1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Dealer Service nightmare - stripped oil pan threads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wr69, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sure, I would like to have that pan and have my dad's friend experiment with it. I have the M13x1.25 kit from Amazon and would rethread it and take pictures to post here for everyone to see. A also have the new pan from Amazon and would like to compare it with the OEM side by side including weighing both to determine the quality of the Amazon replacement. I have found that these pans will fit inside a Priority Mail flat rate padded envelope that can be ordered at USPS.com. Please let me know, so I can send you a private message and have from my dad's friend send you $10 from his Paypal account for the cost of shipping. Thank you in advance,

I also have hardened M12x1.25 8.8 grade J.I.S. flange nuts, so if the rethreading doesn't work, I can mill out the spot welds on the pan's threaded adapter and braze on the nut in it;s place as an additional repair.

I also have special 111 Viton o-rings that require less than 10 ft. lps. of torque on the plug to seal, so you will never strip out the threads, again. I could send you ten of them even if they can be reused again and again.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Easy,

Coat the tap with grease to capture the cuttings. Use a magnet to catch any loose steel pieces. Run a half quart of strained old oil through the engine and have it drain through the newly tapped hole. Lastly, install a magnetic drain plug with a neodymium magnet.

Any residual pieces, if any, will be caught in the oil filter.

#62 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    jzchen likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For those who have done a head gasket repair, it would be a good idea to remove the pan and clean out the residue from any head gasket sealant or other residue that failed the head gasket.

Like I said before, I wouldn't use the RTV seal, I'd use a regular gasket like this one sold on Amazon. It's even cheaper than the Toyota RTV sealant.

FEL-PRO OS 30829 Oil Pan Gasket Set

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can't go wrong using what Toyota says to use on their engines...

5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    RTV applied by a robot is a lot cheaper than positioning a gasket, placing bolts and torquing them in.

Replacement of the oil pan has totally different logistical parameters. Waiting 3+ hours on a job that takes an hour with a physical gasket is nonsensical.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, maybe to you... Everything is easier at the factory.
    You can't go wrong using what Toyota says to use on their engines...

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not bad, in CDN $'s for me:

upload_2022-3-12_6-39-16.png

8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing. It would be easier not scraping off the silicone, if the oil pan and pickup needs to be cleaned especially after a head gasket change.

Check out this pan replacement video. He left a sizable quantity of that yellow gunk in the engine.

#68 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 12, 2022
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    While I do agree that would work. Would a dealer really do that?

REVVL V+ 5G ?

10. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, a dealer will keep your car for 3-5 hours, charge you for scraping and cleaning the old gasket, for a new pan and the RTV.

I'd buy the new aftermarket pan and the gasket, change it yourself (easy access with ramps) or take it to an independent shop, which will charge you about a hour labor, and you're out the door.

The gasket and replacement pan can be had for about $40 off of Amazon. The dealer would not install anything but a genuine Toyota pan for $100-150 just for the pan.

All Toyota owners should get this temporary plug to seal the drain plug hole and change the oil pan with the next oil change. It could be used for the oil change you do or the oil change place, including the dealer if they claim that the threads are stripped and try to sell you a new installed replacement pan for $200-300.

Dsnaduo Universal Oil Drain Plug 1/2 inch Replace 65200 (Pack of 2)

#70 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 12, 2022
  11. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i just finished oil change on my 2013 today. in looking at access, and in retrospect, i should have just changed the pan myself. its pretty easy access after you pull the gravelguard (under panel). So for anyone else, do this yourself!

I also did a little experiment with old pan: Filled with water at approximately level to see how much residual fluid remains after the "drain". Surprisingly I got about 18oz in that sucker! Additionally, there is a little notch in the collar thread to apparently drain more oil out. Given that the pan contains more than 1/2 quart of fluid after draining, engineering that notch is a joke. Also, my spidy-sense is thinking 16-18 oz is too much dirty oil to leave in the engine after a change of 4.5 quarts. I could be wrong and would need more data, but if it was easy, i think sucking out that extra .5qt wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure why Toyota couldn't have come up with a better design to fully drain the pan?!?!?

Torque settings: for those following this thread, I also modified the torque setting to what felt good. I settled on 16 lbft for filter cap and 22 lbft for drain plug, compared to 18 and 27 respectively per factory specs. Additionally the plug and cap, which I torqued to factory spec about 6-7 months ago came off easily. No kicking the breaker bar like I did to break the dealer torque! so yeah, the dealer f-ed up pretty badly. PDX-ers, email me for dealer info if you want, but im thinking they all kind of suck at the moment.

Closing credits, part 2: so I told the dealer to use my 5qt bottle of mobil1 0w20 when they did the pan. They used it - I think, although who knows anymore. But I got it back with about 1 qt in it. Anyway, they just jabbed away at the plastic foil seal, rather than nicely cut it off, meaning little foil pieces could possibly contaminate the fresh oil and fall into engine during fill. See pic, which is how they left it, except for the semi-rim cut, which i started, so as to nicely remove the seal and contamination - before I decided to grab a pic of it to share with all the unsuspecting not-DIY-ers out there. I dont think Toyota uses these bottles at the shop so its probably not a common occurrence. I also asked them what kind of oil they use, and they just said whatever Toyota gives them, but didn't know more about it than that - that was the service manager's answer! Is this country on drugs or what?!?! Don't you think someone who cares about their career/job would research the maker behind the OEM-brand oil and know that off the top of their head?

Attached Files:

#71 wr69, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  12. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL, with yellow oil, I think they need more than a pan in that engine. Perhaps a brand new engine! That has the head gasket leak problem, where coolant is contaminating the oil. And nice thing about non-salt-belt states, is our bolts remain looking like new after 10+ years!

I introduce to you.... the salt belt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Belt

13. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've been using these 111 Viton O-Ring, 75A Durometer, Round, Brown, 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD, 3/32" Width

instead of the Toyota crush washers for the past three years. I torque them to no more than 10 ft lbs. They fill the void between the welded on thread adapter and the sheet metal of the pan. The same washer has been good for six oil changes so far. Like a rubber gasket or o-ring on a hydraulic line, the seal is completely leakproof.

At 10 ft lbs instead of 27, the tension puts only 1/3 of the strain on the threads in the oil pan. That way, the threads will last longer than the car.

14. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Everything that goes into my car's engine as well as coolant and stored gasoline going into my car is filtered through these cheap paint strainers that can be had cheap at either Home Depot or Harbor Freight.

TRIMACO 5-3/4 in. Cone Strainers (4-Pack) 11101 - The Home Depot

125 Micron Paint Strainers, 100 Pk.

wr69 likes this.
  15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you look at the pan on the car, it's not the same as it is on the ground.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You cannot step into the same river twice.

17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Using my years of experience in the aerospace production and repair industry, I am now thinking that an old 1960's standard 1/2x20 fine threaded SAE drain plug with the widely available 1/2x20 fine threaded tap will allow repair of the stripped threads in the Prius Toyota M12x1.25 threads that have been stripped out.

The 20 threads per inch is very close to the metric 1.25 thread pitch. 25.4mm / 1.25 = 20.32 threads per inch, where 25.4mm = 1 inch, and the metric thread pitch of the original thread in the oil pan plug hole is 1.25 mm between the peak of each adjacent peak.

The threads of the 1/2x20 tap only increases the diameter of the threads to 12.7mm which takes only an increase of no more that .35 or approximately 1/3 of a mm off what wr69 measured as 1.5 mm thick at the wall.

This method would be a good option if you already have a 1/2x20 tap. You would only have to purchase a 1/2-20 drain plug for a nominal $4 available at any auto parts store.

If you do not already have access to a 1/2-20 tap. this set would be a better option, as the threads would be a little stronger.

Best Q M13 x 1.25MM Oil Drain Plug Tap Thread Repair Kit Oil Pan Screws Rethread Tool

#77 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    jzchen likes this.
  18. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good news!

wr69
    was kind enough to send me his stripped out oil pan, which I received.

The threads of the hole were stripped, as he posted in his photo. He did not send me the deformed drain plug.

I attempted to screw in a new drain plug with no success.

Then, I moved to an M12x1.25 retthreading tha from this kit off of eBay.

Lang Metric Rethreading Tap Set Thread Restore 6pc 6-12mm Made in USA | eBay

Lang Metric Rethreading Tap Set Thread Restore 6pc 6-12mm Made in USA

It worked like a charm and reformed the threads.

A new drain plug tightened to 27 ft lbs with a new Toyota crush washer.

To avoid stripping out again, I'd either use a Viton or HNBR o ring (used by Ford and other manufacturers including Harley Davidson) and tighten it to no more than 10 ft. lbs.

#78 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    wr69 and Salamander_King like this.
  19. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Awesome work georgina! Sorry I didn't send the bolt. I forgot about that, the bolt was somewhat stripped anyway so it probably wouldn't have been good to test with. Can you post a close-up pic of the threaded collar from the inside to see how much metal is left on the collar? Also, was this the original thread size: M12x1.25? Or did you have to make it slightly larger?

20. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two