1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Day, Another Gay Republican Homophobe is Outed

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Aug 28, 2007.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Mark, you are missing the point. The point is that the senator goes to work everyday enacting the very type of legislation that he is now (apparently) guilty of violating.

It's as if the head of the INS has illegals cleaning his house.

Nate

2. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While this certainly makes him look damn stupid and a hypocrite, I don't think it is anything he should resign over. If we wants to resign because he's ashamed (as he probably should be) then he should. However, if he wants to stay in office, his re-election is next year, the voters can decide what to do with him then.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 29 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]503712[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. To me it is the hypocrisy that stands out. He could have easily beat the charge but it would have ruined his career so instead he plead to a lesser charge and hoped no one would notice.

I also don't think he will get a chance to wait let the voters decide. With the Senate ethics committee starting an investigation and his fellow Republicans ready to burn him at the stake to prove that they still hate gays, he really doesn't stand a chance. I think the very best outcome he can expect is to cut a deal with his party to agree not run for reelection and finish his term.

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He said his actions were misconstrued. Maybe he was just signaling that he needed some toilet paper? ;)

One thing that bothers me -- if the officer's foot was so close to the adjacent stall that the person next door could touch it with his own foot, wasn't the officer deliberately setting him up?

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 29 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]503734[/snapback]</div>
    Can you spare a square?

BTW, the police is allowed deceit in order to expose criminals. Think of undercover prostitutes. Soliciting sex in a bathroom is not the kind of behavior you can easily elicit from someone at random.

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 29 2007, 07:23 AM) [snapback]503734[/snapback]</div>
    This is an undercover vice squad cop investigating a complaint of "lewd conduct" in a public restroom, and here is his statement in his police report (editing & emphasis mine):

"... At 1216 hours, Craig tapped his right foot. I recognized this as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct. Craig tapped his toes several times and moved his foot closer to my foot. I moved my foot up and down slowly … I could hear several unknown persons in the restroom … The presence of others did not seem to deter Craig as he moved his right foot so that it touched the side of my left foot …"

It sure looks like egging on the senator to me.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Egging him on?! Come on folks, I had no idea these were even clues, but the SECOND someone started trying to put their foot under the stall all sorts of alarms would be going off in my head. The LAST thing I'd do is respond in any kind of positive way. Indeed I'd move away as quickly as possible and try to send as many negative signs as possible.

Obviously for an undercover cop to be effective he's got to roll play some. It is quite apparent, to me at least, that Craig knew what all these signals meant, was responding and/or initiating in a positive way. If he hadn't why would he even consider for a second entering a guilty plea? Why wouldn't he have been on the news making a stink about being framed and inappropriately detained?

There's no mistaking this for what it is, but the spin machines are doing their work as Craig tries to get out of this, and I'm sure his republican fans will accept any lie he feeds them.

8. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Aug 29 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]503736[/snapback]</div>
    "Soliciting sex" or "soliciting sex in a bathroom" is not a crime. The senator was not charged with any kind of sex crime. Minnesota has 368 statutes that address sex and criminal sex and not a SINGLE one of them applied here. He was instead charged with disturbing the peace and interfering with privacy - I believe precisely BECAUSE soliciting sex is not a crime, and the vice squad has to grasp at straws because the law does NOT back up what they construe as criminal behavior: a GAY solicitation for sex.

9. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think Nate's post bears repeating.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 29 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]503709[/snapback]</div>

10. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Aug 29 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]503749[/snapback]</div>
    In a bathroom to strangers it might be. Regardless, its creepy enough for me. I am glad you are ok with public bathroom sex solicitations.

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

This republican senator has been accused in the past of inappropriate advances on interns. He was in the vanguard accusing clinton.

He attempted to 'one up' or sway the officers with his senate business card. This time the cops didn't bite on that bit of distraction, but how many times in the past has he used this 'get out of jail' card?

He was caught red handed using all the correct body language for men soliciting sex from men. He is a front line warrior in the battle against swiftboating gays. Like so many of his fellow Idahoans I don't care if he sleeps with sheep. I care that on each and every front which the republicans use to divide this nation, their troops are caught in their own trap.

It's the HYPOCRITICALNESS of their nature which needs to be brought down. No, I WOULDN'T react the same if a democratic senator were caught in the same predicament, since the democrats have not made it a national platform to split and divide the populace on this issue. Conversely, the opposite would be true if a democrat were caught in a hypocritical situation which did not apply to the republicans. Equal treatment on hypocrites.

The republican party is complete dust and of their own doing. If their leaders are so bad what does that say about the rank and file supporters.

I believe in fairness and I think. Therefore I am liberal. I am proud and I am strong. I am liberal.

12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Aug 29 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]503736[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I realize that the police use these type of of tactics to expose criminals. And I'm all for exposing hypocricy. What bothers me is that, while his behavior is certainly inappropriate and undignified, it doesn't sound like he was actually committing a crime. He made a signal, which apparently only those who know what it means would KNOW, and the officer signalled back. He didn't expose himself or make a pass at some innocent guy who just needed to use the john. Why are we spending time and money running sting operations like that?

And, I am a Liberal.

13. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 29 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]503772[/snapback]</div>
    You generalize your attacks on people you disagree with so much that your posts aren't worth the time it takes to read them. I know what you are going to say as soon as I see you wrote it.

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Aug 29 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]503749[/snapback]</div>
    In Florida:
    Two men having sex in public is a Misdemeanor (no more than 3hrs in jail), unless a person under the age of 16 sees it...

Man I couldn't agree with you more, this is a blatant case of the Police abusing their athuority to increase their STATs....
    And I am a Concervative..

15. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you guys sure like to talk like experts. Crime or no crime, the end result is he got outed and other skeletons are coming out. A guy is claiming to have done some nasty with him and the accused/convicted was invlolved with the page/intern scandal. So it was a unfortunate coincidence he got nabbed by an undercover cop? And it was a misdemenor which is insignificant to the fact that he has been outed. Whatever, history is now written and he is done. Another juicy political sex scandal in the books. Is anybody keeping score of Dem and Rep sex scandals?

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Aug 29 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]503786[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for not reading my posts!!! Any attack mode I have learned is from you neocons. What goes around, comes around. Next time you see a republican paving the way to the next "lowered expectation" be assured that new low will become cause de celebrite for the opposing party, so perhaps you had better spend your energy cleaning up your hypocritical party.

17. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <blockquote>- Meet The Press, January 24, 1999</blockquote>

18. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like the logical posters said, this Senator was against gay rights. Thats the point. After the Monica scandal, Republicans were saying that it was digusting that the President was having sex and how they could not let their children watch the news because they would have to explain sex to their children. And that now all kids know about having sex because of Clinton.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The senator shouldn't be charged with a crime, but his skeletons SHOULD be exposed.
    If Mark Souder were caught with a joint, I wouldn't want him convicted of possession, but I would want to know he's been a hyprocite the whole time, and see him twist in the wind. How many more republicans obsessed with Clinton's BJ need to be exposed as hypocrites before people realize that BOTH parties are full of lyers, perverts, and criminals?

20. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 29 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]503819[/snapback]</div>
    1) I am not a neocon

2) I am not a republican

3) It is not "my hypocritical party"

My point was your posts that attack those you don't agree with don't contribute anything useful. But, you can do what you want.