out with a coolant change because the CHRS canister creates an airlock.
    Turn on the heat in the cabin and listen closely for gurgling under the dash That means you have an airlock.

Or 2---You have a coolant leak. usually caused by a bad engine coolant pump. get flashlight look at front of engine which is on the passenger side of the car and look for any green flakes deep down by the pump and by the coolant pump belt. I would have that belt changed asap. Its way over due if it fails the engine will over heat and you'll never know till its too late.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is stock SLLC he'd be looking for pink residue.

jerrymildred likes this.