1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another (different) 12V Battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dfri, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dfri

dfri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 Prius. I don't think the 12V battery has ever been replaced (I bought the car in 2007, and it definitely hasn't been replaced since then).

That said, when I do a battery check using the on-screen display, it checks out as fine. Stays above 12V until turning the car on, and then goes up to 14V.

However, I've been having a problem with the car needing to be jumped, which seems to only happen if I turn off the car with the driver side door open. There will be no indication that something is still on, though sometimes I'll hear 3 beeps (internal) if I close the door and open it again with the car still powered off. After a few hours of leaving the car like this, the 12V battery won't start the car.

So I'm not sure if this is a battery problem, or some other weird phantom load that keeps drawing power only when I turn the car off with the door open. Since the battery checks out fine via the onscreen display, and I don't seem to have any problems unless I forget to make sure I haven't opened the door before turning off the car, I'm leaning toward it being something else besides the battery.

As a fix, since I'm not convinced the problem is the battery, I'm thinking of buying an inexpensive portable jump starter or battery charger to take with me, such as:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J309-300-Jump-Starter/dp/B001U04NCA/ref=pd_sim_auto_6 (jump starter)

or

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC...4F6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329340259&sr=8-2 (charger)

But I'd be very interested to get a knowledgeable 2nd opinion from the helpful users on this site. Do you think this is a battery issue, or something else? And is the portable jump starter or battery charger idea a reasonable solution, and if so which is better? With the jump starter, are there any cautions to heed (such as number of amps)? With the portable charger, will that work using the under the hood connection that you use for jumping, or do you have to connect to the battery directly?

Thanks!

Dave

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you need to track down the source of the battery drain. the jump starter is a good idea until you get that done, it will work under the hood. also, don't shut the car down with the drivers door open.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think this qualifies as another "weird things happen with a bad battery" condition. Very few 2005 batteries have survived this long.

My vote is to replace the battery regardless of a simple voltage check. If that doesn't solve the problem, at least you won't have to worry about when the weak battery is going to strand you.

Three external beeps means that you've left the car with it turned ON. You might want to make additional checks that the car is OFF when you hear the beeps. Look for the Ready light still ON, and maybe even check the voltage for 14V+.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, robs probably right, just change it.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I have been doing as Best Practice to prevent battery drain, is always lock the car doors even in the garage. I thought I read on this site (but not sure where) that the doors will not lock if anything is on.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, the doors will lock if the hatch light or overhead light is on.
    No beep no nothing. You lose.

The hatchlight will kill the battery if not started for more than a day or 2. Or at least let sulphation begin and then its curtains for the battery.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you have to jump the 12v on this car.. ever.. it's dead and you need to replace it.

3 beeps is a typical indication that a battery is low. it supposed to be for your key fob... not the 12v... it's indicating it's low or there is many communication errors.

1 person likes this.
  8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    btw... anytime you check the voltage on the screen, give it a minute or so. you need to be able to see how it holds a charge.. not how it shows a charge when first looked at.

1 person likes this.
  9. dfri

dfri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

Regarding the comment that once you have to jump the battery, it's dead (also echoed by the Toyota parts guy I spoke with today), I'm not convinced. I had to have it jumped two years ago and it's worked fine since then until recently, and all the battery drains I can trace to having turned the car off with the driver door open. I've left it for a week at the airport and it's started up no problem.

Regarding the 3 beeps - they're internal, and again, only happen when the car is turned off with the driver door open, and there are no other indications, dashboard lights or otherwise.

I'm not disagreeing that it's probably time to replace the battery. But at $189 for a new battery, or $40 for a portable jump starter that I have to use every couple of months, I'm leaning towards being a cheapskate.. ;-) Especially since I'm wondering if my penchant for opening the door before turning off the car would cause a new battery to drain as well.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's really bizaro. I've never heard of another report of that particular symptom. One beep on power off indicates a low keyfob battery. Three sounds like some ECU lost its marbles... due to the 12V battery putting out something below 10V.

The current price for the direct replacement Optima battery from http://www.elearnaid.com/opdsopbadifi.html is $170 (+tax in CA). Recommended.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok this isn't rocket science Dave, the door light stays on if you leave the drivers door open. (you didn't really make it clear whether or not you subsequently close the door).

12. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most batteries are solid performers for 3-4 years.:rolleyes: You're on borrowed time.:eek: Why wait till you have to replace it and pay just as much $ in an unplanned setting ?:mad: If you're going to trade the car do it soon, otherwise ... Optima now!:rockon:

13. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine also was replaced month ago - it's about the time you need it unless you want to sell the car (then just plug the 12V to the charger for a day/night) and should be again fine for another while.

14. wag

wag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is another thread that might be of interest to you.

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  15. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Penny wise pound foolish...

The big picture is different(IMHO), by running around with a weak 12v battery the ice is running "let's say" 25% more then if it didn't have to try to keep a dying 12v battery charged, so that's a lot of gas @ 3.75$ a gallon.

Strange gremlins inhabit prii with weak 12v batteries, really.

If someone unfamiliar with the correct jumping procedure for a prius happens to get involved, the money starts to bleed.

But, if you insist, once or twice a month, stripping the rear storage compartment(access to the battery) and removing the positive connection from the battery(negative is fine) and trickle(2-4amps) charging it for 24+ hours will work, but you still have an undependable battery.

1 person likes this.
  17. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 05 Prius that has had very meticulous maintenance records kept with no mention of the 12V battery ever having been replaced. It's the longest lasting battery I've ever had in a car so far and I've owned plenty of cars in the past 35 years.

And no, I'm not having any issues with the 12V battery in my Prius. It works just fine.

It amazes me how many people obsess about that little battery. And, the Optima battery is praised to high heaven as the best thing since SIRI. How much better can it be than the one Toyota has put into over 1 million Prii?

It's bad enough that a battery that doesn't have to turn over the engine has to be so expensive. Surely Toyota could have found a way to squeeze it into the engine compartment somehow instead of the elaborate system of venting and such. Probably needs to be close to the traction battery for some reason, I suppose.