1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another door lock question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by edwjmcgrath, May 13, 2009.

1. edwjmcgrath

edwjmcgrath New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does anyone know if you can you lock the doors on the 2010 with the engine running and walk away with the keyfob?

Down here in sunny florida where it gets to 2000 degrees in a locked car in the sun, I never leave my dogs in the car unless the engine is running and the ac is on. On my Volvo it won't let me lock the doors with the keyfob from outside the car if the engine is running. But I can lower the driver's window, get out of the car, lock the doors manually by reaching through the window and pressing the lock button and then raising the drivers window while pulling my hand out fast.

Will either of these techniques work? Thanks. I know that the latter will work on an earlier prius, curious if they've changed anything about the locking.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2010 should be just like 2009 for this purpose (works the same on my HyCam too). The keyfob comes with a mechanical key you can remove and use to lock the car, even if it is running.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In Gen II, if you start the car, and attempt to lock the doors w/o the key within interior range, the car will unlock again.

4. edwjmcgrath

edwjmcgrath New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's true with the keyfob but in another thread posters said that you can reach in the window and lock the car with the lock button on the door armrest while it was running. Not true?

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Provided the door is closed, yes. The mechanical key (also included w/ Gen III) would work as well.

Or... you could spend the $500+ for the Remote Start feature.