1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Dealer Overfilled my Oil Thread!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SoCalBPrius, Apr 16, 2012.

1. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Almost 2 weeks ago, I had the complimentary 10k service done by a nearby dealer, South Bay Toyota. I had everything done that entails the 10k service except the tire rotation which I specifically told them I don't need as I've been rotating my own tires between switching my aftermarket to stock wheels & tires. Of course, I asked em if they were using the Toyota 0w/20 synthetic oil, to which my advisor confirmed, "yes". It took them approx. 1 1/2 hours total for the service which was faster than the 1 hour 45 min.- 2 hour estimated time they gave me. I was stoked & went off my merry way. Nearly 2 weeks & 900 miles later which included a trip to Vegas, I have realized the dealer overfilled my oil:eek:. At first, I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary as my calculated avg. to & from Vegas was 49 mpg. which I thought was pretty good since I was averaging about 70 mph. I started feeling the symptom of lower mpg just 2 days ago when I filled up my gas tank locally after filling up in Vegas. Also, on my invoice at the dealership was all the inspections & check list that they did which included tire pressure supposedly set at 36/front & 34/rear by the tech. but when I checked recently it was what I had it at 40 psi/front & 38-39 psi/rear:confused:.
    I don't know if I want to entrust this dealer to even fix the problem. My main concern obviously would be since I drove nearly 1k miles, could anything be damaged? My other question is I know it was overfilled but not sure as to what extent as sometimes it seems extreme but other times not so bad as our dipstick w/ non-dirty oil makes it hard to gauge so here are some pix. What do u think. I have done the dipstick test countless times & on the side of where the min. & max indents in, it is about 3/4-1 inch above whereas on the other side where it indents out, it is slightly past the max level about 1/8 inch past. BTW, sorry tried to get the best pix. I could but became a little dark out.

Attached Files:

2. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you will be ok.I dont think it was overfull for enought time to do any damage. drain the oil to correct level.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks high to me - assuming I'm seeing the out of focus picture correctly :)

That was definitely taken with the car stood on the level? You can get away with half a cm or so but not a whole inch!

4. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The issue with extreme overfilling, with any engine, is that the connecting rods could actually strike the oil in the sump, thus creating a froth that could overload the crankcase ventilation system or decrease oil pressure due to the inclusion of air in the oil. Oil pumps are positive displacement pumps which don't necessarily function well with compressive fluids, e.g., air.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's hard to tell from your photos. Check the oil after the car has set for several hours or overnight. A lot of oil gets smeared on the dip stick when you check it to soon after it has been running.

If it is only an 1/8 inch over the max mark don't worry about it; if it is 3/4 to 1 inch over full you might consider draining some out. The book says it will take 4.4 quarts but since some actually stays in the pan and the engine it only takes about 4.3. If they put in 4.4 it might be 1/8 inch over the max mark. If on the other hand it really is an inch over max it would indicate they put 5 quarts in.

6. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanx for the reply guys. To answer some questions, yes, it was on level ground. As for smear that was what I was hoping for which is the reason I checked so many times but consistently it would come out more than a smear about 1 inch past the max. although less concentrated. I always thought the proper method to check oil level was to warm it up & check 5-10 minute after. I may get a different result if I can wait 2 hours or more & check. I have yet to try it but I'll try this as well. Here are a couple more updated pix. I know, still not that good but better than yesterdays;)(note, it is hard to see oil past the max line but trust me it is there albeit less concentrated).

Attached Files:

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First time ever using a dealer for an oil replacement, I brought in my new CTh for the 10k service since it was free, and it was over filled LOL
    To the dealership's credit they drained some oil without hassle.
    At home I exposed the manifold through the air throttle and using a paper towel, sopped up some oil in excess of a thin film.

Admittedly I have never intended to have future oil services at the dealership, but if I was on the fence this experience would be a reason to stay away.

8. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, u would think something so simple as to putting the right amount of oil would be a job even the dealer can't mess up :eek:but such is the world we live in. I probably will take it to a dealer a little further from me for the next maintenance & check right then & there on the oil level;).

9. prj

prj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After the dealer oil change, my oil level was between the add and full mark, about 1/3 below the add mark. Does this mean that they added 4 quarts instead of 4.4? I'm assuming this is good.

I did have to argue with them to do the first change at 6,500 miles instead of 10,000. But they were nice about it.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've learned from numerous threads here...and from my own experience with my Honda Fit..

You want to check the Oil Level A.S.A.P. after the dealership changes it. You absolutely cannot trust them to get it right.

My Oil was overfilled after a dealership change. I caught it, and they rather begrudgingly drained some out.

Now I make a rather big deal about NOT wanting it overfilled when I bring it in. I warn them I will check.

So far? They have gotten it right since.....

Somewhere there is a thread where everyone reveals what devices they have been using to remove excess Oil.

I guess in this day and age, it's an investment those that do NOT change their own oil might need to make. Unfortunately....

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In post #6 you finally got one shot with the dipstick in focus, lol.

I'd say you're fine. It looks to be about 3/16" beyond the top indent. That's an irritant, but not significant. The Prius dipstick can mislead: oil will smear along the edges, well above the true level. You need to do repeated tries, and look for a little blank space, that's the true top level.

My preference would be about that 3/16" amount below the top indent, but a few mm one side or the other are not going to sink your Prius.

I just recently did a change, myself. I put in 4 liters, then 0.2 liter additional, and ended up with level a few mm below top indent. I did let it drain thoroughly. I also let all the bottles of new oil drain thoroughly, when filling. 4.2 liters is equiv. (roughly to 4.4 qts).

My guess: they threw in 5 quarts. Does the invoice itemize number of quarts?

12. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No doubt, I'm going to take your advice to heart & check after every oil change. Seeing how they even fibbed about the tire pressure change/inspection, I'm wondering if they put the right oil(synthetic 0w/20):(. How much does an oil analysis cost?

13. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL, for some reason, maybe it's the lighting, bad angle, the camera or because I'm alone(that's it I'll go w/ this excuse);) but it's alot harder to get a clean shot & all the random shots that I took that I thought would come out ok didn't. I wish I took some good shots than u would see most came up about an inch over & seemed more than a smear but I hope you're right:). & I definitely agree w/ u, the prius dipstick is more misleading than any other car's that I can remember, couple reasons being that the oil stays clean & it's not as thick as other grades might be.

14. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm wondering if you checked your tire inflation while cold, if you checked it after driving the car it could easily be 5 pounds high +- per tire.
    If you have someone do service for you...you pays your monies and you's takes your chances...

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is true BUT....

I've read way too many threads similar to this one.

And often many people default to "Just Do It Yourself".

Which is great. BUT...there are many people who maybe physically just aren't able to do a DIY Oil Change.

Or simply do not want to do it themselves.

Let's be honest...especially if you don't have the tools...it isn't the easiest job. I'm thinking there are a lot of owners that simply don't really have the option of doing it themselves.

As an owner, I think you Pay Your Money...and have a right to expect that the service will be done correctly....

Especially at a Toyota Dealership service center. That one would presume does a high volume of Oil Changes for Prius.

Knowing how to correctly do them, should be a basic.

Sure mistakes can be made....but at a dealership, that not only has the tools...but lifts...and presumably the experience, the amount of times I read about Oil Change failures should be embarassing to the entire dealership industry.

The first time I brought my Honda in? I did not even mention "Don't Overfill" because I did not want to sound like an malcontent.

I also made the "bad" assumption that a certified dealership would have techs that knew how to do oil changes on one of their most popular models.

Well, after they overfilled it? Now I know better. I loudly warn that I will be checking...I verbally request that they be aware not to overfill...

I wish I did not have to...but that simply doesn't seem to be the reality.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Malcontents and whiners get better service, When they see you they say "Oh my God it's him again! we better get everything right or he'll bitch about it" :)

17. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Checking it after it has recently been ran will give you an inaccurate reading. Let the oil settle, then check it. I found this out the hard way. When I was in high school (a loooong time ago), I would check the oil in my sister's cressida...always on a warm engine. It came up short all the time, so I kept filling it, and filling it until it blew the head gasket...lol!:bolt:

18. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once again, thanx for all the advice. Quick update, I checked the oil many more times while the car was settled & not running & similar results on the dipstick(1 inch past the max). Convinced, I drained the oil & tried to catch .50-.75 quart of oil but because it gushed out & couldn't quite close it(drain hole) in time, about a full quart came out, not to mention a chunk of it splashed all over me as I was hysterically trying to close the hole:p. It was ok, other than the oil bath, it was better to take more out than to leave it short as I didn't want to do that again. I proceeded to lower the car & gauge the oil level. Gradually, I added a total of about .25 of a quart to level it off just below the max line, which confirms that the dealer had to of put in a full 5 quarts:eek:.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can get a little oil out via the drain bolt, but not by pulling it completely out. Get some sort of mason jar with graduations on it, back out the bolt until it's almost loose, then just rock it slightly ajar, getting a small trickle going. I know, a little late now, lol.

Isn't it great: the BS the pros can put you through? ;)

20. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haha, exactly what I was telling myself when I was cleaning the oil off my face & body, I didn't have to go through this if a frikkin Toyota tech/trainee had known how to change oil properly. Yea, sometimes I have to learn the hard way of doing things before common sense sets in:D.