1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Dealer Service nightmare - stripped oil pan threads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wr69, Feb 28, 2022.

1. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use a floor jack and put 2 or 4 logs (tree trunks as you call them) to set the car on....depending on what I'm doing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    UPDATE TIME: I have been trying to reach my old service advisor by phone for 3 days, left him a message, but he never called back. My goal was to agree ahead of time on the plan of action and prices, so I don't waste my time doing the tow if we don't agree. Anyway, was disappointed that he never called back - one more reason that I quit trusting dealers. Today, I just called AAA for the tow to the dealer, regardless - I need to get the car back in service!

Well, the advisor was out sick or something like that, so I worked directly the service manager, who confidently told me they can tap the old pan collar and replace with a larger diameter bolt, with the same 14mm head. This was in line with the "georgina-plan". I agreed and asked them to get me when they pushed the car to the lift, as I didn't trust they wouldn't try to start it. Well, I'm waiting in the lobby, and they never call me to allow me to watch them push it. So, I don't know if they tried to start or not. The main guy said it wasn't started, but my blood pressure was going up. the replacement service advisor guaranteed they would get me. :(

Anyway, the car was up on the lift, the pan verified stripped, and the manager stuck to his tap+new bolt proposal. I asked to see a new pan and compared the lisle replacement bolt to the inside thread collar on the pan. Take a look at the pics. the bolt diameter was at or near the O.D (outside diameter) of the collar! Manager couldn't explain how there would be any meat left after tapping the thing, except to say that the pan metal has held these things in on other cars - Wth - this guy is a manager of an engineering operation?!?. No way - for my car - was I going with that. In general, this flange is about 1-1.5mm thick on the threaded part of the collar. Based on my gut feeling and playing around with screws, bolts and metal for 30 years, I'm going to say, anyone in this situation, don't do it! It's too little metal. Toyota cheaped out on this part! You need to simply replace the pan.

So I asked for a pan replacement, with new drain plug and Oil filter cap. The service manager said he couldn't actually trust me that I didn't cause the damage. I told him, I didn't trust his staff's work anymore, several times after he tried to say trust us, we are professionals. I then interviewed the two techs in detail, who would supposedly do the work. The manager said the pan would cost me $180, that was his cost, and he would throw in the labor, new filter cap and drain plug. I knew I could get these pans on the internet, genuine OEM for $100 and asked him to lower his price. He mentioned he was throwing in free labor. In general, I was kind of stuck, but my time is worth more than the $80 savings at this point. I agreed to go forward with the work. Lesson learned, but I didn't need to learn anything today. I can afford the $80 or so extra bucks, but all told, I'm out about $200 for lame work by a legitimate Toyota dealer in Portland. Probably won't be going back to this dealer anymore, or any for that matter - unless the job is really complicated or time consuming.

Closing credits: I'm getting a drive back to my house (Toyota shuttle service) and the driver, who is a miscellaneous errands kind-of-guy, asks my story and lets me know around August 2021, they were having a lot of problems with "lub-techs", forgetting to put oil fill caps back on, and missing other major procedural steps. He also mentioned that the shop has had about 70% turnover since august; that's close to losing every employee and replacing them with another body - in the past 1/2 year!

So, the same general theme continues: Real labor and work quality in America get worse, prices get higher. Seems this country values lawyers and salesman, like we just want to buy crap from China, sell it to each other and when shit breaks, sue someone. Maybe we had our wakeup call this past week and can get back on the straight path.

Takeaways:

1. Don't trust people to do work: watch them, take pictures, use video cameras. Forget it!. Just do your own work - if you can. :)
    2. If you get work done, and before you pay, verify its _ALL_ documented on your paperwork so you have some recourse later.
    3. Ask for all your old parts back.
    4. Interview the actual guys doing the work, write down their names, while talking with them.
    5. If this problem happens to you, replace the oil pan, but buy one off the internet beforehand to save $100 - if you go to the dealer.
    6. If you do your own oil changes, I think it's wise to try to clean out the inside thread of the pan collar with a paper towel before putting the plug in. Over time, I think small metal debris could build up in there and maybe cause a mis-thread or gradual decay of the threads.
    7. Based on the other's inputs, I think lowering the Toyota-spec torque on both the filter CAP and drain plug are probably in order, maybe drop it by 10-15% on each value, which would put it at 15-16lbft on the cap and 24-25lbft on the plug. I'm probably going to try that going forward, just for the hell of it, even though I didn't strip this to begin the problem.
    8. Be thankful that in America, Canada or other "free countries", we at least have these forums, and can speak freely, without worrying about being thrown in torture jail, bombed to kingdom-come, or secretly poisoned with plutonium.

If anyone wants various Portland Toyota dealers' info, contact me through chat or however that works on PC.

Attached Files:

#42 wr69, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Georgina Rudkus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Depending on how often this repair is needed, they might have made the right call. I've been driving and wrenching on cars for a pretty long time now, and a stripped oil drain bolt is one thing that I have just never had to contend with to this point. So we might say they cheaped out on this pan, or we could say they sanely avoided $800-toilet-seat overengineering of a part that will hardly ever need it (and occasionally gets bashed on rocks and curbs).

I think when I was coming up, those picture-in-picture epilogue deals where the story continues under the credits really weren't a thing yet.

Hear, hear.

I think maybe polonium is the agent of choice for that nonsense.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like the Toyota dealer went to a M41x1.5 drain plug, which is used in Mazda, Mitsubishi and Honda. The M13x1.25 plug that I recommended might have left more meat on the pan. It that it is the same thread pitch as the original plug and did not cross over the original threads as the M14x1.25, it would have most likely worked better. In the older cars of the 1970's until at least 2000, a full standard hex hut was welded to the sheet metal of the pan. From what I see with your photos, the method used by Toyota is with a formed thin metal pressing welded to the sheet metal with three spot welds to save money.

I'd use an aluminum drain plug from now on and torque it only to the point that it is not leaking. The Viton o-ring is even better requiring even less torque and strain on the threads. The aluminum is less durable than the steel and will fatigue at a lower yield point than the steel, thereby sacrificing itself to save the steel threads in the pan.

Even better would be a Viton o-ring with a torque limiting head on the bolt that prevent over tightening. A special pre-rounded hex head would slip and allow the wrench to spin without allowing over tightening would alleviate over tightening by uninformed technicians. A plastic Nylon 6-6 plug would strip off it's threads and sacrifice itself to preserve the threads on the pan.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, from the photos, even with the missing section in the threads, the Lisle plug would have served just fine. The "interrupted screw" has been successfully used in artillery breach blocks for more than 150 years. The threads do not seal the oil from leaking. The threads of both the oil plug and the threads are under axial tension.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the problems you are having/had. As a tech, I had to deal with other
    tech's shoddy work and the "I don't care, not my car" attitude.

"IF" the bolt is tightened CORRECTLY, it's unlikely you'll ever have a stripped bolt.
    Yes, sometimes there are defects, but they are rare. If you feel that the bolt seems
    like it's is a little hard to remove or install, but a new one.

I've done hundreds of oil changes, maybe more, and never stripped out a bolt.
    I've only tightened a few to torque specks. It is just too tight. I've only gone to 3/4's at most.

And like you said, do it yourself! And if you do have to have someone work on your car, WATCH THEM!

7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The manufacturers could totally eliminate the issue of stripped out oil pan drain plug holes by using stronger Acme threads used for repeated screwing and unscrewing like the screws on vises.

A nylon screw with a slightly pre-rounded slipping torque limiting head would eliminate overtightening.

An o-ring of approximately 75 durometer that requires less pressure to compress and seal would not required high torque pressures to achieve a leakproof seal.

An Allen head recess would also be included so if the head is broken off, it can be readily unscrewed with a common hex wrench.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, because some idiot would use an air gun to tighten the drain plug....

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could sure change your oil quick with one of those! )sploosh(

10. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here are some more pics, proving definitively, the pan is much more likely to strip than the bolt/plug. That is my old pan in the pic.

The pan thread collar is 2mm thick on the old 2010 pan. On the new replacement pan, it seemed a little thinner @ ~1.5mm.

Also, interesting to note about 2.5cm depth from bottom of hole to bottom of pan. this represents oil/sludge which can never drain. I always had a question about possible excessive sludge build up over time, which never drains during a regular OC, remains in engine forever, contributing to the demise (oil-burning issue) of the G3 engines. I wasn't able to inspect my pan immediately after it came off but the tech said it was pretty viscous liquid in there - i.e., no sludge.

Attached Files:

11. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Another option would be to remove the oil pan, grind off the three spot welds securing the three very small 1/16 inch spot welds that hold the stripped threaded piece on and braze on a M12x1.25 hex nut in its place.

You could also use an add on transmission drain plug after removing the threaded piece, using red Loctite to permanently lock it in place. I would rather use a copper washer instead of the white nylon one,

Dorman 65128 Transmission Oil Drain Plug Piggyback 1/2-20

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously? If the oil pan was removed, I would think replacing it with a new oil pan would be the best way. It is not that expensive parts. And I would think installing a new oil pan would be easier than re-installing an old pan.

BTW, for my son's Honda, I considered this gadget... but since the longer plug worked fine, I never tried using it. It probably will not work on Prius's thin oil pan but on a Honda's cast-aluminum oil pan, it should work.
    Threadless, magnetic oil drain plug replacement for leaking oil drain pans, drip pans | Eco-Plug System Tel: 855-326-7584

13. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If I was going to install a new oil pan, I ditch the silicone and install it with a real gasket which is less messy and cost about the same.

FEL-PRO OS 30829 Oil Pan Gasket Set

wr69 likes this.
  14. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    im in agreement, the FIPG stuff has too much room for error. after inspecting my work today, I wasn't too happy; and you have to worry about too much: how thick fipg bead, how long before compress, how long before cure, how to seal around stud and bolt holes, what happens if you get the slop into a thread hole before the bolt goes on, if you have a thin spot, will that bottom out, leaving a gap; if it doesn't cure adequately because the bead is too thick, do you need to wait another 2 hours? seems great for a factory, fine-spec process, but not for the average tech, after the fact.

just to give another example, the cure time is 2 hours before fill oil and trans fluid - at least that's what I read. when I inspected my pan, I smeared uncured fipg on my finger and the block. this was probably 4+ hours after application. Now what if that slope is on the inside of the pan? how do I know that's not contaminating the oil? I have no trust in the system anymore! LOL :)

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have sluge in your oil pan, you have a problem!
    You are not changing the oil often enough or using the wrong oil, or both.
    There is only a few ounces left, if that much. And you would have to raise up the
    passenger side and let it drain overnight to get more oil out.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  16. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a really inexpensive option. Due to the really expensive cost of the dies to stamp these pans, they are most likely made by the same manufacturers that supply Toyota without the added cost of the middle man.

A-Premium Engine Oil Pan Replacement for Scion xD 2008-2014 Toyota Corolla 2009-2019 Matrix 2009-2014 Prius 2010-2019 Prius V 1.8L

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might even work for 4th gen Prius.

18. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  19. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even at $90 for the OEM pan, that's cheap enough for me. Good to know about options though. I have the old pan in hand, with the stripped stamped threaded collar. If anyone wants it to do some sort of experiment, let me know. I have been meaning to measure the total amount of residual oil (below the drain hole at level) and report back. it seems significant, like maybe 8-10 ounces. will update later.

20. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Replacing the pan was a good call. If the stealership were to cut new threads with the pan still on the car, where do they think those metal shavings would go?

jzchen likes this.